Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want a second wheel set, maybe with narrow rims and rear tire on my manual AT.
Was thinking of 2.50 rim and perhaps 140/80-18 rear and 1.85 rim 90/90-21 front.
Anyone have experience when circumference difference make ABS/TC struggle?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have experimented with Karoos 3, Deserts and Trailattack on a DCT and noticed no difference in Abs and TC performance, except that ABS and TC were triggered much more frequently on the knobbies of course, to the point that if I turned TC off most of the time on the road to keep a decent pace. Now, all of these where in 150/70-18 sizes so you may be wondering what is the pertinence to your question, but there is a substantial (and overlooked) diference in overall diameter between the rubber above and the OEMs so read on.
Both the Karoos and (no need to say) the Deserts gave considerably reduced traction on paved roads (think wet road when it's actually dry), yet the electronics performed flawlessly. Even with the Karoos I regularly triggered even the front ABS in city driving at simply brisky paces, and I can say the electronics have adapted seamlessly, never becoming intrusive. If you consider the OEM tyres in my estimate are possibly as much as an inch smaller in diameter than the Deserts (or maybe even the Karoos), there is a chance your tyre/rim combo may vary (up or down, doesn't matter) just as much compared to your OEMs, so you'll be fine. ABS and TC have been around ages on cars and bikes and almost never get affected by much more radical wheel geometry changes.

Can't say the same of DCT peformance. With larger overall diameter wheels than OEM the gearing is altered a bit, and this could affect DCT parameters in auto mode. Even on the Trail Attacks (which also has larger OD than the OEM tyres, as nearly everything else on sale I am afraid) I think I can catch the DCT hunting in an out of gears, say in slow driving or at in-between-gear speeds in traffic, where on the OEM tyres I had not noticed that. Nothing major, but it seems to me auto mode was working more logically with the OEM wheel diameter intact. But this is a different story.
Keep me posted if you do a radical rim size swap. Very curious, I joined the forum exactly because there is very little info on that still....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts