Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum and I'm waiting for my 2018 AT to arrive at my dealer.
I'm planning an Alaskan adventure next July. A friend and I are riding to the Arctic Circle in Alaska. Since I have not even taken delivery of the bike yet, all I have time for really is just researching different options... Which panniers, which windshield, crash bars vs no crash bars.... etc...
One of the biggest questions I have is tire life. I live in Oregon and the winters here are cold wet and wet... I won't have many miles on the bike before I leave on my trip... I really hope to get the first service done as it won't be nice enough to really ride much before the middle of June...
Are the stock tires good enough for this kind of trip?...
This is a one way trip and I'm shipping the bike back to Oregon once I'm done up there in Alaska. Total mileage on the trip will be roughly 4000 miles... plus the 500 here breaking the bike in and getting it dialed in.
With the "chip seal" and the paved but questionable roads all the way up there and then the 200 miles of the Dalton Hwy... what can I expect out of the stock tires...
Should I swap them out before I go... get a set on the way up... or will the stock tires last?
What do you all get out of a set of stock tires for the Africa Twin?....
Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Todd

·
Registered
975 Posts
Have fun. That's a great trip. I did it a few years back. Bring layers of clothing since Northern BC, Yukon and Alaska are chilly even in the summer. Most of the journey can be done on street tires but if you're doing any of the gravel roads (Salmon Glacier from Hyder, across from Denali, Dalton or the Top of the World highway are 50/50 tire would be wise. You should easily make it all the way on a set of tires if you're shipping it back.
There are lots of opinions about tires on the forum - I like the Shinko 804/805 I have now, I didn't mind the stock tires for light duty gravel and street, and used Avon Trekriders for a cross-Canada trip of 15,000 kilometres. Lots of riders also like the road and offroad manners of the Mitas E07.
Good luck on your planning and journey.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have fun. That's a great trip. I did it a few years back. Bring layers of clothing since Northern BC, Yukon and Alaska are chilly even in the summer. Most of the journey can be done on street tires but if you're doing any of the gravel roads (Salmon Glacier from Hyder, across from Denali, Dalton or the Top of the World highway are 50/50 tire would be wise. You should easily make it all the way on a set of tires if you're shipping it back.
There are lots of opinions about tires on the forum - I like the Shinko 804/805 I have now, I didn't mind the stock tires for light duty gravel and street, and used Avon Trekriders for a cross-Canada trip of 15,000 kilometres. Lots of riders also like the road and offroad manners of the Mitas E07.
Good luck on your planning and journey.
I think the only really bad gravel sections will be the Dalton... from Livengood to the Arctic Circle is that gravel / mud surface... The rest of the time I believe we'll be on paved and Chip Seal roads.... and I imagine there will be repairing going on and gravel sections here and there...

I'm trying to figure out what I really will need as far as clothes... I have a Klim Latitude jacket and I'll have waterproof pants by then... the rest everything will be wool layers I think... good boots socks and base layers...
I'm really looking forward to it.

·
Registered
975 Posts
When I was around the Talkeetna/Denali area we had two solid days of downpour rain, fog and temperature around 0 celcius. I wore long underwear, pants, two layers of activewear shirts and top layers and waterproof gear and a heated vest. I was still cold at the end of the day. Water and windproofing layers are your best friend.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I will second the Shinko 804/805. After I wore out the stock tires I put these on for the next trip and they were equal in performance on road to the stock tires both dry and wet, and obviously a bit better off road. The only issue I have with them is that they are not good enough to go 100% in corners on the dirt, both the front and rear slide way sooner than other dirt tires so I have to cut back to about 75% on dirt corners (drifting, sliding corner entries).

I decided to never bother with street tires on this bike again and the Shinko rear will be my minimum aggressiveness travel tire but I will throw a tkc80 front on with it next time to reduce front end wash outs. It should last as long as a rear. I would estimate an 805 rear should get 10,000km if needed but be replaceable after 6000km.

The thing about this type of trip is if it’s rained before or during the gravel portions the road will be pure grease and you’ll wish you had straight dirt bike tires. But the shinkos will handle it, street or stock tires you’ll be hurtin. Plus the freedom of being able to go down any trail just to do a bit of exploring and get away from the grind of staring at pavement all day is awesome.

Just one fellas opinion here, people also do this trip on Harleys or whatever else they’ve got lol.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Frogg Toggs and maybe heated gear ???

I just purchased a heated jacket, pant and gloves but have not had any good cold weather to check them out yet. I don't know if they would be practical on your ride or not but I'm sure you will get good feedback from others on this site.
The second thing I would recommend is a set of Frogg Togg rain gear. They make a lighter weight set as well as a heavy set. I'm talking about the heavy set. I have used the same set for three or four years now and they have been great. I put it on over my "air jacket" if I get a little cold and it blocks all the wind. I rode 200+ miles in heavy rain on the highway one evening and never got wet. I was sitting with a puddle 2" deep in my seat and still stayed dry. They are very light and you can pack them down pretty small.

I'm jealous of trip! That is something on my bucket list but I don't think I will ever make it. Just getting a little too old I'm afraid.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would NOT run the stock tires. I really like the Heidenau Scout K-60's. Some swear by them, me, others swear at them. The stockers are very street oriented and I'd go with any of the more off-road oriented tires. I took the same trip in 2016 on a BMW R1200GS. I would NOT ride the Dalton if it is raining. The calcium chloride is too hard on the bike. If it rains when you want to ride the Dalton, I'd rent a bike for that three or four days. At the time, I refused to do that as I wanted to take MY bike. Well the weather sucked, I turned around just shy of the river crossing and now wish I just would have rented a bike for that section.

NC

·
Registered
725 Posts
I prefer the Mitas E-07 over the Heidenau Scout for Adventure riding. Mitas is a full Chevron where the centre rib on the Heidenau rear compromises traction on wet grass and in mud.

Rawhyde Adventures promotes the tires as does Chris Birch. If you are going to be riding more off-road than on, I'd recommend the E-10 front / E-07 rear combination. The more aggressive front block pattern gives more confidence in mud and gravel.

Check the pictures of the E-07, all versions have the full chevron pattern.
http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-e07-dual-sport-rear-tire-150-70-18-tubeless.html

·
Registered
415 Posts
I would not run the stock tires either. They are fine in warm conditions wet or dry but they are very bad if its cold and wet. They do not come up to temp and pressure if its cold and have very low traction. Save yourself a lot of hospital time and swap them out for a summer trip where its warm.The Mitas /Shinko/Motoz/ and a bunch of others are all good. I dont like the Heidenau with the centre rib either, dodgy as in my experience.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi there,

I use Mitas E07 and I can not regret after 17.000 km they are still in great conditions. Riding in Marocco on/off road aprox 4.500 km.

All together I think til now it was arround 3.600 km off road the rest was on pawed twisted roads in combination whit highways (130 km/h or more).

On wet roads I am not forcing the bike to its limits. As per default we all limit the speed. Throug the corners on E07 it is no sliding as per OEM tyres on 1016 and 2017 AT. In wet the exaggerating would not be nice ...

After 15k or something arround the front tyre is little bumping arround 50-60 km/h but after that speed it is great with out an issue. In the corner the tyres are whistlening a little bit but that doesn't bother me. Some tyre presure playing would limited the sound :)

As per my opinion those are realy great tyres and not so much expensive for 50/50 use. I must say that for realy soft terraind and Sahara sand I would use something better but I would not like to ride arround Marocco with another set attached to my AT.

This is only my opinion regarding my Mitas E07 non Dacar.

Good luck with your selection ... I know ... in April this year I was in your shoes too :D

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Another thumbs up for the Mitas E-07. I just purchased my second set. I think they're the best true 50/50 tire.

If you want something with more knobs, I too am a fan of the Shinko 804/805. I ran a set for about 6k miles and they performed great, but on and off road.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Another tyre you may want to consider is the recently launched Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR. I have put it in the back together with a TCK80 in the front and this combination is very capable off road apart from muddy terrain where one needs to be careful with the throttle. But the rear allows relatively high speeds on the tarmac e.g. 160-170kph with little wear and according to reports it will last for at least 10000km.

I wanted initially to put the Mitas E07 in the back but could not find it in the non-Dakar version (I want to be able to change the inner tube on the road) and this led me to get the Rally STR for which I had read very good reviews.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I use Mitas E07 and I can not regret after 17.000 km they are still in great conditions. Riding in Marocco on/off road aprox 4.500 km.

All together I think til now it was arround 3.600 km off road the rest was on pawed twisted roads in combination whit highways (130 km/h or more).
As per my opinion those are realy great tyres and not so much expensive for 50/50 use. I must say that for realy soft terraind and Sahara sand I would use something better but I would not like to ride arround Marocco with another set attached to my AT.

This is only my opinion regarding my Mitas E07 non Dacar.
May I ask about the rear in particular in the Sahara sand? Did you get enough traction? Did you get stuck anywhere?

I am thinking possibly of a trip there from London, UK, and I would prefer a knobbly tyre in the back, e.g. TCK80 as in the front, but I will "waste" it on the motorways of France and Spain. A Mitas E07 (non-Dakar) seems an option but I am planning to do quite a bit of desert and I am a bit apprehensive as the trip will be with my wife pillion and full luggage. Any view would be helpful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going to check out the Shinko 804/805 and the Mitas E-07. I don't want tire problems... just one thing I can't stand. I also want to look at the Heidenaue K/60...

Update on the bike though... I ended up scrapping the plan for the 2018 as they aren't releasing the bike until next summer (I leave on July 7th) so I didn't feel I'd have time to get it outfitted even if it did come in a color I could live with. I hear they are doing the Tri-Color red white and blue with gold rims again...
I ended up finding a brand new 2016 Silver and Black with only 6 miles on it... I picked it up and now I'm looking forward to outfitting it with the gear I want.

I don't think I'll leave the stock tires on for this trip. July 7th to the 23rd and 5000 plus miles... though guys do it with Harley's.... I would hate to mess up my Road King on the gravel portions...
Clothes will be the Latitude jacket and pants... Alpinstar Touring gloves... the normal base layers... and I'm thinking the Alpinstar Corozal ADV boots they came out with...
Can't wait.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'm assuming you'll ride right up the west coast but if you come over the Rockies towards Calgary drop me a line. I'd be happy to show you around or meet for a day's ride.

I'm going to check out the Shinko 804/805 and the Mitas E-07. I don't want tire problems... just one thing I can't stand. I also want to look at the Heidenaue K/60...

Update on the bike though... I ended up scrapping the plan for the 2018 as they aren't releasing the bike until next summer (I leave on July 7th) so I didn't feel I'd have time to get it outfitted even if it did come in a color I could live with. I hear they are doing the Tri-Color red white and blue with gold rims again...
I ended up finding a brand new 2016 Silver and Black with only 6 miles on it... I picked it up and now I'm looking forward to outfitting it with the gear I want.

I don't think I'll leave the stock tires on for this trip. July 7th to the 23rd and 5000 plus miles... though guys do it with Harley's.... I would hate to mess up my Road King on the gravel portions...
Clothes will be the Latitude jacket and pants... Alpinstar Touring gloves... the normal base layers... and I'm thinking the Alpinstar Corozal ADV boots they came out with...
Can't wait.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I do not know what it is in the design of the Africa Twin, but I am getting better tire mileage with the AT than I have with any motorcycle I have owned...... (I have been riding sense 1958, and I owned a Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki dealership for almost 20 years) I got 10,000 miles on the stock tires. I now have over 5000 miles on the Midas E07, and they do preform nice. To be honest it currently looks like I will get around 10,000 miles on these 50/50 tires.

·
Registered
43 Posts
May I ask about the rear in particular in the Sahara sand? Did you get enough traction? Did you get stuck anywhere?

I am thinking possibly of a trip there from London, UK, and I would prefer a knobbly tyre in the back, e.g. TCK80 as in the front, but I will "waste" it on the motorways of France and Spain. A Mitas E07 (non-Dakar) seems an option but I am planning to do quite a bit of desert and I am a bit apprehensive as the trip will be with my wife pillion and full luggage. Any view would be helpful.
On the gravel and hard base roads would be just fine. On sand and in the dunes the AT is a litlle different story. If you know the tehnique how to ride in the sand than it is OK, but not for two. Perhaps you would stay in the "kasbah" near dunes and you can try alone.

If you stop in the sand probably you would stuck in the sand. Local guys ride their Docker 125 ccm like they are on highways :D

With my AT I was swimming few times in the sand and is not soft when you land with some nice speed in the sand ower the dune. If you walk is soft whe you fall is hard and painful. Landing few metres in the bottom of the dune with stucked AT at the top :D :) Great experience :)

It was realy scary because I was road captain for 12 motorcycles and 18 persons.

On the other hand I was mor comfortable last year with my Harley than this year on my Africa Twin ;) :)

Till Marocco you can not rub the tyres so much that you can not be able to try some Sahara ride. I know what is the feeling with own bike to ride in Sahara.

No worries you with your backpack would be fine ;) :)

If would be dry they have the best roads arround Europe and Africa.

I hope that this was helpful.

·
Registered
111 Posts
On the gravel and hard base roads would be just fine. On sand and in the dunes the AT is a litlle different story. If you know the tehnique how to ride in the sand than it is OK, but not for two. Perhaps you would stay in the "kasbah" near dunes and you can try alone.

If you stop in the sand probably you would stuck in the sand. Local guys ride their Docker 125 ccm like they are on highways :D

With my AT I was swimming few times in the sand and is not soft when you land with some nice speed in the sand ower the dune. If you walk is soft whe you fall is hard and painful. Landing few metres in the bottom of the dune with stucked AT at the top :D :) Great experience :)
Thanks for this. A friend did what you suggest a few years back i.e. stayed in the kasbah and left his wife for a few hours every morning to enjoy riding on the dunes with his KTM 950 Adventure. But he had TCK80 tyres on both wheels while I will most likely have TKC80 front (it is already on the bike) and a new Mitas 07 rear I will fit for the trip. I am mostly worried about long sandy patches to cross on unpaved roads rather than doing the desert dunes solo which I do not plan to. But I believe it will be alright.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for this. A friend did what you suggest a few years back i.e. stayed in the kasbah and left his wife for a few hours every morning to enjoy riding on the dunes with his KTM 950 Adventure. But he had TCK80 tyres on both wheels while I will most likely have TKC80 front (it is already on the bike) and a new Mitas 07 rear I will fit for the trip. I am mostly worried about long sandy patches to cross on unpaved roads rather than doing the desert dunes solo which I do not plan to. But I believe it will be alright.
Yes with this option you would be fine. Before the trip just put the new tyres on your bike. Heavy loaded with two on the bike and long distance ride need new tyres for shure.

Sandy patches on unpaved roads would need caution. On paved roads wind takes care of the sand.

I do not have any experiences with TKC because the Mitas are great for that price I can get them. Mitas are made in Slovenia where I am from :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
I recommend continental TK70 front & rear. Just got back from a 14,000 mile trip about 60% pavement 40% dirt gravel roads. The rear lasted 12,200 miles the front made the whole trip

1 - 20 of 21 Posts