Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Tire pressure monitor

8K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  africano 
#1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with the Garmin tire pressure monitors that pair with the zumo 390 or 590. I have a zumo 390 and am thinking of adding the tire pressure monitors.
Thanks.

#2 ·
Ive just got a garmin 590, for my new AT, and have fitted the tyre pressure monitors, they work fine, I had a TPM system on my 1190r, and twice it warned me i had punctures early enough to stop the before i had an accident or ruined the tyre, I think it is a safty MUST HAVE !!

#4 ·
I have them paired to my 390. They work great. The batteries last about a year, but tricky to find replacements in shops (Eventually bought them on Fleabay)
I don't think they make a huge difference weight wise, but I do make sure the bike shop balances the tyres with the monitors fitted.

#5 ·
Bought the pressure sensors one year ago after I had a slowly leaking rear tyre. I noticed a very strange (and dangerous) behaviour of the bike when making a turn; almost lost the bike. They work fine. You can set a low pressure alarm on the Zumo for both sensors. They are very light and there is no need to re-balance the tyres.
Batteries are indeed difficult to get, but found an address. Battery type CR1225.
Not cheap though. Here in NL costs increased last year from € 50 each to € 100 each, a rip off.

#7 ·
Manual Tyre Pressure Indicator

I know they won't tell me anything on the fly but these simple mechanical tyre pressure indicators are great for £3.35 each. (mail order from UK) They allow a quick visual check before going out and again on stops along the way. Simplest ideas are the best. Picture shows my tyre up to correct pressure, all green and when below the pressure.

Attachments

Reactions: gas man
#14 ·
I know they won't tell me anything on the fly but these simple mechanical tyre pressure indicators are great for £3.35 each. (mail order from UK) They allow a quick visual check before going out and again on stops along the way. Simplest ideas are the best. Picture shows my tyre up to correct pressure, all green and when below the pressure.

I agree, I went out to double check the pressure setting on my tires and found the front down to 20 PSI. Your post saved me a headache somewhere down the road.

Sometime the simple fix may be the best.

#8 · (Edited)
Does anyone have experience of the Steelmate TP90 Tire Pressure Monitor System, or any similar?

I had this on my Varadero and kept it and want to install it on my ATAS.

The sensors are placed on the valves. They weight <9gr , so the manufacturer as well as the guys in the tire shops tells me that they do not affect the wheel balance (they say that in general, up to 10grams, they do not even bother to put counterweights).

Nevertheless, my concern is mainly with the valves themshelves. On tubless wheels, we used to replace the elastic valves with metallic ones to make sure that the inertia would not cut-off the valve. Of course the tubes on tubed wheels do have metalic valves, securely fixed with nut against the rim, so there should not be any issue with durability. Nevetheless, any experience would be highly appreciated.

Attachments

#11 ·
M3 tpms

I have used the M3 TPMS for 16k miles this year. This gadget is very reassuring.
You can watch the displayed tire pressures change with visible tire temperature change.
There is an alarm for pressure outside set up psi or temp limits.

Made my own mount alongside a Garmin Montana GPS. It shares the same
unswitched power from an Eastern Beaver power board, with a miniature
12v to 5v step down transformer for he TPMS. So always on, negligible power drain.
Lights up when I first move the motorcycle.
(I usually remember to remove the Garmin overnight, it draws much more power
than the TPMS. But, not loosing my map view during brief ingnition off is convenient.)

Currently about $50 US.

There was some fogging after riding in rain for three hours. Cured by carefully sealing joints with clear silicone and black tape.

I added a small bracing bracket between the screen and my RAM mounted strip to reduce shake and save the factory mount bar.

Attachments

#13 ·
Very cool. I have had aftermarket tpms on my 2004 Ford Ranger and was thinking about getting something similar for my Africa for quite a long time. On my truck they work for almost 2 and half years(perhaps better batteries). So I guess it's required to ballance the wheels after I install tpms on my bike, right?

#16 ·
Yes I would balance them first without the sensor with static balancing method.

With that same method I would then add the sensor & re balance them again this time with a separate stick on. This is so that if you loose the sensor you can remove the added weight block off & ride without wearing your shocks & tyres & high speed. 10g is a lot out at high speed & would definitely have some effect..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.