Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a TKC80 on the front, should I still use the pressure that's printed on the bike frame for tarmac?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I switched tires this weekend for conti TA2, I'm in love with them i left a guy on a R6 standing >:), going uphill on
a twisty with the panniers on, I had never taken those turns that well ever !

Anyway had the same question and the Continental webstite says, all tires should be inflated to bike manufacturer
manual ratings, which I did and honestly my mechanic only said he'd put less in the rear, after riding it for 5 minutes.

So Front 2.0 bar, Rear 2.4 bar all this was with the bike unloaded.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am running 20 psi (1.38 bar) in front and rear. My main riding has been on gravel/dirt roads and I found the higher pressure was less stable and skated around too much. It was deflecting on the bumps. I expect loaded up with gear and on the highway, it will require higher pressure.

I am running the Kenda Big Block Knobbies.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Now I am using Shinko E705 front&rear, using 15PSI front & 10PSI if i go dirtroads/gravel. If onroad 32PSI front & 30PSI rear (single) and 33PSI front & 34PSI rear (pillion). Run smoothly for me

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm running a TKC80 on the front, should I still use the pressure that's printed on the bike frame for tarmac?
I also have a Transalp 650 in which I run in the front a TKC80 and the pressure I use in this one on tarmac is roughly the one Honda suggests, i.e. 30psi everyday and 32psi in loaded trips, and it has been fine. When I go offroad, I drop it to 22-23psi. I am planning to do exactly the same in my Africa 1000 when I change tyres, I am still running in the bike on the original Dunlops.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am using motoz tractionator adventure tyres. Both tyres say a maximum of 33 psi on the side. I emailed Motoz for advice and they responded by saying that I should follow the manufacturer's advice. So I don't know what pressure to put in my A.T. when it is loaded and ridden on tar at 110 klm/h. Help!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sorry to bump this thread. I am going on a trip soon and need to know what psi to put in my tyres.
thanks T_R.
I run Mitas E07 and run 32 front and 34 rear. (Road) Up the rear to 38 with a pillion.

Dirt 28 front 30 Rear (Dirt)

Just my experience and I have had no issues with handling or punctures - touch wood!!!

Cheers
Wadeo

·
Registered
9 Posts
I run Mitas E07 and run 32 front and 34 rear. (Road) Up the rear to 38 with a pillion.
My bike load is 165kg, including accessories, gear and myself. I will be travelling 97% tar roads at 110km/hr. My tyres are new and have to last 7000km. The temperature will be 29-32 degree's celcius. Both my tyres state on the outside, a maximum of 33 psi. Would 38 psi be too high for the rear?

Thanks T_b. :smile2:

·
Registered
726 Posts
My bike load is 165kg, including accessories, gear and myself. I will be travelling 97% tar roads at 110km/hr. My tyres are new and have to last 7000km. The temperature will be 29-32 degree's celcius. Both my tyres state on the outside, a maximum of 33 psi. Would 38 psi be too high for the rear?
Thanks T_b. :smile2:
You said your tires are MotoZ Tractionator Adventure. Interesting that MotoZ does not list max inflation pressures on their web site.
Manufacturers put 'max pressure' on tires for a reason - design of carcas, flexibility, tread life - so no, it would not be a good idea to run 38psi in a tire designed for a max pressure of 33psi.

MotoZ front 90/90-21 has a load/speed rating of 54T = 467lb, 118MPH
MotoZ rear 150/70-18 has a load/speed rating of 70T = 739lb, 118MPH
The above will be at the max pressure listed on the tire sidewall. So add up the weight of your bike full of gas and oil + your 165kg and if the total is under 1200lb with neither tire overloaded you are good to go - at 33psi. Of course it's always better if you are not running near the max load or speed rating of your tires if you expect any life out of them.

good luck on your trip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys I have a DCT with 365 miles on the clock. I am still on the OE Dunlops and find them a bit vague in the wet any advice on pressures please. Thanks, Nick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts