Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1998 Valkyrie, 2017 Africa Twin, 2002 Vulcan, 2007 KLR, 1970 550 Suzuki L
132 Posts
I like the Shinko tires. You
can 't beat the price and there good tires. I ran the 805's first but only got 5,000 miles very good traction and even on wet payment. Just made a long trip on the 705's and they now have 8,000 miles and good for maybe 3,000 more. They are good on hardsurface and have been good for me up to 50 mph on gravel. They are great in the twistys. I will buy 705's again.Revzilla has a good price on them.
Enjoy the Ride
Ruff Rider

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Cheers

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
New Bridgestone A41's are on the way

Reactions: DoubleThumper

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well my tires arrived, and im not happy.

Checked the date codes and FortNine have shipped me a set of tires made in 2018 !!. I paid for a set of 3 yr old tires FFS.

Not Cool

Needless to say , I have filed a complaint with FortNine. They need to send me a current 2021 set of tires or give me a hefty discount on these ones.

·
Super Moderator
6,387 Posts
A discount would sound attractive. Not sure how the supply chain for "fresh" tires is lately.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
I heard back from them just now, basically they said too bad so sad, no guarantees on dates/age of tires. could be anywhere upto 3 yrs old (what a coincidence).

I can send them back at my cost of shipping which is shyte.

I have gone back with a discount request/store credit of $150 so we will see. By my math this set of $400 tires (after tax) has already used $240 of their useful life by age, and if I sell the bike in 2 years then im guaranteed to have to buy another set of tires if I want to sell it with a safety, as tires older than 5 yrs will not pass in Ontario, so there is $400+ 100 install cost =$500 that id incurring or the buyer would incur.

So a $150 credit seems more than a fair ask. Id be ok with $100, but im asking for $150.

I have suggested to the person im dealing with, if she isnt in a position to make that decision then it be escalated to someone that can

We will see, im not giving up on this, we'll see if the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I spend a significant amount of $ at FortNine each year, but they not the only game in town, and ill be sure to let them know that if need be.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
221 Posts
Bought my 2019 in December, at least 3 year old tires if not more . Never exposed to weather or sunlight, don’t see the problem really. I understand your complaint but I would run them and move on.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My 2017 AT I bought new last year with 3 yr old tires on it, No Problem. The age of the tires that are on the bike is one thing, buying a "new" set of tires aftermarket, I dont expect to get some that are 3 yrs old. I will likely trade /sell my AT in the next 2 years, at which time these tires will no longer pass a safety , regardless of how much tread life is left on them. That will cost either me or the new buyer $500 again.

If theyre going to sell 3 yr old tires their web site should explain the possibility of how old the tires may be.

And where does it stop, is a set of 4 yr old tires ok? 4 years and 11 months ? 5 years sure isnt as they're deemed unsafe here in Ontario Canada.

Ill run these, but I want a credit or a discount.

·
Premium Member
1998 Valkyrie, 2017 Africa Twin, 2002 Vulcan, 2007 KLR, 1970 550 Suzuki L
132 Posts
Looks like Philadelphia lawyer contract!!!!

Enjoy the Ride
Ruff Rider

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well, I got it sorted. They gave me a $150 credit.

moving on now.

·
Registered
591 Posts
And where does it stop, is a set of 4 yr old tires ok? 4 years and 11 months ? 5 years sure isn't as they're deemed unsafe here in Ontario Canada.
Everything I find about acceptable tire age for safety checks in Ontario says 10 years is the limit. There are the usual stipulations about weather checking, cracks, tread depth and irregular wear patterns.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Interersting, I got declined on a 6 yr old set last year with lots of tread and no cupping cracking etc. ?? Tech told me 5 years.

·
Super Moderator
6,387 Posts
Yeah, I've never gotten to 10 years with a tire that didn't start crackin' somewhere.

I've seen seven year-use tires with good tread and no cracks, and I've seen two year-use tires with micro-cracks. ¯\ಠಠ_/¯

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well, anyway, its all done with now. Lesson learned, be careful buying tires online.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Interersting, I got declined on a 6 yr old set last year with lots of tread and no cupping cracking etc. ?? Tech told me 5 years.
Maybe he has access to some regulations or policies we don't and is not simply trying to sell new tires. As a young person I would not question authority often. Now I am much more likely to question information given by those who should know. A few years ago a rider in Ottawa was pulled over for some traffic offense. The officer on site examined the helmet and upon discovering the helmet was 7 years old, then charged the rider with using an non approved helmet. The rider paid the fine without challenging the ticket. In Ontario there is no legal specification on the service life of a motorcycle helmet. There are stipulations what standards the helmet has to meet to be used in Ontario. So legally I could still wear the first helmet I ever used from almost fifty years ago. I guess riders here automatically assume an officer would not write a ticket for an invalid reason and simply pay the fine. Similar situation in British Columbia, the rider challenged the ticket in court. From what I am told the judge admonished the officer for laying the charge in the first place and then ripped a strip off the officer for wasting the time of the court, the defendant and the police force. The officer was told to stand and apologize to the defendant and the police force instructed to send a formal letter of apology to the defendant.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The tech I went to, didnt sell tires, I bought them elsewhere.

Anyway, all done for now.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts