Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 DCT base model with original BATTLAX A41s and 6500 mi on the ODO. Because front tire is approaching end of life would the rear necessarily be close behind, or not? - wondering, because being lightly ridden, looks like rear could go a few thousand miles more. Debating ordering a replacement front A41 to see out the apparent remainder of life in rear, or calling it good for this set and starting over with TMs. Yes, I do appreciate that folks here might retire a set of tires after just a few hundred miles but excluding performance or characteristics preferences, at 6500 mi and four years on a machine, would you retire a tire even if tread looked acceptable?
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Product Synthetic rubber

·
Super Moderator
6,995 Posts
Interesting Fuzzcat. My rear A41 wore out well before the front. The rear is at about 14000 kms (8750 miles) with the wear indicators, well, worn off (but no threads showing yet). I would say my front can go another 8700 miles (i.e. a second rear tire).

I found the A41s to be exceptional road tires. Arguably they wore faster than I was hoping, but the comfort, wet and dry performance was excellent.

Nevertheless, my front tire will be retired too since both are being replaced with Dunlop Trailmax Missions.

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT 2021
230 Posts
That is stange, in my experience on every bike I have owned the rear always wear about twice as fast as the front, even without skidding the rear and braking mostly with the front wheel.
I wont change a tire with acceptable remaining thread if I don't see strech marks or obvious signs of damage on the rubber.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the A41s to be exceptional road tires. Arguably they wore faster than I was hoping, but the comfort, wet and dry performance was excellent.

Nevertheless, my front tire will be retired too since both are being replaced with Dunlop Trailmax Missions
Ah, DT, yep - I didn't want to complicate my original post but I already own TMs that have been in climate controlled storage since March. Strange, you might say, just mount them call it good, right? Well, the TMs were purchased in hopes that I might discover what has proved impossible to find, nearby off-roading. And based upon life circumstances, I'm at a place where a quick front swap would be most practical in the short run.

Yeah, DT, from your previous posts sounds like we're in similar situations, wanting more of a 50/50 but based upon where we live relegated to 98% on-road work. So you're still feeling good about TMs for doing virtually all tarmac riding?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That is stange, in my experience on every bike I have owned the rear always wear about twice as fast as the front
Yes, that would have been my guess as to what would have happened, but here I am with an approaching end-of-life front and good looking rear. Strange, what could have been the cause? Riding style? Bike? Road conditions?

·
Super Moderator
6,995 Posts
Ah, DT, yep - I didn't want to complicate my original post but I already own TMs that have been in climate controlled storage since March. Strange, you might say, just mount them call it good, right? Well, the TMs were purchased in hopes that I might discover what has proved impossible to find, nearby off-roading. And based upon life circumstances, I'm at a place where a quick front swap would be most practical in the short run.

Yeah, DT, from your previous posts sounds like we're in similar situations, wanting more of a 50/50 but based upon where we live relegated to 98% on-road work. So you're still feeling good about TMs for doing virtually all tarmac riding?
Yeah, I am going to give the Missions a whirl, possibly even in the snow. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
6,995 Posts
Interesting - what could we doing so differently that you project your front might experience even close to three times the life of mine?
Yeah, I can't think why. However, I do enjoy the spirited ability of the AT.

However, my wear appears normal to historically other bikes I have owned (i.e. 2-to-1 lifespan front-to-rear).

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have A41's
On previous bikes, like Ponzan says its 2 rears per 1 front.
But like Fuzzcat I have about 2k km left on the front and about 5 to 6k left on the rear.
Thinking heavy bike, skinny tire, maybe riding like an old man! Odd because I still enjoy giving it stick.
Ive had a good run from Dunlops in the past and the Trailmax Missions are looking good at the moment.
I want to try and move away from a radial. It might be just me but I seem to get to many punctures.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But like Fuzzcat I have about 2k km left on the front and about 5 to 6k left on the rear.
Thinking heavy bike, skinny tire, maybe riding like an old man!
Ok, so about what I'm seeing...and I am a casual rider, maybe that explains it. And well, now that I'm thinking about it, I could probably fit an A41 front replacement myself and be back in the game quickly, having heard TMs are tough enough to require dealer mounting. Hm.

Sled, what do you guess will be your deciding factor for making the switch up to TMs?

·
Registered
664 Posts
2018 DCT base model with original BATTLAX A41s and 6500 mi on the ODO. Because front tire is approaching end of life would the rear necessarily be close behind, or not? - wondering, because being lightly ridden, looks like rear could go a few thousand miles more. Debating ordering a replacement front A41 to see out the apparent remainder of life in rear, or calling it good for this set and starting over with TMs. Yes, I do appreciate that folks here might retire a set of tires after just a few hundred miles but excluding performance or characteristics preferences, at 6500 mi and four years on a machine, would you retire a tire even if tread looked acceptable?
View attachment 66439
Interesting to hear. I just replaced both of the original Dunlops on my bike. Rear at about 12000 km and the front at 14000 km. Like others here, my previous bike usually had the front tire replaced at approximately every other rear tire. I did notice the tread on the new Bridgestones seem to be much deeper on the rear than the front.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sled, what do you guess will be your deciding factor for making the switch up to TMs?
Just working off a hunch that radials are more susceptible to punctures on motorcycles. My last three rear tires have been radials. Punctured with about 25% to 30% tread remaining causing me to prematurely discard them. The A41 rear with 50% remaining suffered a flat from what looked like a paltry office type staple, so small that I couldn’t find it externally.

To answer the question. Provided the TM’s are not to tall (circumference) when compared to a Dunlop 908rr for example, Ill most likely give them a shot. My bike is geared up a tad and I don’t want to go any higher. (41 sprocket)

That said, I much prefer the feel of a radial but I can’t remember the last time I got a flat with a bias ply tire. Just imho

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have never seen a front tire go before a rear. I have seen them start cupping but not enough to warrant a replacement before the rear. Usual ratio was always 2 rears to 1 front no matter the brand. I just replaced the factory Dunlops today and with 5200 miles on them; the front, other than some minor cupping, still looked almost new and the rear was getting square and was down to the replacement marks. The only way I could think of the front might wear faster is hard front braking in corners, but that just results in a lot more cupping.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Theres a new version available Feb 2022
BRIDGESTONE BATTLAX ADVENTURE TRAIL AT41 (NEW-2022)
yeh nah

·
Registered
664 Posts
Interesting to hear. I just replaced both of the original Dunlops on my bike. Rear at about 12000 km and the front at 14000 km. Like others here, my previous bike usually had the front tire replaced at approximately every other rear tire. I did notice the tread on the new Bridgestones seem to be much deeper on the rear than the front.
I just checked the tread depth on my Bridgestones. About 2000 km on the back and 200 km on the front. Tread depth on the rear tire is 8 mm while the front is 6 mm. I would have thought tread depth on both would be the same. Maybe the manufacturer figures the 21" tire will turn less than the 18" and the two should wear out at about the same time.

·
Super Moderator
6,995 Posts
I just checked the tread depth on my Bridgestones. About 2000 km on the back and 200 km on the front. Tread depth on the rear tire is 8 mm while the front is 6 mm. I would have thought tread depth on both would be the same. Maybe the manufacturer figures the 21" tire will turn less than the 18" and the two should wear out at about the same time.
Mileage statistically - possibly so Bill. They would certainly sell more [front] tires and use less rubber compound on the front tire. I suspect there are safety limits to such practice.

·
Premium Member
2019 Africa Twin (CRF1000 DCT)
458 Posts
I like their choice of adventure bikes. Should the others feel left out? :)
There are actually a lot off new “ADV“ middleweight bikes coming 2022
But riding crazy will not help your fuel or tire economy what so ever brand you choose 🤔
I have 10K km on my Mitas e07 DACAR version on both wheels! and i think there are only 3-5K km left on the front, do to lot off braiking
next time it will be the Mitas e07+ non DACAR version
because this stiff tires are rather hard to mount and the front tyre are rather noisy on tarmac, but on the Swedish 🇸🇪 gravel roads the Mitas e07 tires are just perfect and the rather heavy Africa Twin DCT becomes a completely different bike 👍

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Mitas e07 DACAR
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

1 - 18 of 18 Posts