Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were doing a round the world trip starting in Europe and continuing East and were comfortable carrying an extra set, what 2 sets of tires would you take? Highways in Europe, mud in Africa, rocks on the Silk Trail, endless roads in Australia, what would you mount and what set would you carry? This assumes you could only get new tires shipped to you in large cities. Many of the roads you take are in VERY remote areas. So mileage and toughness are paramount. What do all y'all think?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Impossible to answer really, without some mileage figures. Africa, being South of Europe, often doesn't feature when travellers head East from Europe. Is it box ticking or a proper big tour of Africa.
TKC70 for the roads in Europe...allows you to ride some of the TET. Mitas 07 for further East and Oz ?

·
Registered
365 Posts
If you were doing a round the world trip starting in Europe and continuing East and were comfortable carrying an extra set, what 2 sets of tires would you take? Highways in Europe, mud in Africa, rocks on the Silk Trail, endless roads in Australia, what would you mount and what set would you carry? This assumes you could only get new tires shipped to you in large cities. Many of the roads you take are in VERY remote areas. So mileage and toughness are paramount. What do all y'all think?
TKC80 front and Motoz Adventure rear will take you any place on the planet. in about 10,000 km bites. They handle good enough on the road and give good offroad grip and don't cut that easily. Just keep using the same combo you will need about 3 sets to travel around AU.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have been a life long fan of Michelin truck tyres but have little motorcycle experience. Attending a tyre repair presentation by my local motorcycle club recently, I was amazed to see how thin the Michelin case is at the centre of tread compared with the much thicker Bridgestone's, which unlike the Michelin, had steel cords. My local tyre repair shop tell me they repair more Michelin punctures that other brands. My AT has Bridgestone's, I am happy with them. I don't do much off-road through!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have been very satisfied with Pirelli MT90AT. For sure one set would be these. These really cover alot of ground though advertised as 70/30...
Then I guess a more aggressive pair, Like already mentioned TKC80 for the seconds set. Or maybe even a full blow off road tire for the second set? Hard to say how extreme this trip would really be?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts