Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It took me two hours (16 years riding, first time changing a tire), so I didn't have time to swap out the rear. That's tonight!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I got the Shinko 805/806. My concern with the 806 (rear) was that all the blocks are lined up horizontally, so it looks like there would be some lateral slip if traversing across a hillside, but the guys I ride with have them and they all say that isn't a problem. We'll see -- this weekend I'll be in the dirt with them and will report back!

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Christ on a cracker! Getting the rear tire on was a nightmare it was so difficult. Specifically, getting the valve stem through the rim, even with the pull through tool, took 30 minutes because there's so little room to maneuver the tube around. Also, getting that last bead on, wow, even with 2-foot spoons I really struggled and scratched the rim a bit more than I expected to. Oh well - it's not a show bike! At least I've done it, and I know I'll be able to do it in the field if I need to. Although, AAA is looking really good now!

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
With the tire completely off the rim I inflate the tube just enough that it holds its shape and put it in the tire. Then you can hold the valve stem up against the hole in the rim and lightly thread the nut on.

After that is done, put the lower bead on, and then I use the Baja No Pinch tool for the top bead. Very easy to do, really.

https://youtu.be/EJvQYB--CME

·
Registered
74 Posts
I changed out the stock tires for the 804 805 combo and thought it went well, but I watched a Dunlop video before I started. Made sure the tire beads were soaped up and used a little MotionPro tool that holds the bead on when you start. I used the tools that are now in my onboard tool kit.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The Shinko's do seem to slip a bit sideways due to the design but so far I am very impressed with them. Have had them on the interstate at 90+ miles per hr, and in the dirt at around 65mph, They seem to hold very well in the curves both in the dirt and on road. They are also getting good reviews for length of wear. For a cheaper tire, I don't think you can go wrong. Most of my riding is 60/40 off road and I plan to wear them out just as fast as I can and get another set.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had an epic ride this weekend. Me + 4 guys on F800 bikes all with these Shinkos rode close to 200 miles off road. Hit every type of surface possible; dry pavement, wet pavement (light rain), dirt, packed sand, loose sand, gravel, wet pine needles, 8" deep ruts running the same direction as the road, those same ruts filled with sand making them nearly invisible (PUCKER!), water crossing with stones, muddy water crossings, huge holes, JUMPS, 6" rocks, over small fallen logs, cattle grates, cattle grates going the same way as the road, 10" deep piles of pine cones! Had a lot of "oh ****" moments, but in the end, none of us went down. Well, except one guy when his pannier hit a tree. So, I'm giving these tires an A.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts