Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to put TKC 70's on the AT, had them on a 1190 and liked them.
Question is they only come in tubeless, am I safe to put tubes in them ?
Been advised not to put heavy duty tubes in due to heat build up, but should you put tubes in tubeless tyres ?
Tim

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had the same thoughts... going to fit them on tomorrow... with the original tubes.

I know there is a tubeless kit around... but can't be bothered to do the conversion. Should be fine I guess. I hope the garage where I ordered the tires from do think the same. They have to fit them on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, ive been told that this is now common practice as all tyres seem to be tubeless, just thought I would check.
tim

·
Registered
27 Posts
And done.. just had a quick spin around.. all looks and feels good.

But have to say... the steering is so different compared to the Dunlop tire... looking forward for some gravel

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
I ran them on my 990R, they have loads of grip, especially on cold wet roads and are ok off road but they did make the bike weave at speed, it never turned nasty but didn't exactly inspire confidence and that was with a steering damper fitted!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Had them on my AT for 2000 miles now and all good. Not quite as stable as Karoo 3's or the stock Dunlops but good all round tyre, appear to be wearing really well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm about to receive a credit for the stock Dunlops from the dealer to have him install TKC 70... but I read a couple of bad reviews about them and the AT...

If you have them on your AT, how is the feel? Am I better with K60 or Karoo 3... or maybe TKC70 at the back and 80 front ?

Cheers,

Jo

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went to german web page and saw that the TKC 70 are listed as supported... but there is some negative reviews about the 70 on the front... So I'm hesitating...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Installed TKC70 on 2016 Africa Twin after air-tight operation completed to go for the tubeless rides.

From the first ride there was a strange feeling (that was also reported by other members of this Forum) about the front end from the start: the tire felt like 'flat', but the air pressure was just fine. However this feeling disappeared as long as I rode the bike and I got used to the TKC70. The Conti have very different pattern compared to OEM tires: TKC70 offer more grip, so there is a more obvious contact and more direct feedback from the road surface.

Rode the TKC70 on asphalt pavement and some muddy roads, there were also some fast 140kmh+ road sections. In general, TKC70 performed quite good in all those conditions, did not have any safety issues with these tires.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have had the TKC70's fitted 1800km ago. The front handles differently to the dunlops on pavement. They seem to wanna pull the bike in a straight line when doing some twistys too, but when you get use to them they are great all rounders. I have them almost knee down in the passes now, excellent grip & handling for such a dual purpose tyre..! I do not appear to have any issues with this tyre as stated by some.. I do high speed too over 170km/h.. Ps. make sure always that you have the rim statically balanced accurately & that the AXLE IS SEATED properly(strictly as per the manual)!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Save some money and get some shinko 705's. Half the price here in Australia and just as good as tkc70 imho.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The shinko's do not have the wet grip technology built in.., that is important for a allrounder..

Today I just had another confirmation riding the wet with the TKC70's, fantastic grip !

Money for safety well spent for my kind of riding..

There is no getting away from it, THIS IS A GREAT TYRE for many of my style riders out there!!!!

·
Administrator
1,979 Posts
I ran them on my 990R, they have loads of grip, especially on cold wet roads and are ok off road but they did make the bike weave at speed, it never turned nasty but didn't exactly inspire confidence and that was with a steering damper fitted!

I had if it turn pretty nasty on me on my KTM 1190. There was a guy on ADV that had it turn real nasty.

I realize tires behave differently on different bikes, but I sure didn’t like them on the 1190. The front wore weird and wore fast. I am not sure I will ever try them again. As much as I like the TKC-80, I wasn’t a fan at all of the 70.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
497 Posts
I’ve got 27,200 miles on my AF , I’m on my 2nd set of tkc70. I ride 60% pavement 40% dirt I LOVE these tires. The tkc70 tire sticks like glue on the pavement I’ve got scrapes on my pegs from riding in tight twistys. My first set I got 12,000 miles with no complaints.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts