Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
tkc80 in front is for me best tire for 50/50. No problem with 180 km/h, no problem on gravel neither in sand. Only sticky mud would cause slippery handling. Great mileage, after 17 kkm tire is more than OK.

on the rear I had mitas 09, then went into motoz tractionator ADV. I love mitas (had 4...) but motoz worked even better - incredible mileage (15 kkm and still no prb with light offroad) and bit better on wet.

so I've found my best set: tkc80 front, motoz adv rear.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G970F przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can I ask why no-one seems keen on TKC80 on the rear? Is it just the wear rate?

I was going to fit TKC80's front and back. The tread looks right to me. I'm more interested in off-road performance but still have to get there with long(ish) distances on-road.

The Motoz Adv seems too little tread whilst the HybX seems too much like a knobbly.

Anyone used the Rallz?

Many thanks,

Mike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a TKC 80 on the front and have had a TKC 80 rear (great tire, fast wear), Shinko 805 (inexpensive, puncture prone in my case), and currently the new AX41 Bridgestone (love it so far). There haven't been any issues with any of the combinations. I'm putting a Shinko 804 front on soon mated with the AX41 so we'll see how it goes.
Cheers,
VicAT

·
Registered
243 Posts
I hate the TKC80 (the rear wears insanely fast and flat, the front is viby and noisy). I've gone through about 7-8 sets of Shinkos 804808-805 on a Triumph Scrambler, R9T UGS, Africa Twin 2017 and 2019, and have tried them on a Tiger 800 and they are simply brilliant and I still can't believe how cheap they are. And I've never had a flat with Shinkos I think VicAT you just had bad luck :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a TKC-80 on the front, works well on tarmac and gravel and easy off-road. It has done over 12,000km and is still going. I wouldn't use the rear though, way too expensive with how often I would have to replace it.

On the rear I had a Mitas E07 until it wore out (~10,000km) and now have a Mitas E07+ which I really like.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I hate the TKC80 (the rear wears insanely fast and flat, the front is viby and noisy). I've gone through about 7-8 sets of Shinkos 804808-805 on a Triumph Scrambler, R9T UGS, Africa Twin 2017 and 2019, and have tried them on a Tiger 800 and they are simply brilliant and I still can't believe how cheap they are. And I've never had a flat with Shinkos I think VicAT you just had bad luck :)
Noise of the TKC80, mine seemed pretty quit at first then one day after well broken in, noticed is seemed a little loud.

Don't have a vibration problem. At speed its great, under 20mph it seems like I feel every knob, but that doesn't bother me.

The way the TKC80 cuts across the gravel piled in the center of the lane is awesome though. Makes up for noise and vibes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I find the front TKC80 the best 50-50 tyre for the CRF and have used it to that effect in other bikes as well. I use it with either TKC70 or Pirelli Rally STR rear for mostly tarmac riding and with either TKC80 or Michelin Wild (these on a second rear wheel) for more serious off road riding. The front (TL - T speed limit) lasts for roughly 12K ml / 20K km.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Have read that the Mitas E07+ is near impossible to get off/on with tyre levers. Maybe I'm back to a TKC80 on the rear :)
Absolutely, and not just the Dakar version - this is the reason I have not tried it although I would like. TKC80 and TKC70 are fine to get off/on with levers, the Pirelli Rally STR more difficult. 1.5 year ago that I went to Morocco and ventured in the desert I did put the TKC80 on the rear wheel, it is also much better than E07/E07+/STR on the sand.

XL George - do you mean the Anakee Wild? Looks like an interesting tyre....
Yes, this is the one I meant. Excellent tyre, especially the rear, marginally better than the TKC80 off road but it does not last as long and also has pretty stiff side walls, making it very difficult to get it off/on with levers to change the inner tube.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I think that is exaggerated. I've done installs and take-offs with a couple sets of Mitas E07 Dakar tires with levers. If the tire is warm or has been on the bike and worn it's not much different than a lot of other tires. The E07 has had incredibly longevity on my bike - I'm pushing 17,000 kilometres on the rear and still have about 1/3 of the tire's life left. Still really good in gravel. The front actually wore out quicker at 15,000 kilometres - first time I've worn out a front before the rear.

Have read that the Mitas E07+ is near impossible to get off/on with tyre levers. Maybe I'm back to a TKC80 on the rear :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have run a TKC80 front with a Motoz Tractionator GPS rear without any issues at all. That combo works fine. But for true 50/50 I've gone back to the TKC80 front and rear. For more rugged terrain I like the Tractionator ADV rear/Scorpion Rally front combo that is very popular in Australia.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Not so. Just repaired an E-10 Dakar flat. Beads broken, one side off, tube replaced. The key is a little lube and to keep the bead in the drop when levering back on - and yes it is a stiff tyre but not a problem. An hour-15 total time from starting to pull out tools to packed up and riding away.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts