Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just returned from a 3k trip of pretty hard tarmac riding ( Switzerland, France). After approx 1k kms I felt wobble on the handlebar. Checking the front tyre I found uneven wear. Has anyone experienced it? The tyre was made in 2016.
By the way I also had a flat front 2nd time in 3 weeks. It turned out the interior of the front tyre had a metal bit sticking out. Bad manufacturing I guess. Strange the guy at the first puncture didn’t notice it.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
My Shinko 244 front did that same thing, but around 3000 plus miles. Is it balanced right ?

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Shinko 244 front did that same thing, but around 3000 plus miles. Is it balanced right ?

Yes I stopped in France at a moto garage and checked the balancing it’s perfect. It give a feeling at corners as if you had a puncture. I also read on a forum that apparently first gen tkc70s had this issue. Annoying. But what else should I get that has the same 70/30 split? Loved the scorpion trail ii on my aircooled multi but i need more gravel bias than 90/10.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I run 33 psi in my front tire. The stock Dunlop was doing the same thing by 1500 miles. It was my though that the 29 psi Honda recommends for my 2017 is a compromise between street and dirt. Riding mainly street I decided to boost the pressure to what is recommended for most street bikes. It seems to have helped with the wear. With that said, you are never going to get a nice smooth wear pattern with an aggressive tread.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes I stopped in France at a moto garage and checked the balancing it’s perfect. It give a feeling at corners as if you had a puncture. I also read on a forum that apparently first gen tkc70s had this issue. Annoying. But what else should I get that has the same 70/30 split? Loved the scorpion trail ii on my aircooled multi but i need more gravel bias than 90/10.
I bet that ANY tire with a solid strip of rubber down the middle, like a Heidenau K60 Scout, even though they say its a 50/50 tire, would do much better and not wear improperly like that on pavement.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I run 33 psi in my front tire. The stock Dunlop was doing the same thing by 1500 miles. It was my though that the 29 psi Honda recommends for my 2017 is a compromise between street and dirt. Riding mainly street I decided to boost the pressure to what is recommended for most street bikes. It seems to have helped with the wear. With that said, you are never going to get a nice smooth wear pattern with an aggressive tread.
Shinko 705 80/20 may be a good choice. I like the tread patrern700s are on my DR650 right now. 705s are going on next. K60 with solid middle, Shinko 705. Tire Synthetic rubber Automotive tire Auto part Product Tire Synthetic rubber Automotive tire Auto part Wheel

·
Registered
173 Posts
Huh...looking closely the 705 front tire is very similar to the K60 front tire. Yet one is 50/50 and the other 80/20....weird.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts