Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an AT with 35K km on it. The guy says it was serviced more than necessary (which I believe) but he doesn't know if the valve clearances were checked at the 24K km service.

The bike is now due for a 36K km service. Should I just leave the valves until the 48K km service?

I was thinking that getting a 24K km service might be good for peace of mind, but I know it is an expensive service, so don't want to blow money for no reason.

I suppose what I am wanting to know is at 24K km, are valves almost always still in spec or is there a fair chance they need adjustment?

·
Registered
130 Posts
The risk is if the exhaust valves are tight they will continue to tighten up. At some point there will be little or no clearance and it will burn a valve. That's a MUCH more expensive shop bill than checking and adjusting the clearances. Do ya feel lucky?

·
Registered
78 Posts
The most likely scenario is that the exhausts become too tight, and the bike won't start.
If you're lucky, it will happen in your driveway or garage, otherwise it may strand you.
Time for a valve check.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I think if you hunt around on the forum and many forums riders will debate whether it is worth it or not. All evidence is anecdotal - you may be fine or you may need slight adjustments.
My anecdotal evidence on quite a few Hondas is - I haven't done it on any of them and they've been fine. One that I put 90,000 kilometres on it (VFR), which was a high-performance and high compression motor where it is likely to be more of an issue than our ATs.

It's an expensive service at a dealer and a fairly complex do-it-yourself job, so I've just decided it is a calculated risk to take and that I'm putting my trust in Honda engineers. I also accept that if there is a catastrophic failure it is my responsibility.

I am at 30,000 kilometres on mine and by the end of the summer will be pushing 50,000, so I guess I'll keep you updated. :)

·
Registered
577 Posts
My mechanic has checked valve clearances two times and made adjustments each time.
They will check them again this month. Guess what chances are that they need adjustment, again?

·
Registered
11 Posts
And the cheapest a safest way is to find out at what Honda shop it was serviced by the previous owner and just call there. Tell them the plate number or VIN and they will tell you everything that was done with the bike. At least that is how it works in Europe with Honda dealers, they keep all the records (type of service, date, km...).

·
Registered
111 Posts
You may want to check the following thread:
https://www.africatwinforum.com/for...stretching-out-valve-adjustment-interval.html

The problem with the CRF1000 is that a LOT of work is needed to reach the point where you can remove the valve cover, and all that to find most of the time that valves are within spec. It depends what the cost is, I wouldn't pay say £500 or so to check the valves early but I would leave it for the 48K km service. If it is much cheaper, you may want to do it for peace of mind, which you probably need since you are asking.

If you do that, then you may also want to change the two inner spark plugs before it's time (i.e. at 48K km), because getting to them is equally costly with getting to the valve cover.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Touche.
True. But...
They have, in my experience, been well-engineered bikes far exceeding stated claims.
I think I'll take my chances. :)

Those engineers would be the ones who say the valves should be checked every 24k...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts