Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seem to be quite a few potential owners wondering about whether ordering a DCT would be a good idea. I think it's fair to say that the majority of owners on the NC700/750 forum are in favour of the DCT box and there are endless discussions about how to use it. One member posted this today and I asked him if I could reproduce it on here as I think it's a good summary of how many of us use the DCT on the NC bikes.
I should make one qualification to what he says below. We have discovered today that the adaptive learning mode on the second generation DCT bikes (ie not the Africa Twin or the 2016 NC) applies to D-mode and not S-mode. I think it's fair to assume that the 3rd generation DCT will also have this adaptive learning mode, but it's likely it can't take the D-mode very much into the range covered by even the softest S-mode.
Mike
'As said by others, there are pros and cons and some folk really like the DCT, some don't, some are indifferent.

I like the DCT as a piece of technology, plus some of the great advantages it can offer, ease of use in traffic, heavy town use etc, plus ease of doing long days on the road in the mountains etc.

The key is to learn how you can use the DCT to suit you. For example as well as using the downshift button in D for overtakes etc, also using the upshift button in S mode if you find it being a bit late upshifting for your taste. The pre-2016DCT is adaptive in S mode, it will gradually learn your riding habits if you use the buttons and it will gradually adapt towards that. I found this quite effective when using S mode in mountains (Alps). I'm not sure what the new generation 2016 DCT does exactly with the 3 S modes on offer.

For engine braking, if you use the downshift button it will stay in that lower gear as long as you keep the throttle closed, so you can make full use of engine braking. It won't let you go down too many gears, and will downshift when it slows enough for the next gear. Just open the throttle again and it reverts to whatever mode you were in. You can switch modes on the go, D, S, and manual, as much as you wish, no need to stop etc.

With just a few exceptions the DCT technology has proven to be pretty reliable so far, and at least some of the issues have been electrical rather than with the DCT itself. There have been as many issues with the manual clutches as there have DCT's.

As said, the only way to find out is to try it, and try all the modes and ways you can override it etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have done 6k miles on my DCT 750x now and have used it in D and S mode only a handful of times. I just put it into Manual mode and go up and down the gears like you would with a manual bike only with out the clutch. It works brilliantly for me in town or out. I don't see it as an auto bike I see it as a manual bike without a clutch. The only thing to get used to is using the rear break when slow moving in town but to be honest you get used to it in about 10 mins!! I can think of no reason why you would get a manual version...IMHO:grin2: Put it this way, if DCT came before the clutch would they have invented the clutch to replace DCT?

·
Registered
41 Posts
The only way of truly knowing would be to ride both. I feel like I would prefer the manual, but am going to try to go into it with an open mind and try both when the time comes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I tried both. Rode about 2 days with DCT demo bike of the dealer. Putted 800km's on it. Did some offroad as well (but not hardcore as it was the dealer's bike). I liked the DCT, it worked very well but still missed a normal clutch. So eventually decided to buy a manual AT. Rode about 4000km on the manual and really like it. As wel on and offroad. Don't miss the DCT but I must admit it is nice new technology!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I tried both. Rode about 2 days with DCT demo bike of the dealer. Putted 800km's on it. Did some offroad as well (but not hardcore as it was the dealer's bike). I liked the DCT, it worked very well but still missed a normal clutch. So eventually decided to buy a manual AT. Rode about 4000km on the manual and really like it. As wel on and offroad. Don't miss the DCT but I must admit it is nice new technology!
Lemme get this straight... Your dealer let you take a bike out for TWO DAYS?! And you put 800km on it?! That is unheard of here.

I'm very interested in this thread as I won't be able to take either model for a test ride before purchasing one. The closest dealer that allows test rides is well over an hour away and the one they'll be getting is already spoken for.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I haven't ridden either, I race motocross and love slipping the clutch and changing gear but just thought id order the DCT, was it the right or wrong choice? Who knows, i'm sure I'll be happy with the dct.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ive had my DCT for week and a half now and Ill be honest.
At the start i did wonder if Id done the wrong thing...its just weird!
500 miles later and I really love it! the different modes Drive and sport are real useful. and the bike drives wicked.
Im looking forward to trying her on green lanes but a bike that won't stall has got to help a rookie??
On top of all this don't forget you can buy a gear shift pedal as an extra for the act if you really decide you need to foot change the gears.....thats what swung it for me. But I don't think ill bother now.
Im a happy bunny!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've done 13k miles on a DCT NC750 and 10k miles on a DCT VFR1200. I'm comfortable with manual but I much prefer DCT. I find that it lets you focus on other aspects of riding more closely. The only real area I've encountered where DCT proves to be a learning curve is in moving forward at very low speed but it doesn't take very long to get a feel for how it acts. One thing I've found is that a brief squeeze of the brake at under 10mph lets it know you want the clutch to slip and, after that it will feather the clutch until you speed up again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've ordered a DTC and have been agonising over that decision ever since, the downsides and upsides that I envisage are:

CONS
No throttle blipping, throttle blipping is a great less aggressive way to let drivers know you are there, to get off their bloody mobile phones and back into the center of their lane so you can pass. I use this technique in congested city streets and slow moving highways, makes me feel like Moses parting the Red Sea. This is the best safety feature on my current bike.

Very low speed right hand 90 degree turns, inching between the front of one car and the rear of another. Right foot is down so now with DCT I'll have to perform precise throttle inputs and brake with the same hand as no clutch to feather the power. However @D_H 's post gives me hope on this one.

Keeping engine revs high in flood conditions (posted elsewhere about this)

No wheelies?

PROS
Ability to assign more focus on riding technique in high demand conditions.

Less tiring on iron butt 800km+ per day trips

Less hand cramps and clutch wear in city riding (which I do a lot of)

More cool buttons to play with

·
Registered
67 Posts
Lemme get this straight... Your dealer let you take a bike out for TWO DAYS?! And you put 800km on it?! That is unheard of here.

I'm very interested in this thread as I won't be able to take either model for a test ride before purchasing one. The closest dealer that allows test rides is well over an hour away and the one they'll be getting is already spoken for.
Dealer is quite a good friend and bought several bikes from him. In fact it were 2 seperate days. But indeed I putted 800km on it. I find it quite important that you testride a bike properly before you buy it.

Last remark from my side: the weigth and simplicity also made me chose for the manual transmission. The clutch is very light and gearbox 10 times smoother that all my previous Beemers!

They're both good bikes!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive had my DCT for week and a half now and Ill be honest.
At the start i did wonder if Id done the wrong thing...its just weird!
500 miles later and I really love it! the different modes Drive and sport are real useful. and the bike drives wicked.
Im looking forward to trying her on green lanes but a bike that won't stall has got to help a rookie??
On top of all this don't forget you can buy a gear shift pedal as an extra for the act if you really decide you need to foot change the gears.....thats what swung it for me. But I don't think ill bother now.
Im a happy bunny!
Two good points from Zippy. The unstallability is something people don't think about much but I think it's a bike saver. Most 'offs' I have had on my bikes have been caused by me stalling it when pulling away at a junction and my legs aren't strong enough to catch the bike(Once just managed to catch my Triumph Rocket doing this but at the expense of a very painful hip for a couple of weeks). A tall bike like the AT is even more difficult to catch if you stall it doing this.
And for a long time I was going to get the foot pedal because I use the downshift all the time when riding to give me engine braking. I had the chance to buy one at half price a couple of weeks ago, but decided in the end that I had got so used to the thumb operated paddle and it was much less bodily movement to use, that I would stick with what my brain has now learned (however, if you fit the foot pedal you can still use the paddles if you wish)
Mike

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've put just over 1000 miles on my DCT , 99 % of the time in S3 mode, and I certainly haven't made a mistake getting the DCT,
It was a bank holiday here yesterday and I got caught up in traffic going into Wales, what a change from Clutch in ,Clutch out etc etc etc, makes for a more relaxing ride
Can't see any logical reason for not wanting DCT, a few people who've noticed mine was a DCT ,said they would never buy an automatic bike, but they didn't know why , and had never ridden one,:frown2:
Checked my mpg a couple of times, first time out , taking it easy , about 58mpg, checked again last week , about 52 but I'm going a little quicker now, :grin2:

Get out there and try one you may just like it :surprise:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts