Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(For those not in the UK SORN = Statutory Off Road Notice. You officially garage your bike off the road and pay no annual road tax for the period.
It's illegal to use your bike on a public road when it's declared as SORN.)

I bought annual road tax for my bike only a couple of weeks ago , I usually SORN the bike in November, I don't ride through the winter as I'm a softy.
FFS... a week after I tax it Government coronavirus restrictions come into force banning non-essential travel, I heartily agree with this commonsense safety measure so the chances of bike riding for the foreseeable future are nil. I may as well SORN it again and get a refund on my road tax.
Has anyone else ever taxed their vehicle for only a fortnight?

What's the situation in other countries re travel bans and do you have the option of a similar scheme such as SORN if you have to pay an annual road tax?

Be safe every one and see you all on the other side - hopefully.

Paul.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Hey Squirrelly: There is no such animal in Ontario province, Canada. The vehicle plate just needs to remain valid, usually on a yearly and bi-yearly basis.

As of this wiring, riding is not banned, however, we are slightly behind the effects of COVID-19 compared to the U.K.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey Squirrely,

Here in Colorado, USA our plates work like they do for DoubleThumper in that they are year round. In addition to to the road plate we need to also have an off road tag to go on certain trails and roads which is also year round.

We are under ‘stay at home’ orders which means (in theory) we can leave for ‘essential’ tasks only like going to the supermarket for groceries. Ironically, both marijuana dispensaries and gun shops are considered ‘essential’.

So I can ride to a pot store, smoke a joint and then ride to the gun store, buy a gun and ammo, then ride back home.

But alas, I am not supposed to ride for the sake of riding and for fun just to have a few moments of relief from the chaos.

Everyone please stay safe!

Bookem

Now if you’ll excuse me please, I am out edibles and need to ride to the store and replenish my supply. I need a box of .45 ammunition, too, so I may take the long way around.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think we will be off the road for more than a few weeks, so SORNING the bike is not such a bad idea, especially as we are coming up to the end of the month - will think about doing this myself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same thought but I'm loathed to waste the weather.
I've volunteered as an NHS Responder and it's mostly delivering medical materials from one place to another.
One parts doing my bit, one parts using it as an excuse to be out.
"Medical motorcycle dispatcher" is as good excuse as any when the Bill flash you the daggers.

Otherwise I'd just declare it SORN until this blows over.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As for doing SORN may as well , Or just move to Essex where for the last 3 days everyone with a motorcycle has been blasting around .
Cannot believe how some people find that acceptable behaviour , just giving us that do care and adhere to the given advice an even worse name from the non biking community.

·
Registered
21 Posts
(For those not in the UK SORN = Statutory Off Road Notice. You officially garage your bike off the road and pay no annual road tax for the period.
It's illegal to use your bike on a public road when it's declared as SORN.)

I bought annual road tax for my bike only a couple of weeks ago , I usually SORN the bike in November, I don't ride through the winter as I'm a softy.
FFS... a week after I tax it Government coronavirus restrictions come into force banning non-essential travel, I heartily agree with this commonsense safety measure so the chances of bike riding for the foreseeable future are nil. I may as well SORN it again and get a refund on my road tax.
Has anyone else ever taxed their vehicle for only a fortnight?

What's the situation in other countries re travel bans and do you have the option of a similar scheme such as SORN if you have to pay an annual road tax?

Be safe every one and see you all on the other side - hopefully.

Paul.

Hi from Scotland I have a Goldwing & AT both were taxed start of March now both on SORN no point wasting money till we get back on the road again!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,042 Posts
In the USA we don't have that option. At least not to my knowledge. You can declare your vehicle as "non-operational" and not pay for that year. But the vehicle must not be dragged, towed, driven parked or stored outside of where it is garaged for the complete registration year term. There is no option to pay for only a partial year's use akaik.

Now if you’ll excuse me please, I am out edibles and need to ride to the store and replenish my supply. I need a box of .45 ammunition, too, so I may take the long way around.
Don't forget to also hit the liquor store and strap a case of beer or two to the back :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
This SORN sounds a bit of a SORE. I reckon it ultimately is for good reason and saves some stash. :rolleyes:
SORN could be a good idea from the rider/owner's point of view when winter hits in Canada. Ontario in particular wants to charge for the full year when the yearly registration sticker is renewed. I can't see them giving up the revenue for even a few months when we are snowed in.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
SORN could be a good idea from the rider/owner's point of view when winter hits in Canada. Ontario in particular wants to charge for the full year when the yearly registration sticker is renewed. I can't see them giving up the revenue for even a few months when we are snowed in.
Knowing how government billing sometimes goes, a "Canadian-SORN" would probably roll out in such a way that the incremental fees will be higher, so even if a couple of months are suspended, it may break even with the annual rate. However, for those parts of Canada who only get six months of riding, then a few bucks could maybe be saved.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Im keeping my Africa twin taxed so when the civil unrest starts I can head for the hills lol.... (althoughI could be a rebel and not bother taxing it coz what's plod going to do! they'll be too busy shooting the looters!!)

As for Essex seventy one I live near to the A120 and you are right I hear sports bikes at full chat honing along it, and im certain its not for essential use!! gives us all a bad rap really, selfish bastids….

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Im keeping my Africa twin taxed so when the civil unrest starts I can head for the hills lol.... (although I could be a rebel and not bother taxing it coz what's plod going to do! they'll be too busy shooting the looters!!)

As for Essex seventy one I live near to the A120 and you are right I hear sports bikes at full chat honing along it, and im certain its not for essential use!! gives us all a bad rap really, selfish bastids….
:rolleyes: Well, I suppose in a civil crackdown they won't be hard to find ... but maybe hard to stop.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Uk road tax for large bikes is charged at £91 for 12 months or £50.05 for 6 months so pro-rata it's cheaper to get 12 months tax.

The UK riding season for those of us who dissolve in the rain is typically about 8 months long, so it pays to get 12 months tax in March and then SORN at the end of October. Unusually, there's no penalty for for doing this as the rebate is paid back for each 'unused' full month, again pro-rata. The only stipulation is that the vehicle can't be used or stored/parked on a public road.

Just over a week into lock-down. Is anyone else getting cabin fever yet?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Uk road tax for large bikes is charged at £91 for 12 months or £50.05 for 6 months so pro-rata it's cheaper to get 12 months tax.

The UK riding season for those of us who dissolve in the rain is typically about 8 months long, so it pays to get 12 months tax in March and then SORN at the end of October. Unusually, there's no penalty for for doing this as the rebate is paid back for each 'unused' full month, again pro-rata. The only stipulation is that the vehicle can't be used or stored/parked on a public road.

Just over a week into lock-down. Is anyone else getting cabin fever yet?
At today's currency rates, 12 months of motorcycle registration for road in Ontario, Canada is about £23.75.

No cab-fever yet as currently riding/driving is still permissible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts