Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we become wiser (another way of saying - cough - o - cough - ol cough! ... older) many frequently find themselves always talkin' 'bout the weather. :rolleyes:

Given the Africa Twin Forum attracts members from all over the globe, it would be nice to appreciate what members are doing, or not doing because of: The weather. In this case, "weather" can bring members a wee bit closer together.

So what is the weather and how is it affecting your ability to enjoy the marvelous Africa Twin?

= = =

Today in the Greater Toronto Area in Ontario, Canada it is gusty and drizzle. So I adjusted my Tutor chain oiler to a more optimal position.

Tomorrow it is expected to get up to 18C, dry but very gusty (up to 80 km/h). Nevertheless, nothing the AT can't handle.

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
In the last 6 months there has only been a total of 4(?) weeks that I haven’t ridden my AT on at least one of those days in a week.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not bad for a nor-eastern'ish state.

Much less fortune in, um, many parts of Canada.

In So-ON you could ride, but getting home, for example, may be fraught with freezing participation conditions. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
1,730 Posts
Everything was beautiful, sunny and snow covered this morning. I should have taken a photo. It looked so bright, clean and pristine that it was easy to forget about the global mess for a bit while walking.

It's mostly melted off now. Typical of Colorado spring in the Foothills. 3-4" of snow overnight, gone by mid-day the next. The sun is a powerful snow shovel :)

I think we maybe had a single week where the snow stuck around on the roads long enough where we couldn't ride. But you can pretty much get out for even a short ride year round.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything was beautiful, sunny and snow covered this morning. I should have taken a photo. It looked so bright, clean and pristine that it was easy to forget about the global mess for a bit while walking.

It's mostly melted off now. Typical of Colorado spring in the Foothills. 3-4" of snow overnight, gone by mid-day the next. The sun is a powerful snow shovel :)

I think we maybe had a single week where the snow stuck around on the roads long enough where we couldn't ride. But you can pretty much get out for even a short ride year round.

Nice, ... but a bit of a bummer for early to ride and late to return. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
1,730 Posts
Yeah, this photo was from January 14th. Definitely warm enough to ride, but it does cool down quickly after sunset. We were really looking forward to daylight savings bringing longer days and warmer weather and then things kinda went pear-shaped...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Our winter this year has been horrible and its still hanging around. Freezing rain is hitting my window as I type this and there are still huge amounts of snow hanging around. We got hit by a major storm back in January and then more smaller ones after. I don't ride in winter at all, typically I put the bike away late November/early December and then take it out again in late March/early April. Won't be March this year and depending on how this Covid-19 ******* affects things it may even be much later this year. Fingers crossed that the weather improves and this virus has a short run.

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
Today’s forecast; maybe a trip to the store on the AT a bit later when the roads dry..

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heavy rain and dark this morning in So-ON. Expected to clear, get maybe up to 19C and windy.

·
Super Moderator
1,730 Posts
A mix of clouds and sun early, followed by cloudy skis in the afternoon. High of 53F. Winds SE 5-10Mph.

In other words what would normally be a perfect day to ride :)

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A mix of clouds and sun early, followed by cloudy skis in the afternoon. High of 53F. Winds SE 5-10Mph.

<<<

I wonder what "cloudy skis" looks like in the ski capital? :p

·
Super Moderator
1,730 Posts

<<<

Terrifying! Because we get 300+ days of sunshine (depending on your point of view of what "sunshine" is), we think the sky is falling when we see clouds :)

·
Super Moderator
1,730 Posts

In truth, this is what our "cloudy sky" looks like ATM :)

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Checked in on ol' Pops and took the long ride back along the north shore of Lake Ontario. Really awesome summer-like evening. Just cruised along at around 70 km/h and managed 3.9L/100 kms fuel economy without trying.

= = =

For those on ye olde imperial system: That is less than one British gallon spread over 100 kms. (yes, right there I mixed imperial and metric)

·
Registered
203 Posts
109 F (42.7 C) in dear old Queen Creek, AZ.

Ordered a bunch of wicking gear from these guys: LDcomfort.com

I hear 4:00 am is the new 8:00 am !

Thus the reason I just also ordered a set of Baja Designs Squadron Lights.

I think night riding is in my future for the next four months or so... plus a lot of trips up to 7,000 ft and above!

1 - 20 of 175 Posts