Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

181 - 200 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Well boys,
I needed to return an item I just purchased from a local Lowes store here in Lake Havasu. It is/was a residential water pressure regulator. If any of you have ever messed with them, they're not very big, about 1-2 lbs and, in their box, about 5" wide x 5" long x about 2" high. The wife and I had gone to breakfast and then to Lowes to pick this item up. But, when I got home and went to fit the new regulator into the place where the old one was, the threads didn't match up, CRAP!

So, I decided to ZIP on back to Lowes to return it and ZIP over to Home Depot to pick up the right model. The two stores are about a mile apart. Both of them, are about 4 miles from my home. So, I figured, the A/T's been sitting for a few days so, why not jump on it, since this item is so small and would fit in the top box, and zip on down to the stores mentioned? Well, that was almost a serious mistake. Our outside temps have been hovering in the 114 F for a few days. I figured, well, about 4 miles up, buzz between the two stores, then 4 miles back, and it won't be too bad.

Well boys, 114 is 114, PERIOD! Riding a quarter mile in that kind of heat, is for me, not very much fun AT ALL! So, I survived but, man, that will be the last of that, 'till the temps receed some. I'm not an ATGATT person. I'm not gonna take a 1/2 hour to put on a bomb suit (used to wear that as part of my SDFD duty) just to run a few short errands.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
We had temps on the mid to upper 90's, the last few days. Today a high of 36F and snowing, more of the same for tomorrow with a high of 41F.

Labor Day weekend is often referred to as the "unofficial end of summer." This year Colorado decided to make it official.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
We heard 'bout that (Colorado) here in the far north yesterday. That is some crazy.

·
Super Moderator
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Well boys,
I needed to return an item I just purchased from a local Lowes store here in Lake Havasu. It is/was a residential water pressure regulator. If any of you have ever messed with them, they're not very big, about 1-2 lbs and, in their box, about 5" wide x 5" long x about 2" high. The wife and I had gone to breakfast and then to Lowes to pick this item up. But, when I got home and went to fit the new regulator into the place where the old one was, the threads didn't match up, CRAP!

So, I decided to ZIP on back to Lowes to return it and ZIP over to Home Depot to pick up the right model. The two stores are about a mile apart. Both of them, are about 4 miles from my home. So, I figured, the A/T's been sitting for a few days so, why not jump on it, since this item is so small and would fit in the top box, and zip on down to the stores mentioned? Well, that was almost a serious mistake. Our outside temps have been hovering in the 114 F for a few days. I figured, well, about 4 miles up, buzz between the two stores, then 4 miles back, and it won't be too bad.

Well boys, 114 is 114, PERIOD! Riding a quarter mile in that kind of heat, is for me, not very much fun AT ALL! So, I survived but, man, that will be the last of that, 'till the temps receed some. I'm not an ATGATT person. I'm not gonna take a 1/2 hour to put on a bomb suit (used to wear that as part of my SDFD duty) just to run a few short errands.
Scott

·
Registered
240 Posts
It's been cooling off to about 100F at 2 am in my little slice of heaven...

Have not been too enthused to go ride; did spend the day in the garage, yesterday. 108F in side.

Maybe a garage AC is a thing? 🥶

Have a group ride scheduled for the weekend. LOTs of water, with the 3L CamelBack filled halfway, then frozen. Another quart spray bottle in the saddle back for soaking the wicking gear from time to time...

·
Super Moderator
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
As summer is winding down, the evenings are getting cooler. This image was taken this evening on the north shore of Lake Ontario. The riding temperature was a very nice 18C (64F) and fresh water was abundant.

·
Registered
384 Posts
As summer is winding down, the evenings are getting cooler. This image was taken this evening on the north shore of Lake Ontario. The riding temperature was a very nice 18C (64F) and fresh water was abundant.

View attachment 57426
Now that, is a pleasing, picturesque view of a nice A/T and, an outstanding background.
Scott

·
Registered
109 Posts
Was a balmy 27C / 80F for a high today in sunny, southwest BC but quite smoky unfortunately. Smoke from the WA & OR wildfires is invading...prolly a bit of our own mixed in there but surprisingly hasn't been a horrible wildfire season this year. That is despite some record high temps and long dry spells (long for BC anyway...lol). Really crappy what's happening to all those folks affected in WA, OR & CA.

EDIT: Going with my usual riding partner and a couple others fellas up the Sea to Sky hwy tmrw for a day trip up the Hurley River FSR to Goldbridge. Quite a bit more tarmac than I usually prefer but supposed to be lovely weather...how bad could it be??? I'll post up any worthy pics. Fingers crossed no fuel filter/pump problems. 🤞

·
Registered
251 Posts
Any of you fellas in WV, PA, NY, or VT? Departure date for my trip is quickly approaching and curious about the weather. Stupid new phone erased all my weather pins. Preliminary checks look cool and nice. Lows in the 40s in the higher elevations. I bought a new down quilt set for my hammock...... Currently wishing I went for the heavier one, but I'll pack the smartwool. Looks like perfect riding weather from what I can tell. Local Intel always appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
The Photo are a 360 turn it around with your finger or mouse on the computer my jacket, a cheap one not water proof only emprenigted , it is XXXL and the raingear XXL so i keep the yellow reign jacket under my Grey 3XL to keep dry 😉
Dang @Svendus, that is pretty good. And you look like you just relax and do nothing ...

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Today was a perfect day for riding. I think every biker was out on the roads today.

I took a trip down to Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada. Sorry - No pics of the AT with the Falls. It is a heavy tourist trap with no vehicular stopping. However as usual, it was "raining" near the falls. Temperature reached as high as 27C down by Niagara River. It is always nice to see the power of the water fall as Lake Erie pours into Lake Ontario (essentially).

Here is a snap of the AT with Buffalo, NY (U.S.A.) in the background. I don't think the Buffalo skyline has changed in 40 years. Buffalo - birth place of the "Buffalo Wing" - but people in Buffalo don't call them "Buffalo Wings", but rather just "wings". In the Covid-19 era and borders closed, Buffalo is also home of the MLB Toronto Blue Jays (now currently known as the "Buffalo Blue Jays"). The water way is Lake Erie ...

Here is another snap of the AT along the Niagara River. The view is from the Canadian side looking over at the American side. The water was high ...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hey DT,
Nice pics. The wife and I were at NF about 2-3 years ago. We took the boat ride which got us all wet, as planned. But, that entire area is seriously majestic. We had the Goldwing back then and, we'd rode from a campground about 18 miles away to check out NF. Well, as we were winding up our visit, we'd felt a few drops of rain, while walking around. So, we jumped on the Wing and headed back, in hopes we'd not get too wet. Well, it was a good effort. About 1 minute into the ride, IT WAS POURING!

I guess it happens a lot in that area. Oh well, we survived. But, again, without a doubt, that is one picturesque place.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Hey DT,
Nice pics. The wife and I were at NF about 2-3 years ago. We took the boat ride which got us all wet, as planned. But, that entire area is seriously majestic. We had the Goldwing back then and, we'd rode from a campground about 18 miles away to check out NF. Well, as we were winding up our visit, we'd felt a few drops of rain, while walking around. So, we jumped on the Wing and headed back, in hopes we'd not get too wet. Well, it was a good effort. About 1 minute into the ride, IT WAS POURING!

I guess it happens a lot in that area. Oh well, we survived. But, again, without a doubt, that is one picturesque place.
Scott
lol - thx Scott. The "rain" I was actually referring to was the water thrown up into the air by the horseshoe waterfalls. The Canadian horseshoe falls never stops.

Nevertheless, weather-based rain is normal for the wider region. I guess you got lucky and experienced a refreshing downpour.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The Photo are a 360 turn it around with your finger or mouse on the computer my jacket, a cheap one not water proof only emprenigted , it is XXXL and the raingear XXL so i keep the yellow reign jacket under my Grey 3XL to keep dry 😉
Excellent choice of color on your AT😉😁

181 - 200 of 226 Posts