Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

221 - 232 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yiiiiiiiip,
After 30+ years of smelling smoke, I too have had enough. Fortunately, down here in the south west AZ, while we are getting some effects of the west coast fires, and the smoke IS coloring the sun in both sun rise and sunset, a very pretty red and red-orange, our air isn't all that bad. At least at this point, it's not too bad. I really feel for the folks that live in the states where the general wind direction, potential jet streams and all that, are carrying the smoke to, over and through. As if we don't have enough bone-head issues in this country at present, we have to add SMOKE!
Scott

Reactions: TwinWrangler

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hopefully nobody gets lung cancer closer to the source(s). There is more than just tree particulate. I heard the cloud reached Europe today.
Yeah crazy times man. There must be all kinds of toxic particulate in this stuff...burnt houses, vehicles, etc, etc......

We're directly above WA, OR & CA...it's been really ugly for days and days now.

Other than riding Saturday and the odd chore outside, we've been spending an unusually large amount of time indoors for this time of year. I changed out and upgraded our furnace/AC filters yesterday. Been running the fans constantly to filter the air in the house. Filters were pretty filthy...just changed them in May. Will do it again in a month or sooner depending how long this goes on for.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Man Inediblerider,
I can't tell you how envious I am of your ride! That looks so pleasant. Where is that, if I may ask?
Scott

·
Registered
84 Posts
Man Inediblerider,
I can't tell you how envious I am of your ride! That looks so pleasant. Where is that, if I may ask?
Scott
Thanks Scott, its been a great ride. Although there were a few 100+ KM stretches of gravel that were absolutely terrifying. Aggregate composed of tiny round river stones and silty sand piled so high its almost like they want to kill motorcyclists. Had a few close calls when the front end suddenly found a deep enough pile.

The pics are from Banff and Kananaskis country in Alberta. Through Spray Lakes and Peter Lougheed Provincial parks, the Highwood pass (Canada's highest) and the south eastern foothills of the Rockies.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Inediblerider,
Yes Sir, I know those kinds of roads all too well. There's not a lot one can do about it other than be EXTRA cautious. Even if you take your tire pressure down to an almost dangerous level, to try and compensate and possibly float over even some of the deeper gravel sections, it's still frightful when negotiating much of those type road surfaces. Just be careful and have a great time. Keep those quality photos coming.
Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
I see the weather in Canada is pretty calm. My house is even cool, or I can even say that my house is cold. I remember a year ago my house was unbearably hot. I then decided to turn on the air conditioner to cool the house. But apparently because of such a sharp change in temperature, my air conditioner failed and stopped working. Then I was in a panic urgently began to search for some repair of air conditioners and after a short search I found a good aircon servicing. During the day, everything was done for me and the next day I was lying on the couch at home in the aisle and it started to rain, so the house was cool and without aircon servicing air conditioning.
The same for singapore. it's terrible without aircon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Scott, its been a great ride. Although there were a few 100+ KM stretches of gravel that were absolutely terrifying. Aggregate composed of tiny round river stones and silty sand piled so high its almost like they want to kill motorcyclists. Had a few close calls when the front end suddenly found a deep enough pile.

The pics are from Banff and Kananaskis country in Alberta. Through Spray Lakes and Peter Lougheed Provincial parks, the Highwood pass (Canada's highest) and the south eastern foothills of the Rockies.

How did you get past the gravels or the sand piles you mentioned?

·
Registered
32 Posts

You can now add a few inches of snow on top of all that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
How did you get past the gravels or the sand piles you mentioned?
Well, firstly you have to swear, a lot. Then you have to question every life decision you have ever made. Then you have to accept death, wonder if you updated your will, and possibly pull over to pen a note to your wife.

Less important is to:

Stand up, grip the bars very loosely, maintain a steady speed you are willing to crash at, don't fight the bars and let the bike move around, don't panic, don't brake suddenly and power through.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, firstly you have to swear, a lot. Then you have to question every life decision you have ever made. Then you have to accept death, wonder if you updated your will, and possibly pull over to pen a note to your wife.

Less important is to:

Stand up, grip the bars very loosely, maintain a steady speed you are willing to crash at, don't fight the bars and let the bike move around, don't panic, don't brake suddenly and power through.

I dig your sense of humor lol

221 - 232 of 232 Posts