Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

261 - 280 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here in So. California, we're supposed to get 'rain'. Could someone please explain what this thing is called 'rain'?

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
Here in So. California, we're supposed to get 'rain'. Could someone please explain what this thing is called 'rain'?
Ask your far northern neighbors...
I’m sure someone from up around Seattle would be pretty good at explaining it..😂

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yeah,
I'd like to know what "Rain" is too!
Scott

·
Registered
266 Posts
Rain: That stuff that comes out of the sky to make the dirt stick to your car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My current forecast for Sunday and Sunday night shows 3-9” of snow.

I’ll believe that when I see it. I haven’t seen hardly any rain here since July.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Soft water drops falling from the sky causing mud puddles, slippery horizontal surfaces and making it necessary to wash your bike or car and change of clothes if you get caught out in it. If you really want to experience it, try the Vancouver area of British Columbia. If you want the harder version of it(ice and snow), try western Alberta or the central or eastern areas of Canada during January and February. If you try the second option you will probably want to leave the bike at home.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Soft water drops falling from the sky causing mud puddles, slippery horizontal surfaces and making it necessary to wash your bike or car and change of clothes if you get caught out in it. If you really want to experience it, try the Vancouver area of British Columbia. If you want the harder version of it(ice and snow), try western Alberta or the central or eastern areas of Canada during January and February. If you try the second option you will probably want to leave the bike at home.
Vancouver is looking pretty **** fine today.

·
Super Moderator
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
I actually had to peel open all the vents on the riding jacket today (no lining, just a t-shirt). It reached a sunny 24C today.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Today in the Kingston area looked like potential rain which didn't show up as the forecasters said. We did have comfortable riding temperatures. Unfortunately my two wheeled venture out today was for shopping only. Still, 60 -70 minutes of two wheeled therapy is better than the same amount of time with four wheels or no time at all. I am making the best of a short season which got off to a dismal and late start.

·
Super Moderator
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
The past four days in southern Ontario have been near summer-like with temperatures into the low-to-mid 20's (Celsius) and sun, sun, sun.

Today I think I saw the most number of motorcycle riders out on the roads compared to any other day of 2020. It was just pure bliss seeing all the riders, solo, groups, pairs, and all genres of bikes ... but not another AT in my sight today. It was a fantastic day to be out on the rural roads.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Here in my part of “sunny” Arizona. This morning around 1000 hours, I went for a ride after a dusting of snow at 32*F. I think that translates to 0C for those who speak Canadian. :) It was too cold for photos, well, I was too cold for photos.
It has snowed 3” since sundown, so far.

·
Super Moderator
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Here in my part of “sunny” Arizona. This morning around 1000 hours, I went for a ride after a dusting of snow at 32*F. I think that translates to 0C for those who speak Canadian. :) It was too cold for photos, well, I was too cold for photos.
Spot on @phydough.

I have actually been to Williams, AZ, but during an early June.

We'll get our lumps [of snow] likely in a few weeks in fits and starts before the winter finally gets on with its cold hard grip. Southern Ontario can be a bit weird as it is influenced by Lake Ontario and Lake Erie, but central Ontario has already seen snow accumulation (but has since melted).

·
Registered
96 Posts
I live at 7200 feet above sea level, not to far from the edge of the Colorado Plateau. In normal years, I average more snowfall than Anchorage, Alaska. But, most generally melts before the next storm rolls in. I have seen -26*F on my porch two nights, in the last 20 years.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Despite the Canadian government saying Canada is metric, we still use the imperial measurements for many thing. I am old school and often more comfortable with imperial measures than metric. 20C is 68F which is considered room temperature by those who supposedly know better. 10C is approximately 50F. 5C is approximately 40F. 0C is the same as 32F. -40C equals -40F and is best described as "Too D*mn Cold". The ATAS thermometer seems to be a bit optimistic on the high side. If you turn on the grip heaters and the electric vest a rider might believe it is accurate.:)

·
Super Moderator
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
Despite the Canadian government saying Canada is metric, we still use the imperial measurements for many thing. I am old school and often more comfortable with imperial measures than metric. 20C is 68F which is considered room temperature by those who supposedly know better. 10C is approximately 50F. 5C is approximately 40F. 0C is the same as 32F. -40C equals -40F and is best described as "Too D*mn Cold". The ATAS thermometer seems to be a bit optimistic on the high side. If you turn on the grip heaters and the electric vest a rider might believe it is accurate.:)
Honda could have done a wee better job on the management of the thermometer. Aprilia appeared to had gotten it right on its later models. In fact, Aprilia would notify the rider on its instrument cluster when water begins to freeze by showing a snowflake icon on the LCD display. In any case, I recall its readings as reliable as one would expect from an old school thermometer.

261 - 280 of 314 Posts