Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

281 - 300 of 314 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
. . .

The optimistic snow forecast was a wee bit short of 15”. 27F, no bike in snow photo today.
Dang. You should have still taken a candid shot of the AT. It would have been beautiful in that setting, and uncommon. Forum folks would have howled.

·
Super Moderator
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
Temperatures have been cold on the coast, below 0° C overnight, maybe 8° or 9° during the day, but the riding was good up until today. Managed to get a quick ride through Stanley Park before work last night.
Super beautiful.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Absolutely horrid day yesterday but I managed a little bike ride in for exercise. It was like freezing.. 60F or so. I had to wear long pants!!

View attachment 58553
Todd,
You don't have your location in your profile which, would be revealed if a reader wanted to see maybe where the general area where this picture was taken. It's just nice to know where folks are riding and reporting from. Looks like a nice area. We too, here in Lake Havasu City AZ are riding in the higher '60s. I surely feel for the snow bound folks that can't get out.
Scott

Reactions: Todd157k

·
Super Moderator
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
Absolutely horrid day yesterday but I managed a little bike ride in for exercise. It was like freezing.. 60F or so (for So California.. that's frigid). I had to wear long pants!!
Sounds sublime. ☯

·
Registered
96 Posts
I’m was 10F here this morning, but I got in a little(very little) ride later after it warmed up.

No, Little Miss Narcoleptic isn’t sleeping! IPhoto autorotation.

Just for reference, the rear Motoz Tractionator Adventure has okay to good traction. The front Motoz Rallz is less than impressive when it come to cornering abilities. But, it is day old snow with an icy bottom.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Now THAT'S a bit of rain! o_O It's been a loooooooong time since I've seen THAT much rain. Here in the very southwest corner of Arizona, we don't get very much. But, when we get any, it's usually a whole years worth in one day. It makes a mess out of many, many city streets and intersections where it washes dirt, rocks and debris from peoples yards into the streets. It takes the city MONTHS to clean it all up, if they ever do.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #296
Now THAT'S a bit of rain! o_O It's been a loooooooong time since I've seen THAT much rain. Here in the very southwest corner of Arizona, we don't get very much. But, when we get any, it's usually a whole years worth in one day. It makes a mess out of many, many city streets and intersections where it washes dirt, rocks and debris from peoples yards into the streets. It takes the city MONTHS to clean it all up, if they ever do.
Scott
Interesting, that desert life.

"Too much" rain for our region usually involves events like:
  • Water coming up through the basement drain.
  • The sump pump (if applicable) won't turn off for days.

·
Registered
126 Posts
After living a lot of my life in rainforest in a part of the world that is generally very rainy, I thought I knew rain. I have spent entire weeks continuosly riding in it. I have camped in it night after night until every stitch of gear is damp. My story of motorcycling is also the story of rain.

I thought I knew rain.

Until June 2020.

The wife and I were doing a 12 day trip from Vancouver, up the Cassiar Highway, through the Yukon and back down the Alaska Highway and Rockies to Vancouver. I've done this trip several times before and knew it would be wet. The night we spent at Liard River Hotsprings and the following days ride to Fort Nelson will go down in history as the worst rain that ever befall motorcyclists. At least if you let my wife tell the story. It was awful though.

We had been chased by rain for days, but shortly after getting our tent set up at Liard River, the skies opened. By 11am when we finally had the cajones to get up and pack, 100mm+ of rain had fallen and continued to fall. All of our gear, stored under the tarp, as well as our tent, was covered in mud, splattered up from the force of the rain. Even the **** Buffalo that were in the site were miserable. We had 400km and the Northernmost passes of the Rocky Mountains between us and a hotel in Fort Nelson. By the time we reached our destination, another 80mm of rain had fallen and temperatures had dipped as low as 0° deg Celsius for long stretches in Northern Rocky Mountain Provincial Park and Stone Mountain Provincial Park. In a lifetime of harrowing rides, this one was bad. Despite full heated gear, my spirit had left my body long before Ft Nelson. My wife hated me. I booked a jacuzzi room and bought her ciders. She hated me less.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well Indeliblerider,
I gotta hand to ya, AND the CEO, you both have a lot more desire to ride, then I do. I love riding but, I'm not willing to head out in Rain. If I or we, get caught up in it, well, that's not the end of the world. But, we or I, don't ride if it's in the forecast.

A buddy (the same one as on the Oatman run I posted) went out for a breakfast ride this morning. We both knew it was gonna be a bit on the cool side for the ride so, Levis, hiking boots, long socks, long sleeved shirts, for me, a Carhart style jacket and of course, some leather gloves. Well, the temp when we rolled out of my driveway was around 51 degrees. As the ride progressed, and, we'd dipped down in altitude in various places, it went down to around 47 or so.

We stopped by a new breakfast place to us in Parker AZ, the Crossroads" cafe and had breakfast. Very nice place, good food, good service, reasonable prices, NO FACE MASKS, etc. When we were done, we walked back out to the bikes and, it was a blistering 61 degrees. I rode across the street for some fuel. We headed back home and, all 40 miles or so, it was about 61 degrees. Neither one of us are used to *cold weather riding. If we even thought about doing more rides in this kind of temps, at least I would invest in warmer clothing. But, the limited amount of riding we'd do in these temps, really don't warrant the expense. I'll just put more on if we want to ride.
Scott

In the picture below, the only one I took during the ride, it is from a small boat ramp parking, at the southern tip of Lake Havasu, very close to Parker dam. In the sun, standing there, it's about 65 degrees at that time.

Attachments

Reactions: CRracer712

·
Super Moderator
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
Big squall passed through this afternoon. Couldn't see outside beyond maybe 30 feet. Wind (horizontal to ground) must have been over 100 km/h - easily.

281 - 300 of 314 Posts