Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

481 - 500 of 503 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
I wish. 20 years to go. I am blessed with a fantastic schedule though. And no kids.
Inedible,
May I ask your shift schedule?
Ours was/is, what's called " 4's and 6's" . That is, we'd work 24, off 24, on 24 off 24, on 24, off 24 and one more 24. Then, we'd be off for 4 days straight. Then work the same schedule. Then, at the end of that set of "days on", we'd get 6 days off straight. Hense, 4's and 6's. Different FD units all over the U.S. operate at different schedules, that are applicable to them. Ours was/is what's labeled as a 56 hour work week.
Scott

Reactions: InedibleRider

·
Registered
720 Posts
Well,
The CEO and I jumped on the A/T today to head out to dinner. The temp displayed on the bikes dash said 92 degrees. It wasn't far off. As of this minute, at 9:43 PM here in Lake Havasu City AZ, it's still 79 degrees. Sure makes for nice cruising WITHOUT heavy clothes and jackets. WE didn't go far after dinner, just out to Lowes to check on a new cantilever 11' umbrella for the pool area. But, what a nice time to ride.
Scott

Reactions: InedibleRider

·
Registered
649 Posts
Inedible,
May I ask your shift schedule?
Ours was/is, what's called " 4's and 6's" . That is, we'd work 24, off 24, on 24 off 24, on 24, off 24 and one more 24. Then, we'd be off for 4 days straight. Then work the same schedule. Then, at the end of that set of "days on", we'd get 6 days off straight. Hense, 4's and 6's. Different FD units all over the U.S. operate at different schedules, that are applicable to them. Ours was/is what's labeled as a 56 hour work week.
Scott
Hey Scott,

That is a complicated schedule! I thought I had trouble figuring out what day it is.

We work tours of 4 on/4 off:
10 hour day shift [14 hours off]
10 hour day shift [24 hours off]
14 hour night shift [10 hours off]
14 hour night shift [4 days off]

Between the generous vacation and the shift relief system, I have plenty of time for motorcyling.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hey Scott,

That is a complicated schedule! I thought I had trouble figuring out what day it is.

We work tours of 4 on/4 off:
10 hour day shift [14 hours off]
10 hour day shift [24 hours off]
14 hour night shift [10 hours off]
14 hour night shift [4 days off]

Between the generous vacation and the shift relief system, I have plenty of time for motorcyling.
Yeah,
It can be confusing to non shift (24 HR) type folks. I'm sure you'd figure it out after studying it for 10 minutes. Look at it this way:

Work: Mon Wed Fri Sun. (all 24hr shifts)

Off, Tues, Thurs, Sat, Mon.

Then, your off for: Mon-Thurs

Then, go back to work on Fri., Sun, Tues, Thurs. Then, you're off from Friday to Wed, (6 days straight)

Back to work on Thurs, Sat, Mon, Wed, then off for 4 days. The schedule repeats........ Take a look at this calendar. It explains it way easier than me telling you. By the way, forget the "D" stuff. It has nothing to do with our shift work.
Scott
P.S. BY the way, I was on "B" division. That's the "Blue days" you see on the calender.

san diego fire department shift calendar - Bing images

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yeah,
It can be confusing to non shift (24 HR) type folks. I'm sure you'd figure it out after studying it for 10 minutes. Look at it this way:

Work: Mon Wed Fri Sun. (all 24hr shifts)

Off, Tues, Thurs, Sat, Mon.

Then, your off for: Mon-Thurs

Then, go back to work on Fri., Sun, Tues, Thurs. Then, you're off from Friday to Wed, (6 days straight)

Back to work on Thurs, Sat, Mon, Wed, then off for 4 days. The schedule repeats........ Take a look at this calendar. It explains it way easier than me telling you. By the way, forget the "D" stuff. It has nothing to do with our shift work.
Scott
P.S. BY the way, I was on "B" division. That's the "Blue days" you see on the calender.

san diego fire department shift calendar - Bing images
Interesting pattern. Ours is much simpler, although our department is only 250 members and 7 stations, so probably a bit easier to manage staffing. There is talk of going to 24s, but the pattern would be 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 5 days off repeating.

I'm on A shift, following the red days.

·
Administrator
3,189 Posts
Beautiful Colorado weekend weather. Mid to upper 70's every day. It will be near 80 tomorrow.

Today we road out to Woodland Park area, mid-60's there. Had lunch at lunch at one of the Forest Service picnic tables.

I think the Forest Service needs a fundraiser for new tables

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
720 Posts
I don't see anything wrong. A little wood patch, some sanding, a couple coats of Urethane, hahahahaha. :ROFLMAO::D
Scott

Reactions: Cuchulainn

·
Registered
2018 Africa Twin, DCT
21 Posts
Looking at and enjoying all the wintery snow pix here. We are heading into winter soon. In the meantime I'm enjoying the best months of the year; mild temperatures, dead calm days and fresh nights.

Out on the morning rounds on my trusty farm steed the day after a good wash and service. Glorious morning, around 21°C.

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
319 Posts
JDS,
that is nice weather and view. Here it is cold 2deg rain and heavy 💨 from the North. Looks like gobal cooling instead of heating.

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
221 Posts
Today in Toronto it is apparently 11 degrees Celsius with clouds off and on... it was 6 this morning so that means it is warm enough for morning commutes without the MUFFS...

And it looks extra shiny because my 5 year old daughter and I washed it yesterday. The stock skid plate and light bars do not like road salt.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Sunny. Warm. Alone on a gravel road. Perfect.

Edit: this road got technical fast! Turned into ascent after descent after ascent on loose, rocky, boulder strewn tracks. Fun as Fu*k, but about the upper limits of my skill on a big bike. About 100km left to the nearest highway, but things are a bit more pastoral now.

20210405_160533-01.jpeg

·
Administrator
3,189 Posts
It was a beautiful day to ride in Colorado today. Weather sunny and in the mid 60's. Got in a nice 300+ mile ride today. It was great to be out on two wheels :)

·
Super Moderator
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #498 ·
The weather for the past few days has been ideal in southern Ontario, Canada. Sunshine, warm 21C nearby Lake Ontario. Pollen is coating everything.

As usual, the AT performs consistently strong on the freeway slab. The CRF1000L never fails to instantly overtake and maintain rate. It is such a sure-footed machine. But strong slab running is also its weakness as it takes its deepest drinks. Sure, one can say this pretty well for any vehicle, but of all the bikes in recent memory, I think the AT has the largest appetite at speed. In return, it performs.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Today in Toronto it is apparently 11 degrees Celsius with clouds off and on... it was 6 this morning so that means it is warm enough for morning commutes without the MUFFS...

View attachment 61849

And it looks extra shiny because my 5 year old daughter and I washed it yesterday. The stock skid plate and light bars do not like road salt.
Good Looking AT that !!

Reactions: TheMKoi
481 - 500 of 503 Posts