1,750 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #122

·
Registered
115 Posts
I road out to my buddy's hunting camp near Athens GA Saturday and it was about 90 and humid. Really need to get some good hot, not warm weather gear as my air pants and regular jacket just don't cut it. Its not bad while moving but slow down or stop and the flood gates open.

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
I road out to my buddy's hunting camp near Athens GA Saturday and it was about 90 and humid. Really need to get some good hot, not warm weather gear as my air pants and regular jacket just don't cut it. Its not bad while moving but slow down or stop and the flood gates open.
In So-ON it is imaginable what summer in FL and GA is like. For some reason that gulf stream humid air mass often makes it to the Toronto region. The best relief is sometimes being close to Lake Ontario to shave a few degrees centigrade off.

My first foot infection was in Atlanta. For some reason the humidity down there is a bit more special.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Well,
When I enlisted in the Air Force waaaaaaay back in '75, I flew from Las Angelus CA to Lacland AFB, just outside of San Antonio TX. The weather in LA was mild, temp around 65 and humidity around 30% when we took off. When we landed in San Antonio, it was 02:00 in the morning and it was 97 degrees and the humidity was right at 91%. I'd never in my life experienced that kind of humidity before. It was like I was trying to breath in ultra warm FOG!

Later, in the U.S. Air Force Fire School in Chanute AFB IL, we trained vigorously in 90% humidity. They (the instructors) guarantied us to loose between 5 and 8 lbs a day for the weeks of live fire training. THEY WERE DEAD ON! Anyway, I guess while we do have it a bit warm out here in the south west desert of Arizona during this time of year, our humidity yesterday was 8%. So, the old cliché "but......it's a DRY heat" pretty much lives up to its name. But, that doesn't make it all that much better. 108 degrees is 108 degrees, no matter how you put it.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Well,
When I enlisted in the Air Force waaaaaaay back in '75, I flew from Las Angelus CA to Lacland AFB, just outside of San Antonio TX. The weather in LA was mild, temp around 65 and humidity around 30% when we took off. When we landed in San Antonio, it was 02:00 in the morning and it was 97 degrees and the humidity was right at 91%. I'd never in my life experienced that kind of humidity before. It was like I was trying to breath in ultra warm FOG!

Later, in the U.S. Air Force Fire School in Chanute AFB IL, we trained vigorously in 90% humidity. They (the instructors) guarantied us to loose between 5 and 8 lbs a day for the weeks of live fire training. THEY WERE DEAD ON! Anyway, I guess while we do have it a bit warm out here in the south west desert of Arizona during this time of year, our humidity yesterday was 8%. So, the old cliché "but......it's a DRY heat" pretty much lives up to its name. But, that doesn't make it all that much better. 108 degrees is 108 degrees, no matter how you put it.
Scott
I am Jones'ing for dry heat.

A few evenings ago environment Canada measured 100% humidity in Hamilton, Ontario - yet not a cloud in the sky. Felt like 40C (104F). Still went for a ride, but avoided urban traffic and stoplights.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Cuchulainn

Those are some seriously nice pics. Man, you get to have all the fun! ;) By the way, the CEO and myself are gonna be in the lower part of your state in about a week or so. We're gonna be staying Bayfield CO, about 16 miles or so, east of Durango. There is some nice riding in the area. We visited it last year and I rode my TW around the area and found some neat Forest Service roads etc. But, if things go well, we'll be inching our way up the state to different points. I've never been to Glenwood Springs and or, Glenwood Canyon and have wanted to see it for a long time. Been to Ouray several times and still love it.
Scott

P.S. The A/T looks so nice when it's not decked out with all the boxes and panniers etc. I love the lines. Yeah, I know, the boxes and panniers are valuable for many situations but, the sleek, nice lines of the A/T sure look good without them.
Scott

·
Registered
28 Posts
Everything was beautiful, sunny and snow covered this morning. I should have taken a photo. It looked so bright, clean and pristine that it was easy to forget about the global mess for a bit while walking.

It's mostly melted off now. Typical of Colorado spring in the Foothills. 3-4" of snow overnight, gone by mid-day the next. The sun is a powerful snow shovel :)

I think we maybe had a single week where the snow stuck around on the roads long enough where we couldn't ride. But you can pretty much get out for even a short ride year round.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Riding to Denver next week from Olympia. Looks like 80-90 in Denver by then...

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
Cuchulainn

Those are some seriously nice pics. Man, you get to have all the fun! ;) By the way, the CEO and myself are gonna be in the lower part of your state in about a week or so. We're gonna be staying Bayfield CO, about 16 miles or so, east of Durango. There is some nice riding in the area. We visited it last year and I rode my TW around the area and found some neat Forest Service roads etc. But, if things go well, we'll be inching our way up the state to different points. I've never been to Glenwood Springs and or, Glenwood Canyon and have wanted to see it for a long time. Been to Ouray several times and still love it.
Scott

P.S. The A/T looks so nice when it's not decked out with all the boxes and panniers etc. I love the lines. Yeah, I know, the boxes and panniers are valuable for many situations but, the sleek, nice lines of the A/T sure look good without them.
Scott
Are you bringing your bike? Also how much time do you have to explore? You won't be far from Mesa Verde and that's definitely worth a trip if you haven't been.

If you have been to Ouray I assume you have gone from Durango and down 550 (million dollar highway) . If you have already done that then 145 through Dolores, Rico and into Telluride is also a nice route. You could always come back up through Ouray back to Durango or if you want a longer ride take 149 through Lake City to South Fork and then double back through Pagosa Springs, Chimney Rock and into Durango. A long ride/drive, but I do like going through Lake City and over Slumgullion Pass and stopping at the falls.

We will be out in that area (Montrose) in mid-July for a local rally .

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

121 - 140 of 176 Posts