Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

141 - 160 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Are you bringing your bike? Also how much time do you have to explore? You won't be far from Mesa Verde and that's definitely worth a trip if you haven't been.

If you have been to Ouray I assume you have gone from Durango and down 550 (million dollar highway) . If you have already done that then 145 through Dolores, Rico and into Telluride is also a nice route. You could always come back up through Ouray back to Durango or if you want a longer ride take 149 through Lake City to South Fork and then double back through Pagosa Springs, Chimney Rock and into Durango. A long ride/drive, but I do like going through Lake City and over Slumgullion Pass and stopping at the falls.

We will be out in that area (Montrose) in mid-July for a local rally .

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Yes Sir, will be bringing the bike. I just spent 6 days bolstering (augmenting carrying capabilities) the Versa Hauler motorcycle carrier that I use on the back of the motorhome to haul our TW 200 with us on vacations. Well, that TW is about 278 lbs. so, that Versa Hauler is rated for 500-600 lbs. depending on which model one has. Anyway, I had to do a lot of metal fabrication to accomplish my goal of carrying the weight of the A/T. I even made a form of removable scaffolding that I can use to walk up and walk along with the A/T as I load and unload it.

As for the amount of time we're gonna spend in CO, that's to be determined. With this Pandemic thing, EVERYTHING is topsy-turvy. Unlike the Goldwing we just traded in for the A/T, I really kind-a consider the A/T as a rider-only bike. Not that it can't handle two up because it can. It's just not as comfortable riding with two up as it is with just me. And, we have a little dog that's with us all the time. On the Wing, we carried her too, in a little dog carrier on the trunk.

So, for me to tootle off for an entire day, or potentially multiple days, without her, most likely won't happen. Sure, it will happen on occasion but, how long will I be gone, well, that's also to be determined. We'll see.

We've been to Mesa Verde once before. But, it was a rushed kind-a thing. I'd like to visit it again only, take our time at it. Yep, we've Jeeped in Ouray several times. Been on all or most of the passes, trails, and more. And of course that also means we've been on the "Million Dollar Highway" multiple times. There are tons of RV'rs out there that wouldn't be caught dead on that road 'cause they think they're all gonna die, due to the fact that there's a few sharp turns on it and, NO GUARD RAILS!!!

Well, no one that I know of, uses the guard rails as brail driving. We've had all our motorhomes on it and towed, Jeeps, several times, NO BIG DEAL. We've been to Delores, Telluride and many of the areas you've mentioned. I don't think we've been to Lake City. I think that's on the bucket list.

As stated, much of this trip is kind-a up in the air, due to what's available in camping spots/RV parks etc. because of a few things. One, THE PANDEMIC, two, the availability of camp spots/RV spaces in many of America's campground/RV parks is dwindling due to the massive population that is either retired and traveling full time, folks that gave up their homes and are LIVING in RV parks, younger folks, with families that home school their kids and work from their RV and a whole lot more. All this means is, there's less and less space for TRAVELERS like us.

Soooooo, just how long we stay gone from home, or, where we end up, and how long we stay in a given area, is really dependent on what's available for us. But, I'd love to hook up with riders and at least take some somewhat shorter rides.
Scott

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
I try not to do commercial camp grounds, but with my mother's condition I often have to because I need access to WiFi and cellular. So that said we have stayed at the Durango KOA a few times and that's actually a pretty nice KOA, if your looking for some alternatives. We have also stayed at the Gunnison KOA. Not as nicely featured as the Durango one, but the owner's are super nice.

Of course there is State Park Camping in the area around that Cedaredge, Hotchkiss, Montrose, Gunnison, Sapinero, Taylor Park, Lake City area. Hopefully you can find something that works for you. There is a really nice campground on Lizardhead pass as well with great views.

I can imagine Million Dollar Highway wouldn't be a ton of fun in an RV. There are some turns where even on a motorcycle you can see your own taillight as you go around them :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I thank you for the suggestions on camping potentials. We've done it all, state, Fed, private, KOA's, dry (remote) etc. There's a KOA in Ouray that's somewhat nice that we've used a few times. It's a great base to use for Jeepin' in the area. And yes, we also look for alternatives. Our problem is, we many times, are in areas that are quite popular which means, the camping in and around those areas are popular too. We will see how this trip goes, once we're on it.

As far as the "Million dollar highway", well, as stated, it just is no big deal to me. I've been driving big rigs in all kinds of conditions for ever so, that road is just another road to us. By the way, there used to be a TV show quite a while ago called Dangerous Roads. They had episodes of really ugly and dangerous roads all over the world. One episode was of the Million Dollar Highway. And, they followed two fuel tankers on that episode. It was a father and son team that drove two gas tractor/trailer rigs on that road, in summer and winter. Now, traversing that road, with 65' of tractor trailer IN THE WINTER, would be a pretty serious challenge.
Scott

·
Registered
223 Posts
There's a million dollar road just outside of Neodesha KS😁

I've been on it and I assume that people meant there needs to be about a million bucks spent on it to fill in the potholes!

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
There's a million dollar road just outside of Neodesha KS😁

I've been on it and I assume that people meant there needs to be about a million bucks spent on it to fill in the potholes!
Just a million dollars, eh?

Either way you look at it, it seems absurd. :rolleyes: (e.g. Is that it? Or, really? That much?)

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
Just a million dollars, eh?

Either way you look at it, it seems absurd. :rolleyes: (e.g. Is that it? Or, really? That much?)
For a pothole? Who knows. Colorado's Million Dollar Highway was so named because at a planning meeting in 1921, when discussing the rebuilding of the road between Ouray and Silverton, one of the planners remarked that the contracts to build the highway would add up to $1M, which seemed like an absurd amount of money at the time. The name stuck.

Probably only a matter of time before there is a Million Dollar Pothole :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
It is a BEAUTIFUL drive. Some seriously nice scenery along that route. But, and this is a big BUT, there are a few HAIR PIN TURNS in that route. Some of them almost cause a tractor trailer rig to use up BOTH sides of the road! Many of those rigs are sporting about 65' in length. I don't know how many, if any of you have driven something like that but I have, quite a few times and, you just don't turn those things in tight situations without pre-planning. And, some regular cage drivers (regular idiots in cars) don't have clue as to the needs for clearances those truckers need and will get all pissed off if a trucker even SLIGHTLY inches over the line into their lane.

And, by the way, while there is some outstanding scenery, along with some SERIOUSLY deep canyon/gullies/ravines/ etc. what ever you want to call them, THERE ARE ALSO NO GUARD RAILS!! As Cuch stated, the Million dollar name came from the boys that were planning the thing, waaaaaaaaaaaay back that long ago. And a million dollars WAS a great, GREAT deal of money back then. If I recall, it's peak on that road is over 12,000'. Our present setup, with the A/T and Versa Hauler stuck in the middle of our Amtrak, is right at 58' long, plus or minus. I have driven the Million Dollar Highway, many times, towing. As stated, it's just no big deal. There a many, may RV'ers out there, including friends of mine, that wont' go near that road. They'd rather go hundreds of miles out of their way, to avoid a mere 12 mile section of road that, is/was built for anything that runs the roads, including 65' long tractor trailers.
Scott

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
I can't recall the exact altitude of the peak. Over 11,000' for sure. It isn't as high as Trailridge Road which is the highest paved road in Colorado at 12,183', Cottonwood Pass is 2nd at 12,126' and Colorado State Highway 82 is #3 at 12,095'. You do have to watch for inexperienced drivers crossing the centerline. Some will go far more than just slightly over the line. The road averages 40 accidents a year. Many solo accidents where people just get careless, but some definitely from inexperienced drivers crossing the centerline in turns. We have had experiences on mc's where we are glad we only need half a lane or less because some idiot is occupying the other half :)

It can definitely be not fun in the winter. One joke about the highways name is that it is due to the fact that you can't pay people a million dollars to drive it in the winter. Yet the plow drivers have the most dangerous job of keeping it clear.

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
Utah also has a "Million Dollar" Road. UT 12 between Boulder, UT and Escalante, UT. There is a sign at a pull-off that described is as "A million-dollar road with million-dollar views."

It is pretty nice view.

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
Utah also has a "Million Dollar" Road. UT 12 between Boulder, UT and Escalante, UT. There is a sign at a pull-off that described is as "A million-dollar road with million-dollar views."

It is pretty nice view.

View attachment 55803
Hmmm
Unfortunately I think I’m gonna have to settle for the 10 dollar road with a 10 dollar view...

but that one above looks nice

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
Hey, stop at a Starbucks and you can have a $10 coffee to enjoy that $10 view

To bad Starbucks doesn’t have the uniform dress code of Hooters.. Now THAT would be a view..

You know.... A good rumor to start would be:
“Wednesday night is bikini night at Starbucks, with 1/2 off on house blend.”

Reactions: Cuchulainn

·
Registered
316 Posts
I can't recall the exact altitude of the peak. Over 11,000' for sure. It isn't as high as Trailridge Road which is the highest paved road in Colorado at 12,183', Cottonwood Pass is 2nd at 12,126' and Colorado State Highway 82 is #3 at 12,095'. You do have to watch for inexperienced drivers crossing the centerline. Some will go far more than just slightly over the line. The road averages 40 accidents a year. Many solo accidents where people just get careless, but some definitely from inexperienced drivers crossing the centerline in turns. We have had experiences on mc's where we are glad we only need half a lane or less because some idiot is occupying the other half :)

It can definitely be not fun in the winter. One joke about the highways name is that it is due to the fact that you can't pay people a million dollars to drive it in the winter. Yet the plow drivers have the most dangerous job of keeping it clear.

I thank you for correcting me on that elevation. I was under the impression I saw a sign at the pull off point, at that peak that stated 12-something. Must have been one of the trails we'd been on like Engineer Pass, Pokipsie Gulch etc.

It is pretty nice view.

View attachment 55803
I also think there is a section of Utah's 12 down by Panquich. I think it leads to Bryce National Park. We'd been as far as Bryce but, didn't go beyond it to the east.
Scott

Reactions: Cuchulainn

·
Administrator
1,750 Posts
I thank you for correcting me on that elevation. I was under the impression I saw a sign at the pull off point, at that peak that stated 12-something. Must have been one of the trails we'd been on like Engineer Pass, Pokipsie Gulch etc.

I also think there is a section of Utah's 12 down by Panquich. I think it leads to Bryce National Park. We'd been as far as Bryce but, didn't go beyond it to the east.
Scott
It may be over 12,000'. I may be #4 on the list at 12,000+ I really don't know beyond the top 3 :)

I just know occasional stupid "factoids," which may or may not be true. Such as Lickskillet road that goes to Gold Hill is supposedly the steepest county road in the US :)

UT 12 does go pretty much from Panguich to Torry and it's pretty nice the whole length. But I believe much like 550 which runs from Bernalilio, NM to Montose, it's only the section between Silverton and Ouray that bears the name.

A nice easy going scenic road to ride out that way is John Brown Canyon between Gateway and Moab and if the auto museum is open now in Gateway and you haven't been it's definitely worth the stop :)

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Is it just me, or is the northeast Great Lakes area going though some profuse, armpit soakin', salt stainin' helmet linin', sweat-in-the-eyes, brilliant summer heat?

Even higher levels in the days to come upwards and over 45C (113F) with humidity.

The good news? The AT is not fazed.

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
For the past week regional weather has made it challenging for riders with tropical humidity and pushing daily relative temperatures easily over 40C (104F) and up to 112F.

Today we survived a couple of public announcement tornado alerts. All that pent-up atmospheric energy just unleashed on the region dumping untold amounts of water. I suspect as I write this that Erie, PA might be serving some of its own tornado alerts.

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
For the past week regional weather has made it challenging for riders with tropical humidity and pushing daily relative temperatures easily over 40C (104F) and up to 112F.

Today we survived a couple of public announcement tornado alerts. All that pent-up atmospheric energy just unleashed on the region dumping untold amounts of water. I suspect as I write this that Erie, PA might be serving some of its own tornado alerts.
Hey DT I’m currently sending some rain your way... but it’s got a bit of a curve on it so it might go north of you

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Hey DT I’m currently sending some rain your way... but it’s got a bit of a curve on it so it might go north of you
Yup, I see the system. We'll see if it has legs. Probably not as organized to what recently passed through though.

·
Registered
115 Posts

Actually Mount Evan s is the highest paved road in CO at 14130ft. Back when my CBR was carbureted you had to keep the r's up in the switchbacks or stall.

141 - 160 of 176 Posts