Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have added the cogent springs front and rear on my bike, I seem to have adjustability now, rather than pretty much maxed out. It seems my sag is set pretty fair now, but what im having problem with is the lil things.. I feel like the smaller stuff , rocks, etc is amplified now. So is this a product of needing to reduce the compression dampening?
It's not horrible and seems pretty planted , handles real nice.. Just seems a bit stiff on the small stuff. I may be able to back off the front preload a notch, but its at the point where a full tank of gas has it really close in terms of sag, so not sure I can go much lower there. Seems Im about 37 PSI front and rear on the 705's , maybe go down a bit on the front tire pressure?

Any ideas appreciated..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
In regard to damping settings from the rider's perspective...
Compression = comfort
Rebound = control

You don't want to feel impacts in your wrists so, yeah, dial out some compression but only until the "shock" of impacts is gone.

Tires are also a factor in suspension compliance - pressures, carcass construction, compounds...
Your thinking on the psi matter is correct.

Be aware that changes in tire psi, compression or rebound damping settings can/will have an effect on each other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In regard to damping settings from the rider's perspective...
Compression = comfort
Rebound = control

You don't want to feel impacts in your wrists so, yeah, dial out some compression but only until the "shock" of impacts is gone.

Tires are also a factor in suspension compliance - pressures, carcass construction, compounds...
Your thinking on the psi matter is correct.

Be aware that changes in tire psi, compression or rebound damping settings can/will have an effect on each other.
Thank you for that, In my head that is kind of what I was thinking. Dialing back the compression damping a bit allows it to travel "easier/faster" within the stroke so that could help what Im feeling. This would probably help on gravel washboard a bit as well!
 

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
Joined
·
591 Posts
When my rear shock came back from CD they had dialed in too much of everything. Backing off the rebound helped the most. I could feel every bump up my spine.
I'm not the best at adjusting but its much better now. We need a pro adjuster who works for beers to ride and adjust, anyone, Bueller.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When my rear shock came back from CD they had dialed in too much of everything. Backing off the rebound helped the most. I could feel every bump up my spine.
I'm not the best at adjusting but its much better now. We need a pro adjuster who works for beers to ride and adjust, anyone, Bueller.....
I didn't do the revalve on either end. Im trying to get it good for 80% of what I do, if I need to slow my pace for the other 20% then Im fine with that!. I forgot I had Tods Number from Cogent in my phone so Called him up and he made a good point. the original springs were progressive so that inital hit was one of softness, so getting straight rate springs, then maybe the compression needs to back off a little.
 

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
Joined
·
591 Posts
I did the respiring myself then ran out of rebound adjustment. So off for rebuild and valving, now I have an adjustable shock. Dont think as I did in thinking they dialed the shock in for my bike. I’m sure they dialed it in to hit the right specs, just not for me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did the respiring myself then ran out of rebound adjustment. So off for rebuild and valving, now I have an adjustable shock. Dont think as I did in thinking they dialed the shock in for my bike. I’m sure they dialed it in to hit the right specs, just not for me
They didnt dial my forks or shock for me.. For the forks they just replaced the internals and the heavier springs, the rear they sent the new spring and I set everthing up. I dont seem to have any "bouncing" issues. It would seem that for uphill washboard, I would wan to reduce rebound a bit to get the rear to drop into the dips a bit quicker and maintain traction rather than skimming the top.Hmm , Just got figure that out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think in general what i need to do is reduce rebound for the washboard sections at speed. Then increase the rebound for rougher sections with g-outs, dips, jumps etc.. Since I do not seeing myself doing this at every stop, I think in general I will just try to find the best medium and slow down a bit on the washboard. It seems decent everywhere else.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top