Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2017 DCT
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, decided to practice my social distancing on the bike, out in the stix. Spent a little time on Google earth and spotted a road that looked "interesting" not all that far from the house. (Indian Rte 131, SanTan Az)

Went out on the mini adventure and found the road to be delightful. It did however, turn into miles of deep sand/gravel.

I was enjoying honing my technique in this new to me stuff, and all in all felt it was going pretty well. After what seemed like about 2 miles of the deep stuff, I got pretty tired, and managed to drop the bike.

On a good day, after my wheaties, and with less than a half tank of gas, I can just barely pick the AT up off a smooth garage floor. That did not seem to work with all the sand and a full tank, in my less than prime condition.

Yeah, had to call my wife to bring an SUV with a tow strap to assist with picking it up. Could have been worse... but I will hear about it for a while! ;)

Guess it is time to work out a bit more... that ride was way too much fun to not do again!

Any suggestions (other than get stronger) for righting a bike in the sand? (without external assistance!!!) BTW, there wasn't much in the bags...

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,104 Posts
Sand is simple;
Back... way far back, you have to shift your weight as far back over the rear wheel as possible and power and then speed, well more like momentum a good constant speed. It‘s kinda a weird balancing act of the three. What you are trying to do in deep sand is keep the front wheel as light as possible and the bike somewhat loose underneath you. Avoid harsh turns and fighting the bike to keep it in a perfect straight line. And just like with any off roading, read your lines. This will help you with your fatigue so your not so worn out if you do drop it..

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,104 Posts
And I know you said. ”Without external assistance “ for lifting in the sand; maybe get one of these, so you don’t have to bother you wife :) AND just in case. IF you would have gotten any injuries during that “nap time” then even the best lifting technique wouldn’t help you, assuming you are still able to ride. It’s really just a nice “insurance “ policy.

Personally in your case (in the picture ) I would of just grabbed the very end of the handlebars with both hands, squatted then lift. You’d be surprised just how much that little bit of leverage those bars can give you.
The further out you are on the center of the mass the easier it is to lift. Well technically tilt.

·
Super Moderator
6,741 Posts
Well, decided to practice my social distancing on the bike, out in the stix. Spent a little time on Google earth and spotted a road that looked "interesting" not all that far from the house. (Indian Rte 131, SanTan Az)

Went out on the mini adventure and found the road to be delightful. It did however, turn into miles of deep sand/gravel.

I was enjoying honing my technique in this new to me stuff, and all in all felt it was going pretty well. After what seemed like about 2 miles of the deep stuff, I got pretty tired, and managed to drop the bike.

On a good day, after my wheaties, and with less than a half tank of gas, I can just barely pick the AT up off a smooth garage floor. That did not seem to work with all the sand and a full tank, in my less than prime condition.

Yeah, had to call my wife to bring an SUV with a tow strap to assist with picking it up. Could have been worse... but I will hear about it for a while! ;)

Guess it is time to work out a bit more... that ride was way too much fun to not do again!

Any suggestions (other than get stronger) for righting a bike in the sand? (without external assistance!!!) BTW, there wasn't much in the bags...

View attachment 54093
I am thinking that is one of the prettiest napping snaps I have seen on the AT Forum to date.

Great shot Beowulf, with the sunlight et al.

Tires look nice 'n' aggressive.

·
Registered
2017 DCT
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And I know you said. ”Without external assistance “ for lifting in the sand; maybe get one of these, so you don’t have to bother you wife :) AND just in case. IF you would of got any injuries during that “nap time” then even the best lifting technique wouldn’t help you, assuming you are still able to ride. It’s really just a nice “insurance “ policy.

Personally in your case (in the picture ) I would of just grabbed the very end of the handlebars with both hands, squatted then lift. You’d be surprised just how much that little bit of leverage those bars can give you.
The further out you are on the center of the mass the easier it is to lift. Well technically tilt.

Hey AT Dragon,

Thanks for the links to the several jacks out there. That is exactly what I was thinking about, before giving up and calling for help. (Yep, tried lifting by the bar-end, but just didn't have enough stuff left to get it over...)

Anyone have experience with any of the three lifts AT mentions above? I am leaning towards the MotoWinch by Eastbound, for light weight, but they all look pretty serviceable.

·
Registered
2017 DCT
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am thinking that is one of the prettiest napping snaps I have seen on the AT Forum to date.

Great shot Beowulf, with the sunlight et al.

Tires look nice 'n' aggressive.
Thanks DT! It was a beautiful day/evening. Lot's of quail running around and coyotes singing in the background as it got dark. I was pretty frustrated with the situation, but still was able to notice the great ambiance around me. Not as big of a fan of the mosquitos that came out, though! o_O

·
Registered
2017 DCT
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sand is simple;
Back... way far back, you have to shift your weight as far back over the rear wheel as possible and power and then speed, well more like momentum a good constant speed. It kinda a weird balancing act of the three. What you are trying to do in deep sand is keep the front wheel as light as possible and the bike somewhat loose underneath you. Avoid harsh turns and fighting the bike to keep it in a perfect straight line. And just like with any off roading, read your lines. This will help you with your fatigue so your not so worn out if you do drop it..
Thanks for the tip! I was doing just the opposite, standing and leaning forward. That might explain why I was working so hard to fight it into staying somewhat straight.

Launching from that stuff was interesting. Forgot to turn off the traction control after it defaulted back to "on" on the first launch. Made getting up out of the hole almost impossible, as it cut back the throttle, just as I was getting going...:eek:

·
Registered
98 Posts
My bike used to take "dirt naps" all the time in Joshua Tree NP and in the Mojave, but weighed about 80lbs. less than the AT. I'd look for a rock to brace the rear tire and that helped me upright my X-challenge.

·
Registered
577 Posts
That's some deep sand! I don't think there is anyone on this forum that could have picked up an AT in that, but if I see someone post up a video...
I managed to get into some sand in Utah a few years back and after the third drop, called it quits. Sometimes you gotta think with yer noggins :)

Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Motor vehicle Soil Off-roading

Soil Natural environment Dirt road Vehicle Desert

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hey AT Dragon,

Thanks for the links to the several jacks out there. That is exactly what I was thinking about, before giving up and calling for help. (Yep, tried lifting by the bar-end, but just didn't have enough stuff left to get it over...)

Anyone have experience with any of the three lifts AT mentions above? I am leaning towards the MotoWinch by Eastbound, for light weight, but they all look pretty serviceable.
Definitely won't work in deep sand. The wheels just don't have any traction for the winch to lift the bike.
But I am going to need one of those soon :)

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,104 Posts
Hey AT Dragon,

Thanks for the links to the several jacks out there.

(Yep, tried lifting by the bar-end, but just didn't have enough stuff left to get it over...)
You’re welcome

Another tip , straighten the bars ( I usually grab the front of the front tire to do it) so both wheels are inline with each other (kinda hard to do sometimes too). When it’s turned in all the way like that you loose pretty much all your mechanical advantage. In sand rolling wont be an issue, but any hard surface it will.. DCT set the parking brake AND put a something around the grip to hold the front brake in, one of the mini-bungee cords work great. Manual bike: in gear AND front brake .

·
Registered
2017 DCT
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well, it was kind of a nice nite for it... a few more pics for fun.

Took AT Dragon's advice and looked at the three bike lifters he mentioned, plus a forth "Dirt Napper". Ultimately decided to order the Eastbound Moto Winch, plus a few more farkles while on their site:
Moto Winch

Overall, was quite pleased with the performance of the Heed bars and Barkbusters. Zero damage, as far as I can tell without washing it. Wasn't going all that fast when I lost it... (probably part of the problem.)
Vehicle Motorcycle Road Asphalt Tree
Vehicle Motorcycle Road Fun Landscape
Road Sky Dirt road Asphalt Tree
Sky Natural landscape Winter Road Snow

·
Registered
577 Posts
Glad to see the Kriegas took it well.
My Mosko panniers not so much

Scrap Auto part Tire Automotive tire Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
2017 DCT
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay Beowulf, did you go back and nap the AT again just for the extra cutie shots?

:p
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: Nope, but did think about it! Had plenty of time to take pictures while waiting for dear wife to arrive!

Ordered the Eastbound Moto Winch, in hopes of having a chance of getting it back on two wheels by myself, the next time. Definitely need to follow that road to it's end! The scenery is outstanding. Who knows, maybe I will even learn to ride in the sand...?? Now back to my free weights!!!

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,104 Posts
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: Nope, but did think about it! Had plenty of time to take pictures while waiting for dear wife to arrive!

Ordered the Eastbound Moto Winch, in hopes of having a chance of getting it back on two wheels by myself, the next time. Definitely need to follow that road to it's end! The scenery is outstanding. Who knows, maybe I will even learn to ride in the sand...?? Now back to my free weights!!!
Glad to hear, wouldn’t want the AT to nap for to long she might get use to it..:whistle:

Gotta watch sand, I’ve broken and bent more things playing in sand then I ever did on any tree or hard packed trail, tho I do prefer deep sand waaaayyyyy over wet clay, that’s the stuff nightmares are made of, even ice has nothing on it.

Reactions: No.9

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,104 Posts
Yeah, I was going to comment that I hope the Eastbound Moto Winch is practical in deep sand. Fingers crossed Beowulf.
I’m sure it will work, sink some, but it will work. especially if you get that “hockey puck “ that they sell.

·
Registered
2017 DCT
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’m sure it will work, sink some, but it will work. especially if you get that “hockey puck “ that they sell.
Yep, ordered the puck with it. Will let you folks know when I get a chance to test it!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts