Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting together an on the road and on the bike toolkit. I wanted some suggestions from you experianced riders as to what the contents should be.

Mainly I will be going on no more then 3 day rides, Mostly on freeways and city streets. I would estimate that my riding would be 80% Freeway and city streets, 15% Dirt roads and BLM/Forest Service fire road and 5% off road/cross country.

Right now the only things I can think of are.

#1 a Tire Bead Breaker
#2 A Tire inflator-- if anyone knows of one that runs on its own batteries(AA,C or D) and can double as and air mattress inflator rather then running off the bike's battery please let me know. I just like the option of the inflator not having to use the bike's battery
#3 A set of Metric socket heads and a socket wrench.
#4 A spark plug wrench.
#5 A full set of allen wrenches.
#6 a T wrench.
#7 Extra Tube for Front and Rear Tire

If anyone can recommend anything else i would LOVE to hear it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
-Have a look at your aftermarket accessories, like crash bars or pannier racks, to make sure there are no odd fasteners that are not covered by the standard sockets and Allen wrenches you're packing.
-A multi-tool like a Leatherman would be a good addition because of the file, phillips and flat head screw drivers, cutters and pliers.
-zip ties
-duct or gaffer's tape
-valve core removal tool
-headlamp if you need to work on your bike at night
-tire levers, assuming your bead breaker doesn't include them
-a center stand on the bike helps a lot

·
Registered
153 Posts
What I carry

1. Motion Pro RimShield 2 - Motion Pro RimShield II - RevZilla

2. Motion Pro Bead Pro Aluminum Tire Bead Breaker - Motion Pro BeadPro Aluminum Tire Bead Breaker - RevZilla

3. T6 Ultra-Lite Combo Tire Lever & Wrench 27mm by Motion Pro - T6 Ultra-Lite Combo Tire Lever & Wrench 27mm by Motion Pro

4. 17 MM Allen type wrench - 17 MM Bondhus Allen type wrench LONG arm machinist, eBay or Sears

5. Small bottle of dishwashing soap.

6. Two 1 in wide rachet straps to tie to center stand to keep bike from falling off the center stand.

7. Front and rear tubes.

8. 12 volt plug installed on your motorcycle. Honda's plug is 7.5 amp unit!!!!!!!!!!!

9. A small compressor to blow up the tire somewhat quickly. Do not use less than a 8 minute 700 power unit! (Motopumps.com -Motopump Air Shot compressor 7.5 amp and fills tire in 5 minutes)

10. Always carry a small rachet with 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm sockets. (Could use open end, but a lot easier with small ratchet)

11. Two side screw driver, small pylars, tube patches, tape, open/closed in wrenches, and knife.

All are light weight, and can be carried with you at all times.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Can you tell me more about the side box pictured in one of the photos?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Tool Box - What to pack

I always carry some SOS tape. This is great if you blow a hose and need a quick fix to get you back home or to the nearest garage.

Other products I carry on a ride:

Tube goo (emergency only - used if I can't get the tube out), but will get you out of trouble if you are prepared to throw the tube away later.
Knife
Compass
Lighter
Small plastic tarp that will keep wheel out of dirt when fixing flat.
Torch
Tube puller (e-bay) Attaches to tube thread for easy fitting
Rim savers (plastic e-bay)
Medical kit (This is non-negeotiable).
Battery boost (can also charge phones etc).
Paper maps (when travelling). Don't rely on GPS always working
Spare tubes (make sure they are not damaged). My brand new tube had a hole in it and I found out the hard way!
Tube repair kit with NEW glue (cheap from any bike shop).
Zip ties, spare fuses, some electrical wire, electrical tape, a variety of nuts and bolts. (Rencently lost my exhaust bolt - came loose).
tyre leavers (not too short).
Assortment of spanners (I don't use open ended)! Ring or sockets, screwdriver/s, pliers (long nose - small).
Small micro towel (saves space).
Chain lube
Small pump - attaches to PC 8
Spare clutch and brake levers (very important).
Tyre pressure guage (don't rely on Garmin gadgets)!
MOST IMPORTANT - an emergency device (PLB or Spot track etc).

Hope this helps, I am sure I have missed some items! I carry nearly all these items on every ride and have yet to use most of them, but in an emergency, I wouldn't be without them!

·
Registered
312 Posts
9. A small compressor to blow up the tire somewhat quickly. Do not use less than a 8 minute 700 power unit! (Motopumps.com -Motopump Air Shot compressor 7.5 amp and fills tire in 5 minutes)

Hi all and Old CR, a quick suggestion.
I have now fitted 2 sets of tires to my bike, both times be it in a fully equipped workshop, one thing I noticed is that both times I needed 65psi to pop the bead onto the rear AT rim, so my advise is, make sure that whatever portable inflating device you have can reach at least 70psi.

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I carry a battery pack that will start a flat battery and power a tyre pump also charges your phone and not to big to pack away

1 - 9 of 9 Posts