Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
If there is any dealers or anything that watch this thread and or anyone knows where I can order a tool kit that didn't come with my bike, please send me a link, I am here in the US and would love to order one for my Bike, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for sharing the video. So the dealer is the reason it is missing.?
I got the fuse puller and a goofy fuse puller as well.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ladies and Gentleman's don't be upset over the Honda tool kit , if you got it you would have binned it immediately , as it is ... ehm let's say " not very good " , get proper tools thank me later .
:wink2:

·
Registered
480 Posts
What are you expecting to happen to your bike that would require a full toolkit on-board? Off-road, maybe but given likely 90% road use for this machine I cant see why you would ever need it. My toolkit is a breakdown phone number saved as a contact in my phone! My last Honda was a CB350K4 (a long time ago I know), never opened the toolkit, ultra reliable, did many thousands of miles, dont tell me modern Hondas are less reliable? Apart from an occasional chain tension adjustment what else would you be doing with your bike? Tools are for you garage at home, why lug piles of them around with you on the bike?

(There now follows OUTRAGE and INDIGNATION from world adventure riders planning trips through the Congo and the Australian outback)

·
Registered
119 Posts
If there is any dealers or anything that watch this thread and or anyone knows where I can order a tool kit that didn't come with my bike, please send me a link, I am here in the US and would love to order one for my Bike, thanks in advance.
You certainly wouldn't want the Honda tool kit. It's crap!

This will be a good basic kit to start with....

Basic Metric Tool kit

Motion-Pro-08-0161-Multi-Purpose-Metric Tool Kit

Add:

For rear wheel (27mm - right side)

Motion Pro 08-0541 27mm and 12/13mm T-6 Combination Tire Lever/Wrench Set

Plus add:
For rear wheel (22mm left side) and also front wheel (22mm)

Motion Pro 08-0286 10" T6 Combo Lever 22mm

For front wheel - (17mm Hex)

Motion Pro 08-0355 T6 Superlight Hex Axle Tool 17,19,22,24 mm

.....and you'll be on your way to a decent starter tool kit. Add other bits as you think of them.
Maybe hunt around for better prices.

·
Registered
329 Posts
What are you expecting to happen to your bike that would require a full toolkit on-board? Off-road, maybe but given likely 90% road use for this machine I cant see why you would ever need it. My toolkit is a breakdown phone number saved as a contact in my phone! My last Honda was a CB350K4 (a long time ago I know), never opened the toolkit, ultra reliable, did many thousands of miles, dont tell me modern Hondas are less reliable? Apart from an occasional chain tension adjustment what else would you be doing with your bike? Tools are for you garage at home, why lug piles of them around with you on the bike?

(There now follows OUTRAGE and INDIGNATION from world adventure riders planning trips through the Congo and the Australian outback)
Well I'm off to ride the #TransAmericaTrail tomorrow.

Does that count ;)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Well I'm off to ride the #TransAmericaTrail tomorrow.

Does that count ;)
Oh alright then, take a bottle of that tyre repair aerosol gunk as well, oh no, tubed tyres, take the full toolkit then! Very jealous you are doing that route, looks great, so spoilt for choice in the USA>

·
Registered
124 Posts
I too was surprised by the lack of tools supplied. I combo screwdriver and fuse puller. I have only found two phillips head screws so far on the radiator guard. Guess I have to look some more to find the others?

I have most of the tools I will need anyway from other bikes. I will be ordering the cruz combo wrench

Along with that this little gem.. I have drilled a 7.5mm (.295" or 5/16" works just as well) through the hex adapter on one of and through the 22 or 24 flats that will accept my 1/4" extension.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004N6L6E...UTF8&colid=2QJ4ODBTAXDIZ&coliid=IZBXYDLIF8BUR

Probably one of my most used and favorite tools is this 1/4" drive T-handle. I have a 6" extension for this that I use as leverage on the above combo hex tool.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WJ6ZJE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My tool kit is somewhat extensive and I have been running tests to see if I have all or too many tools. So far I pretty much need all this junk and will have to add a couple more with my new A.T.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I remembered someone talking about their included tool kit so tonight while I was checking pillion clearance with the stock panniers I decided to look at my tool kit. First off I thought the bolts heads were going to strip out before they came loose. They were seriously tight!
I think that may have been on purpose because once I got it open it was empty. NOTHING in it.

When you get a chance take a look in yours and let us know what you find. I can understand how it happens and I would much rather have the bike without the toolkit than have waited any longer.

I got mine May 23, silver DCT, but because of all the rain and a few out of town trips I only have about 250 miles on it. Tomorrow should be fair weather so I plan on putting on some miles. I will post what I have learned and give my humble observations on the AT. Still have not picked a name for her yet but maybe tomorrow.....??

Ride safe
The bikes are shipped to the dealer with nothing in the tool kit the owners manual and the tool kit are strapped to the crate that the bike came in in a separate cardboard box. It looks like the US bikes may not be ordered with the tool kit or the guy that assembles the bike throws them out not understanding there is a small plastic bag inside the box with these items inside it.
Or your dealer thinks they way be collectors items one day so is hiding them some place at the dealership.

·
Registered
329 Posts
US bikes have a screw driver and a fuse puller.

Does the Australian bike come with the 'full' kit?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Tool Kit ha !
The UK models have the very, very basic; I can't be bother to re-open it to remind myself what I saw, as the effort is just not worth while, and the shape of the box defies adding something more useful. I carry a Kriega US5.

M

·
Registered
191 Posts
On the Facebook Africa Twin Accessories group, a member in Chile, Rodrigo Pombo is manufacturing tools that fit in the plastic tool box that give you a 22mm/12mm combination, and a 27mm/12mm/spoke wrench combination.

Tested mine today and they worked, despite being short enough to fit in the plastic box. No photos because I packed mine into that box along with various other tools.

Stuff to store elsewhere: tire levers, rim protectors, patch kit, compressor. The compressor fits under the pillion seat, and I guess the other stuff can go in bag in my top case.

My tire levers for carrying on the bike are these:
https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/stockton-aluminum-off-road-tire-combo-lever-set

They fit the rear axle (but not both sides at the same time the way the tools mentioned above do), but due to fender clearance, don't fit the front axle nut. They are handy for the pinch bolts.

Haven't tested them for tire removal though.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Picked up my AT a couple weeks ago and just this weekend took off the tool box to find it empty as well! While I have a specific tool-roll I take with me and as others have mentioned usually I just put the stock tools in a box, I feel a bit "cheated". In that if I paid for something I should have received it even if I never intend to use it.

So it sounds like it should have come with some basic tools... I'll be talking the dealership where I bought the bike.

·
Registered
329 Posts
So it sounds like it should have come with some basic tools... I'll be talking the dealership where I bought the bike.
If you added your location to your stats we could tell you what was supposed to be in there ;)

21 - 40 of 49 Posts