Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 22 is in my shop getting checked over and I find no tool kit in the tool box. Before calling the dealer I look in the manual and there's a small footnote by the tool kit that just says "Canada".
So do they think Americans don't need tools? Aren't smart enough to use tools? or could they not afford the extra $1.20 that they probably spend on a tool kit?

·
Super Moderator
10,761 Posts
I stand corrected, I was sure @DoubleThumper said he didn't get a tool kit. To be honest I am not sure what is in mine as I never looked but we used to (in years gone by) also get a pair of pliers.
Well, mostly correct. My toolkit fell into the norm of most late model North American Honda motorcycle owners:
  • A Japanese "Philips" screwdriver
  • A yellow plastic fuse puller
  • A super cheesy vinyl pouch
  • ... I think that was it.

In addition beyond the "toolkit":
  • An English Honda User Manual
  • A French Honda User Manual
  • A helmet lock cable
  • Allen key hex wrench for most fasteners on the beast (like removing the useless toolbox)

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Do your tools chingle as you ride?
Pepper spray is illegal, so AT loose tools (in a useless storage) are the next best thing :ROFLMAO: 🐻

They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.

some mixed reviews about the "bear bells efficiency"... mostly by those who survived

·
Registered
895 Posts
I just looked, the compartment of battery cover box was empty, but the loose tools can fit np.

If this is where the tools are supposed to be, It's just silly since you need "tools" (allen,hex) to access your "tools" :rolleyes:
View attachment 77075
View attachment 77074
On my bike there is an Allen key under the seat (in a clip) which you use to undo the bolts to the tool box. The tools don't rattle because they are in a plastic Honda bag.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pepper spray is illegal, so AT loose tools (in a useless storage) are the next best thing :ROFLMAO: 🐻

They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.

some mixed reviews about the "bear bells efficiency"... mostly by those who survived

With my luck, the Bear would think it was a dinner bell for a Meal-on-Wheels.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
On my bike there is an Allen key under the seat (in a clip) which you use to undo the bolts to the tool box. The tools don't rattle because they are in a plastic Honda bag.
That's correct I remember seeing those under the seat.
I tried to fold the tools with the pouch, but it wouldn't fit.... maybe if I step on it ;)?

·
Registered
909 Posts
My new 22 is in my shop getting checked over and I find no tool kit in the tool box. Before calling the dealer I look in the manual and there's a small footnote by the tool kit that just says "Canada".
So do they think Americans don't need tools? Aren't smart enough to use tools? or could they not afford the extra $1.20 that they probably spend on a tool kit?
I have a 2019. Like DT, my tool kit consisted of a Philips screwdriver, fuse puller and plastic tool bag. There was also an Allen wrench secured under the rider's seat which allows you to open the empty toolbox. It has been suggested Honda feels North American riders already have their toolkit. It consists of that 2" x 3" plastic card with numbers and your name commonly found in your wallet.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS Manual
330 Posts
Those tools are worthless. Assemble a real kit and put it in one of your bags. Any supplied kit I got in the last 30 years was woefully insufficient. That little compartment is worthless as well.

Not TOTALLY worthless...............................................................;)

(I can't take credit for the idea, someone else on this site did it first and I thought it was a genius idea for what amounts to a near total waste of space.)
Automotive design Motor vehicle Auto part Gas Personal luxury car

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well, mostly correct. My toolkit fell into the norm of most late model North American Honda motorcycle owners:
  • A Japanese "Philips" screwdriver
  • A yellow plastic fuse puller
  • A super cheesy vinyl pouch
  • ... I think that was it.

In addition beyond the "toolkit":
  • An English Honda User Manual
  • A French Honda User Manual
  • A helmet lock cable
  • Allen key hex wrench for most fasteners on the beast (like removing the useless toolbox)
What? A fuse puller, I didnt get that.. Man, i feel ripped off. I'm gonna call my dealer first thing monday!

Had to laugh at the salesperson when he told me " thats your helmet lock cable".
Oh dear

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have a 2019. Like DT, my tool kit consisted of a Philips screwdriver, fuse puller and plastic tool bag. There was also an Allen wrench secured under the rider's seat which allows you to open the empty toolbox. It has been suggested Honda feels North American riders already have their toolkit. It consists of that 2" x 3" plastic card with numbers and your name commonly found in your wallet.
Mine's a 2019 too. Must have been a good vintage that year because with my bike I got a complete set of Milwaukee tools, a hydraulic bike lift, two torque wrenches, an inspection lamp, a set of coveralls and gloves plus some of that workman's talcum powder that stops chafing down there under the bridge. I think there may have been special offer on or something :unsure:

·
Registered
654 Posts
This has come up a lot over the years. But if you look at the fasteners you'd be likely to need to work on away from your shop, NONE of them are the sizes that are included in this collection, except maybe that special allen/plug wrench. And just the allen side of that.
I added a tool box and put wheel wrenches and flat-repair supplies in it. Not doing anything else by the side of the road.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I was looking at a video the other day from that expert rider who can swop caps without you seeing his head. The one who does a 'Pony Express' dismount.
He said that when he works on his bike he always uses his travel toolkit then anything he has to go to his main toolbox for he buys one for his travel toolkit. He had tyre levers and allsorts. Scared the shix out of me. 💩

·
Registered
2023 Africa Twin 1100 manual (on backorder)
147 Posts
This has come up a lot over the years. But if you look at the fasteners you'd be likely to need to work on away from your shop, NONE of them are the sizes that are included in this collection, except maybe that special allen/plug wrench. And just the allen side of that.
I added a tool box and put wheel wrenches and flat-repair supplies in it. Not doing anything else by the side of the road.
Yup, none of the tools in that OEM toolkit are of any use except for the screwdriver and hex key.

I have a set of Wera tools specifically for the bike, including a 3/4" drive ratchet, two hex sockets and a sliding bar with 1/2" drive for the sockets for front + rear axle.

If this set and some tire irons/zipties/tape can't fix my problem I'm in bigger troubles anyways.
Font Cross Gas Auto part Metal

• Helpful
Reactions: Little Bill Daggett
1 - 20 of 30 Posts