Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've installed an Altrider luggage rack/plate on my '18 ATAS and it's great. However, the givi adapter kit that is designed to allow me to fit my 58L Givi topbox cannot be mounted in the pre milled holes on the luggage rack/plate because the nuts on the bottom would directly interfere with the stock luggage "rails". My best though is to raise the entire Altrider plate to accommodate the height of the nuts, or I could drill new holes in the Altrider plate and move the top box either forward or backwards. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

In the attached photos, you can barely see the pre-milled holes for the givi adapter poking out from behind (the underside) of the stock luggage rails.

Thanks, J

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
How much extra height? Would a washer or two work? Or use shallower nuts with shortened givi mounting bolts? Or combination of both?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes this is along the lines of what i’ve Decided to do. I’m going to raise it up with an additional plate underneath so top box still clamps on firmly. Pictures to follow.
Thanks padgman

How much extra height? Would a washer or two work? Or use shallower nuts with shortened givi mounting bolts? Or combination of both?[/QUOTE

·
Registered
20 Posts
Be curious to see your solution...

I got a 2018 ATAS and want to start off with a top box on rear. Not too small or too big but something watertight and secure. Don't want to get locked into a particular brand in case I decide to later add side bags of a different brand.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Altrider/Givi solution

I made a template, cut it out of 1/4” sheet rubber, and set it between the altrider plate and the oem steel tube rack. I replaced the 4 short bolts with longer bolts (1&1/2” or so, I can’t remember-M8 threads) It cranked on tight and barely raised the plate. Very happy with this cheap, easy, and long lasting solution. Pictures attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
SW Motech?

Be curious to see your solution...
I got a 2018 ATAS and want to start off with a top box on rear.
I'm in the same position, and I'm thinking that the SW Motech Adventure Rack is appealing - can be used with top boxes from a range of manufacturers, including Givi. Looks really versatile.

I'm not normally a fan of video reviews, but this is a succinct and useful 2:30 summary:

SW Motech page here:
https://sw-motech.com/en/products/luggage/luggage+racks/ADVENTURE-RACK/

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have the SW-Motech. It is a toy to install it (no more than 10 minutes). I have also purchased the Givi kit and I use it with my Maxia 4. It is extremely rigid and also looks superb on the bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm in the same position, and I'm thinking that the SW Motech Adventure Rack is appealing - can be used with top boxes from a range of manufacturers, including Givi. Looks really versatile.

I'm not normally a fan of video reviews, but this is a succinct and useful 2:30 summary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfOOIx9KoaE

SW Motech page here:
https://sw-motech.com/en/products/luggage/luggage+racks/ADVENTURE-RACK/
Sorry i am new to this... But I need this rack then another adapter plate depending on the (brand) top box I get?

I wanted something about 35L (not to small/big).

I like the Givi Trekker Dolomiti but unsure of black or silver on the USA-spec (red/white/blue) ATAS.... anyone have it and photos?

Thx!

·
Registered
236 Posts
You know, I am curious as to why anyone would really want to carry a top box. All of my bikes have been purchased used, and each one has had a top-box mounted with a quick release. I take them off and don't put them back until I am ready to sell. It puts weight bloody high, and not only aft of the rear axel/contact patch, the bulk of it is aft of the whole bloody bike. A terrible place to carry weight. So, with fire-retardant suit on, I ask, what is gained?

·
Registered
20 Posts
You know, I am curious as to why anyone would really want to carry a top box. All of my bikes have been purchased used, and each one has had a top-box mounted with a quick release. I take them off and don't put them back until I am ready to sell. It puts weight bloody high, and not only aft of the rear axel/contact patch, the bulk of it is aft of the whole bloody bike. A terrible place to carry weight. So, with fire-retardant suit on, I ask, what is gained?
I do not intend to carry anything heavy but commuting to work it would be useful to carry my laptop bag (and keep dry), some tools, maybe water/food for a weekend ride, etc. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never had a problem with weight distribution with a top box, but again I’ve never filled it with bricks. What is gained is storage space (48L in my case**, enough for two helmets. Two pairs of gloves and a jacket.) without changing your bike’s width. That is most important to me as an NYC commuter. Maybe you can go start an anti-top box thread....

** ha, get it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts