Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I bought my AT with the oem Honda top box, but the carrying capacity was low, so I decided to upgrade to the Givi trekker 52l:

This requires, obviously a Givi monokey plate... but checking their kit, it involves striping the rear end of the bike.
No doubt about it being the most "safe" solution.. But the 16/17 doens´t involve this kind of work and It stiil works good.

Then I found about the SW motech:

It simply bolts on the stock rack and then with an adapter, allows givi top case.

My question is, what would you do?
Not going off road with the top case.

Do you reckon the oem rack is sturdy enough for this top case without the reinforcement?

Thank you

·
Registered
190 Posts
I went SW Motech. If I ever change top case kits then I can just switch adapters.

It was easy to install, rock solid, and looks great. I too had this debate just like you.

Seriously, the plate is built like a freaking tank. Very, very nice. I run a givi v47 top case. No problems whatsoever and it has strap loops for attaching rok straps for securing pillion items. It's a no brainier my friend.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I kept my givi trekker outback cases from my previous bike. Installing the monokey rack on my 2018 AT was work but results in a very solid unit. If I was starting from scratch, I’d likely go OEM Honda top case and top quality soft Side cases.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I found that AltRider has a rear rack and optional set screws that work with the Givi Trekker case without having to buy the GIVI adapter rack. I did have to add an extra layer of foam tape near the latch area to create a snug fit.

Check AltRider web page for the adapters.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys for the opinions!

Ended up buying the SW motech rack! They will ship it only next year tough :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi No9,
Since installing the Altrider rack have you noticed any bouncing movement of the rack particularly if you have some weight in the box?

Thank you for your time and regards

Partymarty

·
Registered
99 Posts
sorry for delay

My apologies for the delay, I was in the throws of a move and unpacking was priority. I did notice some bouncing initially with the AltRider set up. I used some 3m mounting pads near the latch and the issue has been reduced quite a bit. I am unsure if it stems from the AltRider latch point having too large of an opening or the latch inside the case having play.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the Sw adventure rack users, What position do you use?
I noticed today while installing that the are 2 positions to adjust the rack...

Position 1, closer

Position 2, more space for the pillion

I mean, it´s not like there is a massive difference between them, but the top box is still missing the back rest..
My concern is that position 2, causes a bit more angle force in the oem rack.

·
Registered
367 Posts
For the Sw adventure rack users, What position do you use?
I noticed today while installing that the are 2 positions to adjust the rack...

Position 1, closer

Position 2, more space for the pillion

I mean, it´s not like there is a massive difference between them, but the top box is still missing the back rest..
My concern is that position 2, causes a bit more angle force in the oem rack.
Heh, I installed my Givi top box plate today during a snow storm (the chain is getting kinda orange). I think I am more like "Position 2". But as you commented, don't think the difference is an issue. One is not supposed to overload the box anyway. :wink2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts