Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else go from utilizing a top case to dry bags? I am thinking about going that route with my new AT. One reason is that the rear rack is supposedly not that strong on this bike and since a top case is always WAY toward the back, I don't think I want to try that. I have Givi side cases on the way and I suppose I could add the Honda top case since it is approved by Honda so to speak and not too expensive, but I hate to think it will get lost.

On long trips I always take the items out of my top case as well as the dry bags I mount in front of it. I am thinking about just getting a series of dry bags that I can loop or stack on one another as one bundle and then strap them to the bike as a unit. Then when I get to a hotel I have just one bundle to remove.

Maybe someone else has done this or has always preferred dry bags and can comment?

NC

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have used Dirt Bagz saddlebags for my dual-sporting for many years and was always happy with them but they did not make the brackets for the Queen when I purchased it so I went with the Giant Loop Great Divide roll top saddlebag and I love it more than the Dirt Bagz. It holds plenty of stuff, super sturdy, not as wide as regular saddle bags or panniers and easy on and off the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
I can't find the Great Divide anywhere. Everyone has the Coyote and Great Basin, but no one has the Great Divide. I like how the side bags on that one don't come down too low.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I can't find the Great Divide anywhere. Everyone has the Coyote and Great Basin, but no one has the Great Divide. I like how the side bags on that one don't come down too low.
Sorry. I got the name wrong. I have the Great Basin. Get the roll-top. It costs more than the zipper model but much easier to use.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I normally ride around with a leather zipper top tail bag.
On my first multi-day off-road trip, I went with the lockable hard tail box for the first time along with panniers.
I couldn't believe how handy the top box was on the trip and how much I could put in it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I like the top case (shad 50 liters) the simplicity of access water tight ,but that's me some hate the look your choice soft bags or top case they both work

·
Registered
53 Posts
Fuelpincher,

I just saw this arrangement (Great Divide roll top) installed on the demo AT at the dearler yesterday. I am also considering both soft and hard bag solutions, but leaning towards soft. It appeared the rack system installed on the bike I saw used a pretty basic rack, then had a removable bracket that attached to a stiffener "board" on the back side of the bags to give it some "structure". This aluminum frame then attached somehow to the steel frames installed on the bike. Unfortunately I couldn't really see it well or take it off, as the demo bike was in continual use yesterday, so I only got a quick look. \
Did you purchase the entire system from Great Divide, or have to piece all of this together. I can't really seem to determine that from their website. I do agree these bags look tough as nails and pretty well waterproof. Sales guy said he's seen them after a 30 MPH drop, and other than scuffing they were fine.
Also, not sure where you are located, but can you give me an ideal of what this all cost for the two sidebags, racks and mounting stuff etc. They "estimated" for me that it was in the $1900 Canadian (approx. $1550 US) which seemed to me to be pretty steep.

Finally, when at hwy speed do you notice any instability, buffeting etc with the irregular shap of these vs a hard bag solution.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi, I have the latest givi maxia from my previous bike. It is ok but it definitely makes the bike a bit unsettled over 65 mph especially on a windy day. In fact all the too boxes I had in all my previous bikes, did just that. There is no way around it and it doesn't matter with what make you will go.. After admitting defeat, I went the old school way: waterproof roll bag + Rok straps. To date, the best solution plus u get to rest ur back..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Fuelpincher,

I just saw this arrangement (Great Divide roll top) installed on the demo AT at the dearler yesterday. I am also considering both soft and hard bag solutions, but leaning towards soft. It appeared the rack system installed on the bike I saw used a pretty basic rack, then had a removable bracket that attached to a stiffener "board" on the back side of the bags to give it some "structure". This aluminum frame then attached somehow to the steel frames installed on the bike. Unfortunately I couldn't really see it well or take it off, as the demo bike was in continual use yesterday, so I only got a quick look. \
Did you purchase the entire system from Great Divide, or have to piece all of this together. I can't really seem to determine that from their website. I do agree these bags look tough as nails and pretty well waterproof. Sales guy said he's seen them after a 30 MPH drop, and other than scuffing they were fine.
Also, not sure where you are located, but can you give me an ideal of what this all cost for the two sidebags, racks and mounting stuff etc. They "estimated" for me that it was in the $1900 Canadian (approx. $1550 US) which seemed to me to be pretty steep.

Finally, when at hwy speed do you notice any instability, buffeting etc with the irregular shap of these vs a hard bag solution.
I did not buy their system, only the great divide bag. I added tie down rings on the top rear step mounts (i removed the rear steps, as I never carry passengers). I secure the bag with the two front straps and three rear ones to the standard rack. With 6500 on the bag, through many rough conditions, the bag has yet to come loose. As I do extensive off highway riding that often takes me through trees and brush, I want to keep my bike as light and narrow as possible. The Great Divide bag does that. It does not hang out past the muffler but easily carries enough stuff for extended trips ( I do travel fairly light). I load the heavier things (tools and liquids) in the lower sides to keep my COG as low as possible. Riding the highway, I do not know it is back there and the narrowness makes splitting lanes here in California a breeze. Off road, I can feel the weight but I have adapted my riding style to ride like I have a midget on then pillion:laugh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts