Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I haven't seen anything on the subject of "When can you set Torque Control"
When I picked up my bike I was told by the salesman that you can select/change torque control settings on the fly/while riding....
I now read in the official HONDA OWNER'S MANUAL Page53
and I quote "Do not operate the Torque Control switch while riding. Stop the motorcycle first and then turn off or on and select the desired level" - end Quote
Is this HONDA being over protective, or a misinformed salesman?
Can anyone answer this question with 100% certainty ? Thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You can switch the TC settings while driving.
Holding the button a few seconds switches off the TC, even on the move.

To switch off the rear ABS you do have to stop, but the engine can be kept running.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wouter V.
But what I really would like to know is, technically why do HONDA say no?
Or is it just a misprint?
Thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
ABS is a requirement by law over here in Belgium, Europe.
While TC is (at least for now) not legally required.
So maybe that 's the reason you can only switch the ABS off when stationary, while they're more free to do what they want with the TC?

By no means do I have any idea what I'm talking about, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anybody want to touch this subject ? anybody ?
It seems to have everybody stumped. (lots of views but no real technical answers)
There must be somebody out there who can answer my original question? which basically is, Can you select a different Torque Control Setting while riding, when the Honda Manual clearly states "Do not operate the Torque Control switch while riding"
Anybody ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Anybody want to touch this subject ? anybody ?
It seems to have everybody stumped. (lots of views but no real technical answers)
There must be somebody out there who can answer my original question? which basically is, Can you select a different Torque Control Setting while riding, when the Honda Manual clearly states "Do not operate the Torque Control switch while riding"
Anybody ?
You can change and turn off while riding.
My guess is Honda says not to so you don't try to change it while it is activated. In other words if on the gas and the TC is working and you try to change it at the same time.
I change mine all the time while the riding I just make sure the throttle of off before I do. This is only my opinion.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can change and turn off while riding.
My guess is Honda says not to so you don't try to change it while it is activated. In other words if on the gas and the TC is working and you try to change it at the same time.
I change mine all the time while the riding I just make sure the throttle of off before I do. This is only my opinion.
Hi all and Drum Dog, you are correct in what you said and do, even though you say its only your opinion.
I did some research on the internet and I learned a lot about TC.
Then I remembered that I know this guy who knows a guy at MPE HONDA AUSTRALIA, so through my mate I phone the guy at HONDA, who happens to be a in-house Tech for motorcycles, so I ask him the question.

Now without going into the finer details of how the TC works on the CRF1000, his words were :
"Yes, you can switch settings while riding providing the TC is not activating/working at the time."

As far as the ABS is concerned,
"you must come to a complete wheel rotation stop before changing the setting so that it can reset the electronics."

Now lets get out there and do what we do best - have fun :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
On page 53, It's telling you not to operate the TC while riding not that the TC cannot be changed while riding. A safety related message I believe.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On page 53, It's telling you not to operate the TC while riding not that the TC cannot be changed while riding. A safety related message I believe.
Yes, thats what I was told, "safety", The way I now see and understand it, is that HONDA believe that preforming this task while riding we riders are not qualified or capable of determining whether the TC is engaged or not at the time of switching, hence the instructions on page 53.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts