Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched but can't locate Honda's bronze color engine paint for touch up. Anyone know if it is available somewhere?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems to be a metallic bronze and was just hoping there was some kind of actual touch-up made but I may have it scanned and mixed. Thanks Davy.

·
Registered
361 Posts
There are metallic model paints that should be a pretty close match. For example, Tamiya specifies X-33 Gloss Bronze for the transmission case on their Africa Twin scale model. I wonder how durable acrylic would be over aluminum. For small chips it may be worth experimenting.

·
Registered
797 Posts
In the interest of science, I nipped down to the local modelling shop and lo and behold, they had the X-33 on the selves. So I splashed out on a bottle and tried it on a couple of very small nicks I have on my cases. Looked a bit dark when applied, but dried out superbly. For a mere £1.99, well worth the effort. Just glad I didn't have to pay for the paint I got mixed. :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great glad to hear it matches pretty well. I have a but more than a couple very small nicks unfortunately.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Excellent idea! I found a chip in the blue paint the day after my AT was delivered. The dealer says that Honda has not yet released the touch up paint and he can not get it. Anyone have any idea which number of Tamiya paint is the blue?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Excellent idea! I found a chip in the blue paint the day after my AT was delivered. The dealer says that Honda has not yet released the touch up paint and he can not get it. Anyone have any idea which number of Tamiya paint is the blue?
It's TS-89 Pearl Blue, but the photos I've seen suggest that color is a little light; you might also look at TS-19, TS-50, TS-51, and TS-53. Those paints are also only available in spray cans, though I guess you could spray it onto a card and apply with a brush. TS paints are lacquers that I think should adhere okay to aluminum and plastic.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Colorite usually has perfect paint matches for all machines. I think the color numbers are under the seat. They should be able to send factory colors. Web orders only.

·
Registered
33 Posts
In the interest of science, I nipped down to the local modelling shop and lo and behold, they had the X-33 on the selves. So I splashed out on a bottle and tried it on a couple of very small nicks I have on my cases. Looked a bit dark when applied, but dried out superbly. For a mere £1.99, well worth the effort. Just glad I didn't have to pay for the paint I got mixed. :grin2:
So glad to have found this... how did the touch up paint last and did the color stay true? Thanks

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Has Honda produced touch up paint for the bronze engine cover.Or can’t the paint be bought.
I need an answer to this too. And also for the silver paint for the lower engine casings? If Tamiya produce that one I will try it too, but it's going to get a bit warm
Mike

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
An update from me - None of the aluminium Tamiya colours match the engine casings, but the bronze is a good match.
Does anyone know which Tamiya code matched the gold wheels. (I have a claim in for star corrosion but I suspect Honda will reject it for using the wrong type of water to wash my bike).
Also spectral analysing is mentioned above - who can do that? Is it just any body shop ?
Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts