Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering the TT +20mm progressive spring (front and rear) upgrade on a '21 ATAS with the Showa EERA. I find the stock springs are a bit undersprung for my weight (208lbs), especially when fully loaded for a trip. I also would like to get a little more ride height. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this upgrade? I'm just worried things might be too stiff for everyday riding with this upgrade? Any info appreciated....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll let you know next week! Installing them later this week. It may take a while to dial in compression/rebound damping and really see the impact. Myself with gear is 116kg and I had the shock preload at max, with very little travel before bottoming out. the additional 20mm and heavier springs should make a big difference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll let you know next week! Installing them later this week. It may take a while to dial in compression/rebound damping and really see the impact. Myself with gear is 116kg and I had the shock preload at max, with very little travel before bottoming out. the additional 20mm and heavier springs should make a big difference.
Excellent, I'll look forward to the update.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a heads up for anyone thinking about ordering these spring upgrades. I ordered them directly from Hyperpro in the NL and saved about 150$ (Can) from the Touratech price, even after paying 80$ (Can) in shipping costs and the 40$ in taxes. They only took a few more days to get here. Touratech has a hefty mark-up, as with most of their products...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW, 2Tall, do you have the Showa EERA or the conventional set-up? I'm wondering how difficult it is to remove the rear shock? It looks pretty complicated to remove the electronic shock in the shop manual :rolleyes:

·
Registered
crf1100a4 2022
10 Posts
Hi 2Tall, i'm considering the same solution both for solving (hope) a wobble issue and excessive lowering when fully loaded, would you suggest the mod? How they work?

·
Registered
crf1100a4 2022
10 Posts
Just a heads up for anyone thinking about ordering these spring upgrades. I ordered them directly from Hyperpro in the NL and saved about 150$ (Can) from the Touratech price, even after paying 80$ (Can) in shipping costs and the 40$ in taxes. They only took a few more days to get here. Touratech has a hefty mark-up, as with most of their products...
Hi JWB, have you installed them already? I'm thinking about apply the same modification to my CRF in order to solve issues about wobble and excessive lowering of the Africa at full load! Thanks! (same model as yours CRF1100A4 with EERA feb2022)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi JWB, have you installed them already? I'm thinking about apply the same modification to my CRF in order to solve issues about wobble and excessive lowering of the Africa at full load! Thanks! (same model as yours CRF1100A4 with EERA feb2022)
I haven't put them in yet. I'm waiting for the dealer to get the required tools to repair the front forks. My bushings are worn, at 11,000kms, and will be fixed under warranty, assuming they can get the tools. Apparently the tools for EERA are hard to find, it's been a month now and no eta at this point. I'll have them put the new hyper pro springs in when they reassemble the forks, but it may no happen until next year at this rate. Our riding season is coming to an end soon. As for the rear shock, I'll have to take that out myself and then get the new spring put in, but the removal of the EERA rear shock seems quite involved, but hopefully I can do it myself. I'll keep posting any updates here...

·
Registered
crf1100a4 2022
10 Posts
I haven't put them in yet. I'm waiting for the dealer to get the required tools to repair the front forks. My bushings are worn, at 11,000kms, and will be fixed under warranty, assuming they can get the tools. Apparently the tools for EERA are hard to find, it's been a month now and no eta at this point. I'll have them put the new hyper pro springs in when they reassemble the forks, but it may no happen until next year at this rate. Our riding season is coming to an end soon. As for the rear shock, I'll have to take that out myself and then get the new spring put in, but the removal of the EERA rear shock seems quite involved, but hopefully I can do it myself. I'll keep posting any updates here...
**** I'm sorry. Yes, you need a specific tool, I was told in touratech italy. I have often heard about the bushing problem. For this reason I envisaged its replacement at the same time as the work on the springs. I stay tuned for updates. I have no plans to stop the bike before mid-November, as I also use it on a daily basis for work. Thank you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, here are my thoughts after installing them. tinged with a bit of buyer's remorse at not buying them directly from Hyperpro and saving $150 Cdn! I bought the +20mm (front and back) and heavier shock spring kit. They did raise the bike and gave me way more preload ability on the rear. Stock I had to use pretty much all preload just for my weight. I weigh 250 lbs (113kg). With the upgrade I can preload to about 20 clicks in on the shock (25 fully loaded).

As a first test, I went on a 500km gravel ride last weekend. Some very rough gravel, some rock, some washouts, all fully loaded with camping gear. I had a few bottom outs and some rough hits but certainly would have been very frequent with stock suspension. I found the ride harsh at first based on the suggested Hyperpro compression and rebound settings. I backed off on the rebound and the ride smoothed out considerably. I didn't test them really hard after the change so that will be a bit of a longer term review. I may also back off the compression a click or two on the shock and see what happens, although I'm a bit wary of this when fully loaded.

I haven't had a chance to run unloaded on gravel/loose rock but given the improvement loaded, it's going to be a lot better.

One thing i will say is the the valving in both forks and shock were not up to the task. Even after rebuilding the forks with new oil seals, the oil got so hot i had some pretty good leakage on one seal. And at times it felt like the shock was fading. I didn't stick a finger on it to see how hot it got but I can guess it got hot.

So I'd say the spring alone upgrade for both is good, but realistically insufficient for my weight and a fully loaded situation on continuous, rough riding. A friend has the stock 2016 ATAS, weighs the same as me and thinks his rides fine, but I'm curious to try it and see the difference.

Overall, the upgrade was well worth it. There's remaining work to do. Still a super capable bike, made even more capable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2Tall, do you see a need to modify the sidestand? Mine leans pretty far with the stock suspension and low preload on the rear. I can imagine it'll lean even more now with the added 20mm?

·
Registered
15 Posts
2Tall, do you see a need to modify the sidestand? Mine leans pretty far with the stock suspension and low preload on the rear. I can imagine it'll lean even more now with the added 20mm?
I hadn’t thought of it. Fully loaded last weekend it seemed to be fine. Looking at it tonight, without load and therefore less sag, it does seem to lean a lot, but not enough to worry about. I have a Camel foot on it that may just give enough extra length to be stable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Another update. Went for a slab ride tonight and think I’m going to start dialing back the compression settings a notch at a time. Can definitely feel the stronger springs. If the shock had both fast and slow compression adjustability, it would be only the fast I’d dial back. Still happy with the upgrade overal.

·
Registered
crf1100a4 2022
10 Posts
Thank you @2Tall, your feedback is precious!
I'm not convinced yet, so sent an e-mail to Tuoratech today, i'll post here their response about my questions once received.

Here the mail i sent:

Goodmorning,
I am writing to ask for your technical opinion regarding the replacement of the springs that I would like to implement on my CRF1100A4 adventure sports equipped with showa EERA suspensions.

The motorcycle is used daily in low load conditions with only the rider (me) and at the weekend for short trips for two with moderate load.

About twice a year the CRF takes us on a trip: two people, full load (I attach photos).

I weight, dressed and with a helmet, about 120 Kg, the passenger about 75 Kg.

The total load when complete is estimated at 40 kg, for a total of about 235 -240 kg in addition to the weight of the bike in running order.

What i experienced in the first 9.000 km with the bike is this:

The original suspensions, even when used at maximum preload, front and rear, struggle to react correctly from medium loads to heavy loads. Sometimes causing the rear to sink.

I also report that the bike shows a wobbling problem to the steering, both when braking at low speed and when riding at high speed. This problem increases with load on the rear, such as the top case, even if empty.

My hope is that increasing the spring feedback on the rear can stabilize the front giving it more load to carry. The sensation on the front is to have it always “light”.

Have you ever heard of this wobble issue before? Do you think it could be related to the suspensions? (In the meantime I changed tires -at the moment TKC70 – and checked tires alignment, balancing and rims straightness).

For these reasons I am considering replacing the springs with your +20 mm kit.
( Progressive front and rear replacement springs for the Honda CRF1100L Adventure Sports with EERA (2020-2021) / +20mm height / Heavy Load )

The concern is that installing the +20mm kit could negatively affect the use alone, while the fact remains that my weight is much higher than the 75 kg that Honda declares as the driver's design weight. The springs are progressive, so I can imagine that this modification should not reduce the riding comfort but maybe increase it, because at the moment I'm using extremely hard settings to compensate the issues reported here.
Do you think there is something to report in this regard?

Another question is: could the pregrressive springs kit with no + 20mm fit the problems I exposed or is the +20mm the best solution?

Please note that I am 185 cm tall, so the increase in height from the ground is not a problem, even if I wondered about the side stand: won't the bike lean too much?

In general terms I would be advised to try to install, however, given your great experience, I considered it useful to write to you first and have your opinion on it.
I remain available for any clarifications and I thank you in advance.

Note: i tried to write to the address [email protected] , but isn't working. Hopo writing you here is ok.
Note 2: i'm going to contact Touratech Italy (Vignate), i had a preliminar contact with them in august but i thought about asking you directly before, imagining that you may have had more similar cases being a worldwide office.

Best wishes

Sky Cloud Plant Tire Wheel

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you @2Tall, your feedback is precious!
I'm not convinced yet, so sent an e-mail to Tuoratech today, i'll post here their response about my questions once received.

Here the mail i sent:

Goodmorning,
I am writing to ask for your technical opinion regarding the replacement of the springs that I would like to implement on my CRF1100A4 adventure sports equipped with showa EERA suspensions.

The motorcycle is used daily in low load conditions with only the rider (me) and at the weekend for short trips for two with moderate load.

About twice a year the CRF takes us on a trip: two people, full load (I attach photos).

I weight, dressed and with a helmet, about 120 Kg, the passenger about 75 Kg.

The total load when complete is estimated at 40 kg, for a total of about 235 -240 kg in addition to the weight of the bike in running order.

What i experienced in the first 9.000 km with the bike is this:

The original suspensions, even when used at maximum preload, front and rear, struggle to react correctly from medium loads to heavy loads. Sometimes causing the rear to sink.

I also report that the bike shows a wobbling problem to the steering, both when braking at low speed and when riding at high speed. This problem increases with load on the rear, such as the top case, even if empty.

My hope is that increasing the spring feedback on the rear can stabilize the front giving it more load to carry. The sensation on the front is to have it always “light”.

Have you ever heard of this wobble issue before? Do you think it could be related to the suspensions? (In the meantime I changed tires -at the moment TKC70 – and checked tires alignment, balancing and rims straightness).

For these reasons I am considering replacing the springs with your +20 mm kit.
( Progressive front and rear replacement springs for the Honda CRF1100L Adventure Sports with EERA (2020-2021) / +20mm height / Heavy Load )

The concern is that installing the +20mm kit could negatively affect the use alone, while the fact remains that my weight is much higher than the 75 kg that Honda declares as the driver's design weight. The springs are progressive, so I can imagine that this modification should not reduce the riding comfort but maybe increase it, because at the moment I'm using extremely hard settings to compensate the issues reported here.
Do you think there is something to report in this regard?

Another question is: could the pregrressive springs kit with no + 20mm fit the problems I exposed or is the +20mm the best solution?

Please note that I am 185 cm tall, so the increase in height from the ground is not a problem, even if I wondered about the side stand: won't the bike lean too much?

In general terms I would be advised to try to install, however, given your great experience, I considered it useful to write to you first and have your opinion on it.
I remain available for any clarifications and I thank you in advance.

Note: i tried to write to the address [email protected] , but isn't working. Hopo writing you here is ok.
Note 2: i'm going to contact Touratech Italy (Vignate), i had a preliminar contact with them in august but i thought about asking you directly before, imagining that you may have had more similar cases being a worldwide office.

Best wishes

View attachment 75460
Thank you @Dam84. I'm curious to know Touratech's response. I'm surprised there's room left for you after all that packing, much less your wife as well!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice set-up, that is quite a load for the stock suspension for sure. I think the +20mm set-up will prob work well for you, the only downside is that it may be a bit harsh when not loaded. I haven't installed mine yet, but that what's I expect to happen. I'll keep an eye out here to see if you get a response from Touratech. Just keep in mind you'll save money ordering directly from hyperpro and avoiding the touratech mark-up. That's what I did and saved a bundle. I would also add that I have experienced the wobble you've mentioned. It was really pronounced on accel and decel. My front forks move forward and backward and it turns out to be worn bushings inside the fork. I'm waiting on the repair now. I have a feeling that will cure some of it, but I also installed a steering damper and that helped as well. Any heavy load will cause some wobble I expect, but this is by far the worst I've experienced of all my adventure bikes. But other than that it's an amazing bike and puts a smile on my face every time I ride it!

Keep us posted...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts