Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else installed the Touratech crash bars on an A/T 1100?

I get after them this evening, but the left side lower just doesn't install well with that slot in the upper mount. It's almost completely closed and there's not way I can get a bold in it so effectively the left side is only mounted by 1 bolt in the center mount section.

on top of that, the tube bends to block the upper bolt as well so even if it was aligned, there's not way to get a bolt in there.
Pretty disappointed with them overall - they're on, but they are nowhere near as clean as the install looks on the 1000L bikes.

·
Registered
2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT
188 Posts
I know it is no help as I had mine installed rather than doing it myself, but they are clean and connected and solid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it is no help as I had mine installed rather than doing it myself, but they are clean and connected and solid.
No that's definitely a help - at least I know it's possible now!
It's only the lower one that's an issue. The uppers installed easily.
That upper bolt on the middle mount was getting pinched and restricting the lower bolts from aligning. It doesn't seem damaged in transit or anything.

The hardware supplied is pretty low quality too so McMaster order will be going in to replace of it, or to at least have spares when I need them.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Has anyone else installed the Touratech crash bars on an A/T 1100?

I get after them this evening, but the left side lower just doesn't install well with that slot in the upper mount. It's almost completely closed and there's not way I can get a bold in it so effectively the left side is only mounted by 1 bolt in the center mount section.

on top of that, the tube bends to block the upper bolt as well so even if it was aligned, there's not way to get a bolt in there.
Pretty disappointed with them overall - they're on, but they are nowhere near as clean as the install looks on the 1000L bikes.
Hey mcderd, is this still an issue for you? I just installed the engine and fairing crash bars from Touratech. Aside from being shipped the incorrect "Y" bar (that connects to the subframe under the headlights) I was able to get a good, even installation.

If you're still having difficulties, please sends some pictures and I can do the same. Perhaps there's something I can help with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey mcderd, is this still an issue for you? I just installed the engine and fairing crash bars from Touratech. Aside from being shipped the incorrect "Y" bar (that connects to the subframe under the headlights) I was able to get a good, even installation.

If you're still having difficulties, please sends some pictures and I can do the same. Perhaps there's something I can help with.
Hey David,

I got it all installed with a little encouragement. The left side engine guard was definitely not manufactured to spec (or the specs are off) by a fraction of a mm. Hard to get those complicated pipe bends 100% accurate. It's all on now though until I need to change air filters or something anyhow.

Everything is straight and symmetric after install though. Not sure why they felt the need to make the bends so tortuous that they prevent easy access for tightening of the slotted screw on the left side guard.

I can take some images for you if there's something you need to confirm on your install?
The upper bars went together with no fuss on mine. Lower right side engine bar bolt by the foot peg is a few mm short but it nut catches eventually.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts