Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the Touratech upper and lower crash bars on my ATAS DCT bike today. I had them on my old 17 DCT and they seemed to work well and were easy to install (no removing the headers or anything).

While they look good, I'm not convinced Touratech actually installed these as the instructions are very vague (says nothing about the DCT cover and says nothing about removing the exhaust shield (albeit this is pretty obvious)). My first issue was the plastic DCT cover did not allow a straight shot at the bolt, I finally got it in, however given the angle I stripped the threads and had to replace it with a hex bolt (rather than an Allen), this allowed me to thread it through a ratcheting wrench and get it on (then by luck I was able to get my wrench back off as the angles are very very tight). My next issue was on the other lower crash bar. The angle of the bar does not permit you to get an allen wrench to the head of the bolt, I ended up going to lowes and purchasing a set of ball head allens, however with the ball head there is no scenario where you can properly torque the bolt.

In hindsight having a nice set of ball-head allen wrenches and removing the plastic DCT cover (not real sure how I would get it back on as the bar covers up the cover bolt) probably would have made the install significantly easier, I still haven't figured out how to get them torqued down (They are as tight as I was comfortable with a ball head allen). I'm also worried about getting them off to change the air filter (I'm guessing the uppers have to come off, like my old bike).

My buddy who helped me install sent his back (He had them in a box and was going to install as soon as he got time) after seeing my install. Like I said so far so good and they do look good and are pretty sturdy (besides being attached on the DCT side by the exhaust hangar/footpeg mount), however, knowing what I know now I would probably try a different set.

·
Registered
ATAS 2020 DCT ES
120 Posts
Mmmhh, with this story read I’m leaning more towards the Outback’s .
I was doubting between them, Heed and Touratech’s. Outback‘s are expensive butt you don’t have to remove something while doing maintenance.
Now the biggest task is convincing the wife I’m spending 900€ for some ”scaffolding” on my mistress 🤣

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,479 Posts
Mmmhh, with this story read I’m leaning more towards the Outback’s .
I was doubting between them, Heed and Touratech’s. Outback‘s are expensive butt you don’t have to remove something while doing maintenance.
Now the biggest task is convincing the wife I’m spending 900€ for some ”scaffolding” on my mistress 🤣

Not sure if the AS would be different but the Heed ones don't need removed for getting to filter etc on the standard AT, here is mine today, fairing sides, tank etc off all with the bars in place..

Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fuel tank Motor vehicle

·
Registered
451 Posts
Installed the Touratech upper and lower crash bars on my ATAS DCT bike today. I had them on my old 17 DCT and they seemed to work well and were easy to install (no removing the headers or anything).

While they look good, I'm not convinced Touratech actually installed these as the instructions are very vague (says nothing about the DCT cover and says nothing about removing the exhaust shield (albeit this is pretty obvious)). My first issue was the plastic DCT cover did not allow a straight shot at the bolt, I finally got it in, however given the angle I stripped the threads and had to replace it with a hex bolt (rather than an Allen), this allowed me to thread it through a ratcheting wrench and get it on (then by luck I was able to get my wrench back off as the angles are very very tight). My next issue was on the other lower crash bar. The angle of the bar does not permit you to get an allen wrench to the head of the bolt, I ended up going to lowes and purchasing a set of ball head allens, however with the ball head there is no scenario where you can properly torque the bolt.

In hindsight having a nice set of ball-head allen wrenches and removing the plastic DCT cover (not real sure how I would get it back on as the bar covers up the cover bolt) probably would have made the install significantly easier, I still haven't figured out how to get them torqued down (They are as tight as I was comfortable with a ball head allen). I'm also worried about getting them off to change the air filter (I'm guessing the uppers have to come off, like my old bike).

My buddy who helped me install sent his back (He had them in a box and was going to install as soon as he got time) after seeing my install. Like I said so far so good and they do look good and are pretty sturdy (besides being attached on the DCT side by the exhaust hangar/footpeg mount), however, knowing what I know now I would probably try a different set.
Really helpful. I’ve been struggling to decide for a year and a half. I really like that Touratech is stainless but but it seems not worth it. Heed appears to be the cheapest and owners seem to be pleased.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some pics for reference, notice the angle of the bars prevents straight access to the bolts and I’m guessing not enough clearance between to remove the fairing plastic. To their credit, they do look good and feel solid.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 DCT, 2021 Adv Sport ES DCT
600 Posts
Got to admit, they look good.

I also have managed to get the plastic off without removing a set of Heed Bunker bars on my 2017. The key trick for me was removing the turn signal stalk, after loosening the plastic's fasteners. The plastic could then come up and out. Zip tying some cloth on the bars is also helpful, to prevent scratches while sliding the plastic up.

FYI... just one of the shiny red pieces of plastic on the fairing, not the whole fairing piece on a side lists for $349.00 USD. Have not looked at bits like a radiator or the other plastic bits, but I am very pleased to have adequate upper crash bars.

@rrmongoose , another potential solution for the tough access allen bolt: Maybe buy a 3/8" drive allen in the appropriate size, then cut the length down to about just enough to fully engage into the bolt socket. You might then be able to use either a small breaker bar, or a wobbly socket extension into the drive on the allen.

Gotta love the ball socket allen wrenches (Bondus is your friend), but they are hard to apply much torque with, as you noticed.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had the Touratech bars on my 16 AT. They proved to be flimsy after the first drop. Sold them to someone wanting the look and a place to mount extra lights. Wanted the Outbacks, but $$$$$. Bought the Heeds. What awesome value! They are solid.

·
Super Moderator
10,215 Posts
That’s what I went with!!! Thick as peanut butter!! 😂😂
I hope to never have to test them, but I do use the lowers for kicking up my feet on mounted footrests on long rides. Feels good.

The uppers look very hefty. I can't imagine what force it would be to take them out. Don't want to know.

·
Registered
2022 Africa Twin Manual. R380B.
481 Posts
Special Request. Please.
Can some of you, with Touratech or Altrider, take a pic from front and below the center attachment of the bars?
The part which fasten to the frame, and holds the bars in front.
The Hepco have like a straight pipe there, which I think, doesn't is strong enough in a nap.
But also have the reinforcement bar in the middle, which perhaps helps to make it more robust.
A triangle design there, like I think Touratech or Altrider have, will help to distribute the forces more equally, and prevent lateral movement to hit the fairing or he tank.
I need that little detail to decide.
Thank You in advance.

·
Registered
2021 AFRICA Twin Adventure Sports ES
52 Posts
Special Request. Please.
Can some of you, with Touratech or Altrider, take a pic from front and below the center attachment of the bars?
The part which fasten to the frame, and holds the bars in front.
The Hepco have like a straight pipe there, which I think, doesn't is strong enough in a nap.
But also have the reinforcement bar in the middle, which perhaps helps to make it more robust.
A triangle design there, like I think Touratech or Altrider have, will help to distribute the forces more equally, and prevent lateral movement to hit the fairing or he tank.
I need that little detail to decide.
Thank You in advance.
Okay. I can say this. My Buddy had to bend his Touratech bars by hand when we were riding after a drop. Altrider is thick as peanut butter! I dropped mine twice. One on big rocks and one in gravel. No damage to the bike!! Just some scratches on the bars.

·
Registered
2021 Africa Twin
1 Posts
No it fit without bending the brake lever. The only thing I had to get use to is the shifter. I’m a size 13 and had to get use to that.
Searching for other AT non-DCT owners with AltRider crash bars I came across your post about about getting used to the shifter and size 13 boots. I recently installed the full AltRider crash bar system and bash plate and have rode about 800 miles. The only issue I have is the shifter and lower crash bar in the same plane with only about 3/4” between the two. I have ridden about 800 miles with the crash bar system and continuously get my boot caught under the crash bar when up shifting and missing down shifts due tho the lower crash bar. I presume this is the same issue you are referencing as I wear a size 13 boot as well. If so, glad to hear I am not the only AT rider having this issue. I have notified AltRider of the issue with via email with pictures and several phone calls. Hopefully they come up with a solution soon.

·
Registered
2021 AFRICA Twin Adventure Sports ES
52 Posts
Searching for other AT non-DCT owners with AltRider crash bars I came across your post about about getting used to the shifter and size 13 boots. I recently installed the full AltRider crash bar system and bash plate and have rode about 800 miles. The only issue I have is the shifter and lower crash bar in the same plane with only about 3/4” between the two. I have ridden about 800 miles with the crash bar system and continuously get my boot caught under the crash bar when up shifting and missing down shifts due tho the lower crash bar. I presume this is the same issue you are referencing as I wear a size 13 boot as well. If so, glad to hear I am not the only AT rider having this issue. I have notified AltRider of the issue with via email with pictures and several phone calls. Hopefully they come up with a solution soon.
Yeah I’m about 800 miles in as well, I just got use to it. It is nice to put your feet up in the lowers down the Highway though!!😎

·
Registered
20 Posts

Good evening, I just purchased the Touratech uppers and lowers for my 2022 AT AS DCT . Uppers look great , lower left looks good, DCT lower doesn’t fit , the dct gear box won’t physically allow the bar to be fitted and to locate the holes. I’m pretty disgusted with Touratech at the moment, paid a small fortune to have parts that don’t fit. Your issue sounds very similar

·
Registered
8 Posts
For those of you who installed the Touratech crash bars, how in the name of heaven did you get the nut on the top bolt?

Right now the only idea I have is to drain the cooling system and remove the hose that's in the way.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good evening, I just purchased the Touratech uppers and lowers for my 2022 AT AS DCT . Uppers look great , lower left looks good, DCT lower doesn’t fit , the dct gear box won’t physically allow the bar to be fitted and to locate the holes. I’m pretty disgusted with Touratech at the moment, paid a small fortune to have parts that don’t fit. Your issue sounds very similar
You must have gotten the non DCT ones I fitted mine without issues on my 2020 ATAS DCT. Have they sorted out and sent you the right one for your DCT by now?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts