Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my Touratech Extreme rear shock yesterday. Super easy install. Took about two hours to remove the stock shock and install the Touratech. Went for a short ride and it is a whole new ride. Im very happy with it. Now I need to save money for the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
I'm curious what you find different.
What feels different about how the bike performs? Ride height taller? Less sag? Are you a heavy guy? Do you tour with lots of gear/weight? Lots of two-up riding? Offroad?
So many threads about improving the suspension but it seems it's mostly about feel.

One of my favorite suspension experiences was on my VFR, which I left completely stock. My buddy had exactly the same bike - colour, year, everything. He spent about $2,000 USD on suspension (front and back). We traded bikes during a ride one day. I thought his felt noticeably more firm, maybe a bit easier to turn it, maybe a bit less sag, but not night and day better. He got off mine and said he loved it - what did I do to the bike? When I told him it was stuck it was a bit of a Charlie Brown moment - he was stupefied and couldn't believe it.

At 6'1" and 210, I've felt the bike was just fine on the road and offroad with luggage. It is maybe low in the stroke on the rear shock when loaded.

I'm not saying your Touratech isn't a complete change but.... what are the details? Maybe it'll help someone else make that leap and spend all that money, too. :)

I'm certainly no expert, but these guys are and talk a bit about the buzz of the suspension of our bikes - https://www.teknikmotorsport.com/Honda-CRF1000L-Africa-Twin-Suspension-modification

Reactions: Speedo007

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stock shock was ok for just me. I just wanted to be able to set proper sag which I was not able to achieve. I am now able to get proper sag with myself and a passenger. I ride two up a lot. I weigh 225 without gear. With the stock shock I was able to almost flat foot it at a stop, now I am tip toeing, so it did raise the bike up quite a bit. I almost dropped the bike when I came to a stop cause I wasn't ready for how high it raised the bike. Bike also leans a lot more when on the side stand which I do not like. The stock shock was also at max settings so I had no more adjustment with the with it. Now the main difference for me was my bike was bouncy with the stock shock when I was loaded. I could just never get it dialed in. The bounciness is now gone. Bike feels smooth. Im still trying to dial it in. Lots of adjustment with the new shock. I was planning on completely redoing the front but now I am thinking just adding springs to achieve proper sag as it has helped the front out also with the bounciness. I had a 02 VFR back in the day, that bike was awesome and I miss that bike. Its funny you mention the vfr. I redid the suspension on that bike also and I regretted it. Went back to stock. Sometimes spending tons of money on suspension doesn't make a difference, makes it worse. I do have to say I am very happy with the Touratech as it has made a difference. I had on Ohlins on order but they are having major issues it sounds like so I upgraded to Touratech...It was a definite wallet killer but I can say I am honestly happy with my decision. Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Wasted thousands on Ohlins in the past, they are all about performance, nothing about comfort. On the AT, I think it could be smoother on the bigger bumps. I ride mostly solo, but feel like the bike is smoother when riding with my gf. I was looking at the Touratech, but conisdering how much they cost, and that you are still trying to dial them in, I think I'll just live with the stock ones for a while. What I did like about the Touratech is the independantly adjusted high and low speed damping, that plays a bit role in the harshness of the suspensions when you hit bigger bumps...on most shocks when you want to adjust one you affect the other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts