Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience of this seat? Ive looked at sargent and seat concepts but this one seems very good and flat so stopping the awful forward slide i seem to get with the oem seat.

·
Registered
437 Posts
No.. But do bear in mind that the seat for the Adventure Sports is also flat. And they are widely available second hand.

This may not suit you, or answer your question. but questions like this have a habit of being resurrected and so. For earlier bikes (pre 2018) if you want a flat seat.. another option is a seat from a 2018/19 Adventure Sports a redesign, which is also a straight swap.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The seat on my 2018 ATAS is like their Rally seat. They are straight - but not flat - and you will slide forward (especially the passenger). The High seat has some dishing to keep you from sliding forward - but it didn't seem different than a standard AT seat to me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys for all the help. I like the idea of the ATAS seat Motorbiker, and will see if my dealer will let me try one out! my bike is a 2016 my and im 6ft with 34 leg, so have no problem with the seat being too tall I just need it to be flat!

·
Registered
297 Posts
That is strange, my ATAS seat is flat and I do not slide forward at all.

A lot of it has to do with leg inseam (it changes the knee bend and therefore the angle of the thigh) and you're weight. Usually shorter riders will be fine with most seats the thighs are at an angle and they weigh less, and taller riders will find the slope very uncomfortable and get a painful pressure point (more weight, unevenly distributed on the seat). I'm 6'1" and have experienced the same on many bikes, except the very few that had flat seats. My FZ9 was terrible for that, but shorter riders felt it was fine. On the Africa Twin I couldn't ride 4h on the stock seat. With the Seat Concept its improved by at last 80%.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That is strange, my ATAS seat is flat and I do not slide forward at all.
I'm just under 6'4" tall with a 36" inseam. I would probably fit 37" pants better if anyone made them. My leg length from knee to hip is longer than most people's - and makes me sit further back on the seat where it is wider and gives less. If I sit further forward then I don't slide forward - but my knees are past the tank cutouts. I don't know at what height it starts being an issue - but I know that people with a 36" inseam will notice it. Sitting on the wider part of the seat I still bend my legs standing flat footed. Moving the seat to the low position moves me back about 3/4 of an inch which helps - but then I'm an inch closer to the ground and my knees are bent more (I don't really want either of those).
I've modified seats on several bikes. I had a Corbin on my FZ-09 and loved it - but I don't want leather on this bike, and I would need to have them custom make one because I wouldn't want the dished portions as deep. Before I do that though - I'll try modding the foam in the current seat. You can keep the same cover and change how the foam acts by using a 1/4 to 3/8 inch sanding drum to make 1/4 to 3/8 inch wide by 1/2 inch deep holes where you want a little more give. Because of the length of my legs - I might be better off building up the current low point so I can sit further back - because going up will be better for my legs than going down (I've owned more than one bike with a 37 inch seat height - and it felt like a natural fit). I've done thousands of miles on this bike waiting for that part of the seat to break in - but it's not. Sitting on beads during the summer helped - probably in part because it filled in the low spot of the seat I slide into. But I'm ready to take the seat apart to make it fit me better. Now all I need is the time... :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm just under 6'4" tall with a 36" inseam. I would probably fit 37" pants better if anyone made them. My leg length from knee to hip is longer than most people's - and makes me sit further back on the seat where it is wider and gives less. If I sit further forward then I don't slide forward - but my knees are past the tank cutouts. I don't know at what height it starts being an issue - but I know that people with a 36" inseam will notice it. Sitting on the wider part of the seat I still bend my legs standing flat footed. Moving the seat to the low position moves me back about 3/4 of an inch which helps - but then I'm an inch closer to the ground and my knees are bent more (I don't really want either of those).
I've modified seats on several bikes. I had a Corbin on my FZ-09 and loved it - but I don't want leather on this bike, and I would need to have them custom make one because I wouldn't want the dished portions as deep. Before I do that though - I'll try modding the foam in the current seat. You can keep the same cover and change how the foam acts by using a 1/4 to 3/8 inch sanding drum to make 1/4 to 3/8 inch wide by 1/2 inch deep holes where you want a little more give. Because of the length of my legs - I might be better off building up the current low point so I can sit further back - because going up will be better for my legs than going down (I've owned more than one bike with a 37 inch seat height - and it felt like a natural fit). I've done thousands of miles on this bike waiting for that part of the seat to break in - but it's not. Sitting on beads during the summer helped - probably in part because it filled in the low spot of the seat I slide into. But I'm ready to take the seat apart to make it fit me better. Now all I need is the time... :)
Wow! you are tall my friend....I had my oem seat modded with some foam added to the front of the seat thus hopefully flattening it out a bit, and it has worked to a degree but I can still feel the 'slide' a bit. Also like you I tend to sit further back on the seat and after a while using knees to keep you there adds an ache to them so it hasn't really solved anything as yet! shame we are so lanky really, possibly a couple of inches chopped off our legs would be the best solution lol....:grin2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts