Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Touratech medium tinted screen fitted. It's alleged to be 2" shorter than the oe screen, but it doesn't seem that much lower. I've had a short ride with my normal lid and its fine, the big test will be when I wear my Tour X. It's terribly expensive tho' feels well made and is quite thicker than the oe screen, not that that'll make much difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I’m not convinced that this screen is the perfect compromise. Wearing my Arai TourX, up to 60 is fine. Between 60 and 70, things are starting to get a tad vibey. Over 70 and there’s a kind of drumming taking over. It’s very hard to explain or get across how this feels, but I guess the air is tumbling off that top upright lip and hitting the helmets peak causing the vibes.

So, the next step ? I’m thinking that going back to a lower screen is the answer and I’m going to take the scary step of cutting that top lip of the TT screen off in the hope of getting a more direct, smooth wind blast aimed at my lid. I’ll experiment on the short MRA screen I have with my Dremel to see if I can get a nice finished edge before attacking the TT screen which is much thicker. It could all end in very expensive tears !

·
Registered
31 Posts
Merry Christmas Davy! My TT medium/tinted is very dark. Makes it hard to see all the nails and other sharp objects I'm about to roll over. That is my only complaint-other than high price! Good luck with yours, we set too far back from our windscreens to get into the quiet zone. I just crank it and go!

Ride safe

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well I’m not convinced that this screen is the perfect compromise. Wearing my Arai TourX, up to 60 is fine. Between 60 and 70, things are starting to get a tad vibey. Over 70 and there’s a kind of drumming taking over. It’s very hard to explain or get across how this feels, but I guess the air is tumbling off that top upright lip and hitting the helmets peak causing the vibes.

So, the next step ? I’m thinking that going back to a lower screen is the answer and I’m going to take the scary step of cutting that top lip of the TT screen off in the hope of getting a more direct, smooth wind blast aimed at my lid. I’ll experiment on the short MRA screen I have with my Dremel to see if I can get a nice finished edge before attacking the TT screen which is much thicker. It could all end in very expensive tears !
I use the same helmet, am 6 foot tall and experienced the same thing as you.

Solution was the Geotech fork shield in combination with the batzen screen riser. I need only have to set the screen half-way up to get it to completely smooth out the air turbulence on my tour x helmet. Couldn't recommend it enough.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m convinced that the upright portion on the screen doesn’t do me any favours. The screen is fine up to approx 60 mph, over that and the head buzz creeps back in. Sooooo......I bit the bullet and decided to cut it off ! :surprise:
I can’t say as yet how effective this mod to the screen is (its -2 here now) but hopefully losing the top part will smooth the airflow out better. I do have to say that the quality is right up there and cutting it didn’t prove to be a problem.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts