Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched some install videos. I read and re-read the manual.

Drilled through the fender and right through the wiring for the rear tail light. Rear running light and brake light not working. Woopsie!

So - if you're installing these very nice racks, when you drill (make sure you use the template) through the fender, make sure you don't push too hard when you get through the plastic (it is easy to make this mistake). Also, might be a good idea to remove the luggage rack and rear trim pieces (a real pain in the @ss) so that you can see/avoid the wiring bundle.

Before you comment call me an idiot, let me beat you to it: I'm an idiot. #lessonlearned #havefun

·
Registered
284 Posts
Man, I was so delighted when I received my Touratech Zega Mundo panniers and rack for the 2018 model year. It appears to apply to the standard 2018 model too - NO MORE DRILLING up through the fender!

I was all prepared to do it too! But when I read over the instructions (purchased the 2018 model year set), I was surprised that it didn't show any drilling; no template. And upon closer inspection, realized they'd changed the way it mounts. Uses just the 3 notches either side: two up, one below, for a seriously rugged and solid clamping of the upper rack to the bike. I was saved the possible trouble you found yourself in!

The odd thing is that Touratech has *still* yet to update the description or the downloadable PDF install instructions on their web page for the 2018 panniers/ rack. They still show the drilling required--even if you select the 2018 set.

I guess you'll only find out when you receive your package and take a look at the instructions.

I'm assuming yours is a 2017 or earlier bike? Because the Zega Mundo Pannier set is simply model year specific, doesn't appear to have to be an Adventure Sports model, just 2018.

Sorry to hear about your trouble man. Hope you get it worked out ok.

Just thought I'd add this for anyone considering the 2018 set. No more drilling... nice. A very elegant solution--and solid as can be.

All the best, Gary

·
Registered
223 Posts
Man, I was so delighted when I received my Touratech Zega Mundo panniers and rack for the 2018 model year. It appears to apply to the standard 2018 model too - NO MORE DRILLING up through the fender!

I was all prepared to do it too! But when I read over the instructions (purchased the 2018 model year set), I was surprised that it didn't show any drilling; no template. And upon closer inspection, realized they'd changed the way it mounts. Uses just the 3 notches either side: two up, one below, for a seriously rugged and solid clamping of the upper rack to the bike. I was saved the possible trouble you found yourself in!

The odd thing is that Touratech has *still* yet to update the description or the downloadable PDF install instructions on their web page for the 2018 panniers/ rack. They still show the drilling required--even if you select the 2018 set.

I guess you'll only find out when you receive your package and take a look at the instructions.

I'm assuming yours is a 2017 or earlier bike? Because the Zega Mundo Pannier set is simply model year specific, doesn't appear to have to be an Adventure Sports model, just 2018.

Sorry to hear about your trouble man. Hope you get it worked out ok.

Just thought I'd add this for anyone considering the 2018 set. No more drilling... nice. A very elegant solution--and solid as can be.

All the best, Gary

Do you still have to move the indicators or have they sorted out that big design error?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, I was installing on my new '17. Good thing I know how to solder! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do you still have to move the indicators or have they sorted out that big design error?
Still have to relocate the indicators on 2018s as well, which I think took more time than actually mounting the racks. There's only one way for the indicator mount to go back in and they still mine managed to come out looking wonky. Was a big pet peeve of mine when I installed Jesse racks on my old 1150GS and had to modify the indicators, no matter what I did one of them was always angled towards the ground. Not as obvious on the ATAS, but if I really look at them they're a bit off.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yeah. Technically, just the left side has to come in to make room for the box on that side, but it would look weird with one indicator sticking out further than the other.

And it's true, remounting the indicators isn't difficult, but takes about 1/2 hr to get it all done.

But my indicators aren't too badly aligned after. If you look real close, it appears both angle upward just a *tad* but hardly noticeable. And to be fair, I can't remember if they were *perfectly* aligned before moving them.

But I couldn't help notice that had I left the indicators in their original positions, it might have actually fit, because it's just about exactly 1/2 in. away from the box. And they were adjusted in about 1/2 in.

But I wouldn't call it a "design flaw." They could have easily made a rack that didn't require moving the indicator(s) -- but it would have made the mounted pannier boxes just that much wider in the end. And no one likes their boxes wider than necessary. I, for one, appreciate the thoughtful design... so, we move the indicators in just 1/2 in. You can barely tell the difference.

Gary

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts