Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Talk to me at the end of July this year. I'll be riding 15,000 kilometres in one journey. That should give me a good chance to evaluate it as an all-rounder and tourer. :)

I've only ridden 1000 kilometres so far. It's comfortable, good ergonomics, confidence inspiring on gravel and service roads, and really fuel efficient. Looks and feels like a winner to me.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've done some of the already open Swiss passes, with the paniers full of my photography material. Really nothing to complain, the tire change did a dramatic improvement and my only gripe is with the turn signal button too low !

So far 3100 Km and planned about 7000 Km through Germany, Sweden and Norway, in June !
Will update if I do another long motorcycle weekend.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I had several short trips last year over to Scotland and a longer one through Wales and England. Rode through some rotten weather with the bike leaning over on straight roads, but no problems. Conti TA2's the biggest confidence factor on the road, whatever the weather. Fantastic economy, reasonable enough comfort, stability loaded with panniers and topbox and reliability all make a good trip enjoyable. 6500 miles so far, most miles covered going places with a Euro trip through Holland/Germany/Belguim/France later this year. :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had several short trips last year over to Scotland and a longer one through Wales and England. Rode through some rotten weather with the bike leaning over on straight roads, but no problems. Conti TA2's the biggest confidence factor on the road, whatever the weather. Fantastic economy, reasonable enough comfort, stability loaded with panniers and topbox and reliability all make a good trip enjoyable. 6500 miles so far, most miles covered going places with a Euro trip through Holland/Germany/Belguim/France later this year. :grin2:
Just curious did you do these 6500 miles on the TA2, because judging the wear on mine, the front will be gone around 4500Km,
that's a huge difference and I wasn't much loaded for the 3100 Km i did.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I changed the oe Craplops from 0 miles and did about 4.5k miles on the TA2's before I bought my Alpina wheels, so I just had a new set fitted to those instead of swapping tyres over.

Just for you, I brought the front wheel down from the roof space and measured the tread depth. 0:) From experience with the same make of tyres on my 1190 Adv, I reckon they'd be good for another 2.5k miles as the wear seems to stabilise after the initial period.

I've found your reported wear rate to be exceptionally fast and I'm sure you'd have a hard time finding any other similar reports on the net saying the same as the TA2's have been lauded for their grip and longevity. :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
I changed the oe Craplops from 0 miles and did about 4.5k miles on the TA2's before I bought my Alpina wheels, so I just had a new set fitted to those instead of swapping tyres over.

Just for you, I brought the front wheel down from the roof space and measured the tread depth. 0:) From experience with the same make of tyres on my 1190 Adv, I reckon they'd be good for another 2.5k miles as the wear seems to stabilise after the initial period.

I've found your reported wear rate to be exceptionally fast and I'm sure you'd have a hard time finding any other similar reports on the net saying the same as the TA2's have been lauded for their grip and longevity. :confused:

I'm also quite baffled because on all my roadsters, that were even more powerfull than the AT, I would not wear the fronts much and the rears would last further than 14'000Km, so that's quite weird !
But so far after 1500Km the front is at 4mm and the back between 7.5- 7.3mm, the police here requires at least 2mm of thread so I should theorethically do 3K more and it would be at 2mm if wear continues like this.

Could it be that I rode too Under inflated around 1.8bar and the wear would be so much higher !? Because that was the pressure last I checkeds and bumped back to 2.0bar.

Ohh and thanks for doing this only for me :eek:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yes, riding under-inflated will do that sort of damage.
**** but that's the pressure given by Honda for the front 2.0, so that's what it was 1500Km ago, maybe I should check more often than with my tubeless bikes !

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rode to Baja Mexico from Toronto Canada approx 14,000km round trip. Loved everything about the bike as a touring companion except the fuel range. At high speed highway cruise less than 300km to a tank so stopping at
least three times a day for fuel was annoying.
From the cold in Canada to the heat of Mexico.

Hi, Anyone did road touring on the new Africa Twin?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm taking my AT to Baja and beyond going to ride to the tip of Argentina this coming October the AT I think is the perfect bike for this trip ??

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have done a number of long weekend trips around the Southern Africa area. This will be a combination of tar and dirt roads. My tyre choice were the Mitas E07's. I have about 7000km on them now and there is quite a bit of tread left. The bike is generally loaded and tyre pressure is important. I run 2.3 and 2.6 bar on the tar and 1.6 and 1.8 bar on dirt. The only negative I have on this bike is the fuel range. I read about some people who get 400km on a tank, but I have to find a filling station by 350km. If I ride hard I am lucky to get 300km. If you do the fuel consumption calcs it's actually not bad, the tank is just too small..

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have done a number of long weekend trips around the Southern Africa area. This will be a combination of tar and dirt roads. My tyre choice were the Mitas E07's. I have about 7000km on them now and there is quite a bit of tread left. The bike is generally loaded and tyre pressure is important. I run 2.3 and 2.6 bar on the tar and 1.6 and 1.8 bar on dirt. The only negative I have on this bike is the fuel range. I read about some people who get 400km on a tank, but I have to find a filling station by 350km. If I ride hard I am lucky to get 300km. If you do the fuel consumption calcs it's actually not bad, the tank is just too small..
I do 450 Km when staying in high gear and never switch back on 1st, because it sucks a shitload of gasoline, also it seems to me you should wait for minimum 3 heat bars on the meter, before giving a lot of throttle.

I'm not sure i'd want more fuel though, look at the Multistarda Enduro specs, 20 more Kg for 10 liters and gasoline is 0.75 Kg per liter, so where the **** those 12.5Kg go, seems a lots for a bit of tank. Of course I expect to travel countries where gas stations aren't too far from one another, that my extra fuel bladder 0f 20L shouldn't be full but it weighs 1Kg so even full, it would be about 16 Kg which isn't bad !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts