Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

· Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Well,
I'm hoping my buddy doesn't mind me posting a pic of his present setup. While not an A/T, he does tow this rig quite often and the world hasn't ended. It's a Yamaha TW 200 which, I have one of them too. They're great little tractor bikes. They ain't gonna get you there near as fast as a Twin but, they'll get you there.
Scott

Attachments

Reactions: DoubleThumper

· Administrator
11,171 Posts
Well,
I'm hoping my buddy doesn't mind me posting a pic of his present setup. While not an A/T, he does tow this rig quite often and the world hasn't ended. It's a Yamaha TW 200 which, I have one of them too. They're great little tractor bikes. They ain't gonna get you there near as fast as a Twin but, they'll get you there.
Scott
Hey, ya - that is pretty cool.

Can the TW200 as is, with or without the trailer do snow too?

· Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Hey, ya - that is pretty cool.

Can the TW200 as is, with or without the trailer do snow too?
Ya know, I haven't talked with the owner of that rig for a while so, I can't answer that. It certainly looks like it basically could traverse through ANYTHING, in my opinion. The TW is a fairly under powered bike, at least in my opinion since, I've owned THREE of them. But, as stated earlier, they are a TRACTOR bike. I've had my present one, in some seriously ugly situations that were fairly torturous to that little machine. But, it got me through, just like it's done many, many times. I would absolutely NEVER have taken nor ever WILL take the A/T in those kind of situations.
Scott

· Registered
414 Posts
I pull a Kip Moto single wheel trailer that I transferred from my KLR to my AT. The trailer weights 30lbs empty and at most 100 lbs loaded. The weight sits at the axle (so nothing top heavy) and the single wheel tracks right behind my rear wheel. It is great for Camping -

View attachment 55640

Just ordered one of these for my AT, talked with Joel and he said the same hitch that fits the AT will fit my CBR 1000rr and that he'll include to correct bushings for my CBR.

If I really like it, I might buy the hitch for my CRF 230l, if they're not terribly expensive and would also be the correct width for my 250x.

· Administrator
11,171 Posts
Just ordered one of these for my AT, talked with Joel and he said the same hitch that fits the AT will fit my CBR 1000rr and that he'll include to correct bushings for my CBR.

If I really like it, I might buy the hitch for my CRF 230l, if they're not terribly expensive and would also be the correct width for my 250x.
Wooo-hooo! That is cool. (y)

The Forum will be expecting videos of you on your AT pulling Kip Moto in mid-air. Give us an indication that is actually you under the lid. :p

BTW: Does the Kip Moto require any "trailer" licensing in certain jurisdictions?

· Registered
414 Posts
It won't in Kansas, or surrounding states, not sure about either left coast, but I don't go there anyways.

And I hope there's no air involved, if there is, I'd suspect that I'd be having a problem, but their videos looked cool😁

· Administrator
11,171 Posts
Totally would like to see that in live, daily action. (already seen the off road flicks)

Maybe a camera facing backwards from the pillion, and maybe a camera mounted on the trailer.

· Registered
414 Posts
Took it for a little spin empty, had no idea it was there. I'll put my Garmin virb facing it sometime and video it riding to work.

Guess that means I'll have to figure out how to post it to YouTube if possible.

· Registered
414 Posts

Pictured with the fender installed. Some items of note. The swingarm didn't fit in between the mounting points under the basket. I called kip moto to inquire, they said it's normal and to insert it at an angle and twist in place. That worked great.

I ordered it for my AT, when I specified the AT the price went from 995 to 1095(or there about a). I'd called to get the low down on the trailer before ordering and was told the increase was due to a new axle bolt being included.

If you look at the AT axle, the head end ID is larger than the threaded end. What I received appeared to be an OEM Honda axle bolt with the small end drilled out ever so slightly. I'd be surprised it it was drilled out more than a 1/16th inch larger.

With that knowledge, and I believe they mention it on their website, a person could order the base trailer and let them know what it's for so you'd get the right size hoop hitch and bushings and drill your existing axle yourself if you chose to do so, saving some money.

I pulled it home empty, about 7 miles paved, a mile loose gravel. Never felt the trailer once. Was up to 70mph briefly.

I didn't opt for the DOT street tire. When I initially called, they informed me the wheel tire combo they were currently getting had DOT tires on them, and it does. Their upgrade price is 70. They told me obviously I could buy my own tire cheaper. They charge what they charge as they have to remove the nobby tire and install the street tire.

They no longer include a mud flap for the hoop hitch. Said they weren't lasting very long and people were coming up with their own heavier guards.

I already had two of the Rubbermaid totes that these are designed to hold and it fits perfect! Nice and snug.

· Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
4,419 Posts
I’m looking forward to a sidecar...

· Registered
414 Posts
Totally would like to see that in live, daily action. (already seen the off road flicks)

Maybe a camera facing backwards from the pillion, and maybe a camera mounted on the trailer.
Used my virb to video trailer on way to work, speeds up to 75mph, gravel, railroad tracks. Really surprised there was no visible bouncing over the tracks and the rest of it was uneventful.

I'm wonder if there's a camera I could connect toy phone stream video of the trailer. I think it'd be nice to have a monitor on it cause unless you tilt a mirror to it, you can't see it and I never feel it. Thought my phone mounted behind windscreen with trailer video ability would be nice.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts