Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am towing my AT from London to Scotland next week.

I will have two bikes (AT and street triple) on a woodford 3 bike trailer.

this is the first time putting one of my bikes on a trailer. any general advise would be useful.

what points have those who have trailered their bike attached the ratchet straps to on the AT?

many thanks

Freddie

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am towing my AT from London to Scotland next week.

I will have two bikes (AT and street triple) on a woodford 3 bike trailer.

this is the first time putting one of my bikes on a trailer. any general advise would be useful.

what points have those who have trailered their bike attached the ratchet straps to on the AT?

many thanks

Freddie
Good read - http://www.blackandgray.com/motorcycle-transport-tips.html

Things I learned over the years:

1) Tie down as close to the center as possible but not any farther in than the outside fairings and use soft straps around bars, frames.
2) Compress the front forks to prevent hopping during rough road conditions
3) When possible, use a front wheel chock (not always possible)
4) Use the rear foot pegs as your rear tie down points, if not possible go for the rear sub frame (just don't tighten down too much).
5) Tie your straps off. Don't ever rely on the ratchet or tension lever to keep the strap in place.
6) Check your attachment points, check them again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good read - http://www.blackandgray.com/motorcycle-transport-tips.html

Things I learned over the years:

1) Tie down as close to the center as possible but not any farther in than the outside fairings and use soft straps around bars, frames.
2) Compress the front forks to prevent hopping during rough road conditions
3) When possible, use a front wheel chock (not always possible)
4) Use the rear foot pegs as your rear tie down points, if not possible go for the rear sub frame (just don't tighten down too much).
5) Tie your straps off. Don't ever rely on the ratchet or tension lever to keep the strap in place.
6) Check your attachment points, check them again.

Thanks solcaladam.

Why would you tie down closer to the centre? Surely the further away from the bike you tie down on to the trailer the less likely it will be to fall.

Link is very helpful.

Freddie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks solcaladam.

Why would you tie down closer to the centre? Surely the further away from the bike you tie down on to the trailer the less likely it will be to fall.

Link is very helpful.

Freddie

Leverage. Fulcrum points can cause undue stress on the handle bars.

Best to keep the straps closer to the center where the bulk of the material is.

Like this:

·
Registered
230 Posts
When I trailered mine the only place I could strap to that wouldn't rub the fairings was the very end of the handlebars. Not ideal but it made the 1200km trip though the mountains mostly unscathed. I'd look into attaching at the lower triple clamp if I ever trailered it again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leverage. Fulcrum points can cause undue stress on the handle bars.

Best to keep the straps closer to the center where the bulk of the material is.

Like this:

Thank you for your help and I'm sorry for all the questions. Just slightly nervous.

I am attaching a picture of the trailer I am using. There doesn't seem to be any strapping point on the out side of the two outside bikes. Will straps almost vertically down be sufficient on one side to the edge of the trailer. And then out to the middle on the inside side.

Hope that makes sense!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thank you for your help and I'm sorry for all the questions. Just slightly nervous.

I am attaching a picture of the trailer I am using. There doesn't seem to be any strapping point on the out side of the two outside bikes. Will straps almost vertically down be sufficient on one side to the edge of the trailer. And then out to the middle on the inside side.

Hope that makes sense!

You'll have to play with the strapping. Try not to be fully vertical unless that's all you have. even a 15 or 30 degree angle is sufficient.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That trailer (via Goggle pics) looks to have holes in the wheel rails so you can still tie the bikes rear wheels down.
Looking in the rear vision mirror every 30 seconds will soon get lame.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts