Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I finished a 3000km BC loop on my '20 ATAS standard with a friend on his '18 AT standard. We completed 4 wilderness routes along the way for a total of 700km of very mixed surface gravel roads. From absolute mud pits, wet skick thin mud (120km worth), slippy gravel, rocky terrain, 100km aggregate. We had all the weather, from 36°c, to 2°, snow, hail, torrential rain, drizzle you name it. The bike was absolutely hands down an absolute beast. Well equipped for sport biking incredibly twisty mountain tarmac, thumping up slick, forest road grades, cruising along enjoying the scenery, and being a menace in traffic. Well done Honda.

BUT! And I am so sad to say this. The traction control is not actually off when off (0). On slippery uphill climbs it was still activating (by feel and T light flashing next to the crossed out T). It was very light and nothing like when on in terms of causing big momentum loss. Hoping a software update can solve it at some point.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice pics. 👏

Any chance you cycled the power after setting TC off and before that hill climb?
That is another thing I'd love to see changed! Someone over at Advrider thinks it may be the wheelie control, which makes sense. Just need an opportunity to test it out.

·
Registered
178 Posts
So off road, hill climb, max power set up:

WC-off (MOM p136),
TC-off (MOM p129),
ABS-off (MOM p118),
Gravel-on (MOM p122),
Preload-to flavor (MOM p291, ES)
Power-to flavor
M/D/S-to flavor (if DCT)

Lots to learn....

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,124 Posts
I would agree with you on the wheelie control. The bike was probably just at the right angle for it to kick on..

Reactions: Ponzan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the same issue today. Steep gravel rocky track with hairpins. TC off. Off-road mode. 2020 ATAS DCT.
the TC “off” light was on but the traction light flashed when rear wheel spun. Killed power totally on very steep section. I was stuck. Happened 5 times. Riding buddy helped me turn around so I could ride back down. Reread manual.....no help.
so.......when TC of off but wheelie is on and you are on a steep hill, the wheelie control senses the front wheel is higher than rear, thinks you’re pulling a wheelie and kills power via the TC and the light flashes. So turn both TC and Wheelie control completely off. Traction light doesn’t flash, you have power and all is good.

·
Super Moderator
6,767 Posts
Had the same issue today. Steep gravel rocky track with hairpins. TC off. Off-road mode. 2020 ATAS DCT.
the TC “off” light was on but the traction light flashed when rear wheel spun. Killed power totally on very steep section. I was stuck. Happened 5 times. Riding buddy helped me turn around so I could ride back down. Reread manual.....no help.
so.......when TC of off but wheelie is on and you are on a steep hill, the wheelie control senses the front wheel is higher than rear, thinks you’re pulling a wheelie and kills power via the TC and the light flashes. So turn both TC and Wheelie control completely off. Traction light doesn’t flash, you have power and all is good.
Interesting find @Cooper In Whistler, and welcome to the Forum!

Send pics of that assent. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
That’s what I thought. But no amount of wrist control can override the wheelie/TC intervention on extreme steep rocky ascents. Even with the TC turned off, if you leave wheelie on, even level 1 then when ascending aforesaid steep rocky trails the inertia sensors think the bike is wheelieing and TC kicks in killing power. If you give it full throttle then it may overcome TC but that creates a potentially risky situation too.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That’s what I thought. But no amount of wrist control can override the wheelie/TC intervention on extreme steep rocky ascents. Even with the TC turned off, if you leave wheelie on, even level 1 then when ascending aforesaid steep rocky trails the inertia sensors think the bike is wheelieing and TC kicks in killing power. If you give it full throttle then it may overcome TC but that creates a potentially risky situation too.
You can't overcome with more power, I've tried. The only way to deal with it if you have forgotten to turn both off if to use the clutch in 1st gear to counteract the TC. Everytime you feel it engage, feather the clutch until it starts spinning again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mines a DCT. So a little more complicated. Anyway with TC and Wheelie off it’s amazing. I’ve had a 2016, 2018 and now the 2020. I also have a CRF 450L. Had to put. Power commander on that to smooth out the low end and eliminate easy stalling. Stock runs so lean to meet emissions here in Canada, everywhere I guess.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mines a DCT. So a little more complicated. Anyway with TC and Wheelie off it’s amazing. I’ve had a 2016, 2018 and now the 2020. I also have a CRF 450L. Had to put. Power commander on that to smooth out the low end and eliminate easy stalling. Stock runs so lean to meet emissions here in Canada, everywhere I guess.
Ahh. Have never ridden a DCT, so zero reference for it.

I'm assuming you are from Whistler? Took mine up the Squamish as far as the backside of Callaghan yesterday. Some great playgrounds for this thing back there.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Buy a 2017. TC off = off
Dealer asked me last week if I'd tried the 1100
No. More electronic stuff than required IMHO. 2107 has 3 modes of TC and 1 mode of ABS. They all work well.
Dealer said everyone wants the electronic options though very few have any idea what they do or how to use them.
Nuff said!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Buy a 2017. TC off = off
Dealer asked me last week if I'd tried the 1100
No. More electronic stuff than required IMHO. 2107 has 3 modes of TC and 1 mode of ABC. They all work well.
Dealer said everyone wants the electronic options though very few have any idea what they do or how to use them.
Nuff said!
Buy a 2020. TC and WC off = TC and WC off. Don't confuse people learning a new system with the quality of that system.

·
Registered
2020 Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES DCT
1 Posts
Thanks Cooper, I had the same problem, can't wait to try this out!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did they ever make a fix so that you can turn bike off and have it save the settings?

Also can you just make a user mode that has Traction control off and turn bike off on that mode to save it?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Did they ever make a fix so that you can turn bike off and have it save the settings?

Also can you just make a user mode that has Traction control off and turn bike off on that mode to save it?
The user mode on the 2018/2019 will do that. Once you set the parameters the settings stay until you change them even after restarts. I believe the newer ones will as well. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I really put this to the test this weekend while riding in the NJ's Pine Barrens. Lots of sand and sandy mud. Watching some gopro clips today I see that even with TC set to 0 and the crossed out TC control light on, the TC was still engaging when I was coming through sandy ruts or deep mud. Which is awful, exactly what I don't, the rear tire digging down into the stuff. Also may explain why I was totally fine and never came close to dropping except in the most technically muddy and sandy parts at speed. I wasn't in any shape to find this thread again and realize I should kill the wheelie control. Next time I'm down there I will do and record video.

On my 2021 ATAS DCT every time the ignition goes on and off (which means after a dump) I have to manually select rear ABS off (and then confirm it) and hold to turn TC to 0. It's really, really frustrating. Especially because the bike is so GODDAMNED FUN to powerslide and break traction on the rear wheel. Another rider in our group had an older ATAS with the big ass ABS off button, so jealous of it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts