Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just returned from a few days riding in Scotland. Rider only, loaded panniers. Yesterday was riding on wet bumpy roads and it felt like the bike was lacking power when accelerating. Could it be that the traction control was reducing power due to wheel spin on the bumpy wet road in a straight line. I don't know what it feels like when TC kicks in , if you feel anything at all ?
The bike was set up with max engine power and max TC (setting 6)

·
Registered
61 Posts
As far as I know, the TC on 2016/17 Africa Twins is strictly based on ABS sensors, e.g. wheel spin or difference between front and rear. It doesn't limit the the actual max engine power.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My understanding is that traction control and torque control are the same thing and it detects that the back wheel is spinning faster than the front, ie losing traction. It may well use the ABS sensor to do this . Depending on how much TC is selected by the rider (0-7)the engine output will be reduced earlier or later when slip is detected. I just don't know how it feels when the TC is operating, I presume it feels like the power has dropped off ?

·
Registered
257 Posts
On gravel with a heap of throttle while using TC3 it feels like the bike has only 100cc, I usually switch to TC2 so I have reduced rear wheel slip - but at least reasonable power. This is on my 2017 AT.

For those that don't know what it feels like - you guys need to get out on some gravel roads and open the throttle in different modes to see how it feels.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've had the TC cut in a few times on bitumen, feels like the bike has suddenly started misfiring and once the electronics have done their thing, it takes off again. It doesn't seem to take much to have it activate, white lines and metal manhole covers have set it off. I used to think that it was cutting in prematurely however the roads in South Australia are so bad it feels like off road riding at times so maybe its doing what it should!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I've had the TC cut in a few times on bitumen, feels like the bike has suddenly started misfiring and once the electronics have done their thing, it takes off again. It doesn't seem to take much to have it activate, white lines and metal manhole covers have set it off. I used to think that it was cutting in prematurely however the roads in South Australia are so bad it feels like off road riding at times so maybe its doing what it should!
That's useful info Sundodger. I think I can safely say that I drive like a wuss, as I just leave the TC in default mode and in 19k miles have never felt or seen what you describe.
Mike

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think I can safely say that I drive like a wuss, as I just leave the TC in default mode and in 19k miles have never felt or seen what you describe.
Mike
Try twisting the right hand grip?

In learning my bike and getting a feel for how the traction control works, I have ridden on gravel where I felt the TC do its thing on every corner exit - lots of fun!!!

For some reason I don't tend to get overly great fuel economy . . .

·
Registered
28 Posts
On a 2018 the TC absolutely limits engine power. I have done a good bit of testing on my ATAS DCT. If I get on a dirt road, with the TC set on 6 and just crack the throttle wide open, the rear wheel will spin for a millisecond but then the bike just moves along at a very low pace until traction is gained.
On the tarmac, if I crack it wide open at 6 the bike will take off, but as soon as the front wheel starts to come off the ground, it throttles back pretty aggressively to keep the front wheel on the ground.

Not sure how this will work on pre 2018 bikes though without throttle by wire.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I feel like an idiot
I started this thread by saying that my ATAS was losing power and I wondered if it was traction control kicking in. Well I think I have found the culprit, it wasn't traction control.

From new I fitted soft grip puppies to the grips. I do this on all my bikes as I have large hands and the OEM grips were a bit small. Makes for a softer grip as well and dampens what few vibes there are.

The grip puppies were a little too big on the internal diameter so I added a bit of glue to stop them spinning. Cleaning the bike today I noticed that the throttle grip had bunched up and slid away from the bar end. I slid it back then realised that when the throttle was opened the grip puppy was spinning on the twistgrip. No wonder the bike felt it was losing power.

You are never too old to learn

·
Registered
33 Posts
On a 2018 the TC absolutely limits engine power. I have done a good bit of testing on my ATAS DCT. If I get on a dirt road, with the TC set on 6 and just crack the throttle wide open, the rear wheel will spin for a millisecond but then the bike just moves along at a very low pace until traction is gained.
On the tarmac, if I crack it wide open at 6 the bike will take off, but as soon as the front wheel starts to come off the ground, it throttles back pretty aggressively to keep the front wheel on the ground.

Not sure how this will work on pre 2018 bikes though without throttle by wire.
I have a DCT 2018 model AT and I am a very tentative off road rider. Is it safe to say that the rougher and more uneven the road the higher the number you put in for TC or is that the other way around?

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
The "Gravel" mode has torque control (TC) set to the same level (6) as modes "Urban" and "Tour". This means Honda will try its best to control rear wheel spin if it "feels" traction is being compromised.

If a rider desires more rear wheel spin during off-road conditions, then the TC setting can be adjusted down (smaller than "6"). I suspect rear wheel spin is more desirable for certain aggressive opportunities off-road.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well I feel like an idiot
I started this thread by saying that my ATAS was losing power and I wondered if it was traction control kicking in. Well I think I have found the culprit, it wasn't traction control.

From new I fitted soft grip puppies to the grips. I do this on all my bikes as I have large hands and the OEM grips were a bit small. Makes for a softer grip as well and dampens what few vibes there are.

The grip puppies were a little too big on the internal diameter so I added a bit of glue to stop them spinning. Cleaning the bike today I noticed that the throttle grip had bunched up and slid away from the bar end. I slid it back then realised that when the throttle was opened the grip puppy was spinning on the twistgrip. No wonder the bike felt it was losing power.

You are never too old to learn
I used to use Grip Puppies as well. I have found these Grip Buddies to be superior to Grip Puppies in every way and they will not slip and are easy to install. See Link: https://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/home.html

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts