Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well It wasnt amazing anywhere but it also wasnt bad anywhere it held predictably on the road and it held well in the dirt it worked acceptably on gravel but not amazing. BUT it is a Tough Tyre. I got a Pinch flat after hitting a Sharp Rock with low tyre pressures at around 60mph and rode approximately 40mi on it to get home and both the tyre and the rim were in perfect condition after i got home even the tube will still be patchable but useable. worn out now after almost 8000km mostly run at lower pressures often sub 20psi overall a good experience but Ive ordered a set of Shinko 804/805s so we will see how they compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
359 Posts
well It wasnt amazing anywhere but it also wasnt bad anywhere it held predictably on the road and it held well in the dirt it worked acceptably on gravel but not amazing. BUT it is a Tough Tyre. I got a Pinch flat after hitting a Sharp Rock with low tyre pressures at around 60mph and rode approximately 40mi on it to get home and both the tyre and the rim were in perfect condition after i got home even the tube will still be patchable but useable. worn out now after almost 8000km mostly run at lower pressures often sub 20psi overall a good experience but Ive ordered a set of Shinko 804/805s so we will see how they compare.

If you spin them around at half distance it cleans up that strange wear patern you have on the tire and gives it more life.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you spin them around at half distance it cleans up that strange wear patern you have on the tire and gives it more life.

theyre directional tyres.

·
Registered
860 Posts
How do you like the Shinkos? I've had them on for about 5,000 kilometres and they're still going strong. I was really surprised at how versatile they are. I think they'll go about 9-10,000 km before they are done.

The Motoz seem like a really good compromise between road and offroad riding. Price in Canada would push me towards other brands though - Michelin Anakee Wild, Metzeler Karoo, Mitas (E07, E09, E12 Rally Star), and Shinkos are all quite a bit cheaper here.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am a big fan of the tractionator rear, not so much the front. It does its job and all that, but it started to cup quicker than I expected and it will hit you up with a bit of a weave around 130kph if you cross lanes or white lines while on the throttle. OK, I dialled that out by cranking the steering damper right up at highway speeds, and I got rid of the cupping by turning the tyre round for a while and then trimming the knobs back a bit on the leading edge, but being a lazy bastad I'd rather set and forget. On the plus side, it is bloody tough. My poor rims are all scratched up and dinged by riding through sandstone rocks but the tractionators have come through unscathed: I've not had a puncture or pinch flat at all. They hook up pretty good too. Nevertheless, I am going to try a TKC80 or Scorpion Rallye next, and see how they work with a tractionator adventure on the rear.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you like the Shinkos? I've had them on for about 5,000 kilometres and they're still going strong. I was really surprised at how versatile they are. I think they'll go about 9-10,000 km before they are done.

The Motoz seem like a really good compromise between road and offroad riding. Price in Canada would push me towards other brands though - Michelin Anakee Wild, Metzeler Karoo, Mitas (E07, E09, E12 Rally Star), and Shinkos are all quite a bit cheaper here.

have only the shinko front for now still wearing out the tractionator desert rear. it hangs on well so far in gravel and dirt not perhaps as well as the tractionator in dirt but maybe as well or slightly better on gravel. will get the rear fitted up in the bext couple weeks.

Reactions: superfunkomatic

·
Registered
114 Posts
The cupping pattern on a front tire is often because of low tire pressure but there is a video of a rider who calls Motoz and tells them of the problem with the Tractionator front wheel. Seems it is not so rare and they were aware of similar complaints about the front tire. The reason being there are some tires out there using a different tread compound. In the vlogger's case he did not ask for any compensation or replacement because he said they continued to work well enough and lasted long enough.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so far the shinkos have been good. gravel roads is basically all they have done so far but i am happy with them at the moment. i have had them up to 180kph on gravel and they are rock solid. they slide predictably but not excessively and regain traction gently when throttle is eased off. they hook up in a straight line on the dirt and seem to hold well enough side to side as well that is to say i have yet to experience lateral traction issues some have when using this tyre.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have been quite pleased with the Shinko 705's. Great on the tarmac and all dirt except for mud and snow, which I flee from whenever possible. I tried the 804's but found then lacking on the road and they did not wear as well as the 705's. The best part is the prices are very reasonable and I do not cringe at tossing a half worn tire for new, sharp rubber.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm back to running a TKC80 on the front. Still have the tractionator on the rear. They seem to work well together - no weaving on the highway and hook up good on the dirt. The TKC80 front is nowhere near as robust as the tractionator front though, but I'm happy to stick with this combo for now, because I do like the tractionator rear. However, I am going to give the Anakee Wilds a go next change. I can always go back to what I am running now if the Anakees don't suit.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The cupping pattern on a front tire is often because of low tire pressure but there is a video of a rider who calls Motoz and tells them of the problem with the Tractionator front wheel. Seems it is not so rare and they were aware of similar complaints about the front tire. The reason being there are some tires out there using a different tread compound. In the vlogger's case he did not ask for any compensation or replacement because he said they continued to work well enough and lasted long enough.
Show me a knobby tyre that doesnt cup, every knobby tyre does it, the bigger the knobs the heaver the cupping

1 - 13 of 13 Posts