Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I am currently experiencing a knock/clunk from the transmission area.
My thoughts are a tight link on the chain but I can’t spot one.
The noise occurs at low speeds under load. I may keep on at higher speeds but is drown out by road and engine noise.
The clunk is not in time with engine revs nor with wheel rotation which made me look at the chain.
It doesn’t happen on the centre stand.
It’s a 2017 manual bike with 22500 miles on the clock and original well-oiled (hic) chain and sprockets.
Could it just be time for renewal (even though they look in good condition), or can anyone suggest another possible cause please?
Additionally the warranty is about to run out.:frown2:

·
Registered
130 Posts
At 22500 miles even if the chain and sprockets still look good they will be close to the end of their life.
I suggest replacing them now as a way of eliminating the chain as a source of the noise.

·
Registered
133 Posts
At 22,500 miles on the original chain you've answered your own question, "O" ring chains tend to bunch when a link or two dries out.
Also put the bike on the stand and put in first gear and rock the wheel back and forth to check for excessive wear in the cush drive rubbers, some will go 50,000 and some will go 15,000 miles depending on your luck with the batch fitted to your bike. Quality control ain't what it once was.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you can pull chain back from rear sprocket and see daylight twixt inside of chain and sprocket, then time to change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know if this is of any help, but years ago I had a TDM 900, it started making a clunking sound similar to what you've described .. The chain and rear sprocket looked fine to me .. I removed the front sprocket cover and the front sprocket was very badly worn .. I replaced all sprockets and chain and it fixed it .. I was surprised at the time as I'd never seen the front sprocket worn so much faster than the rear .. it may have been a previous owner had fitted a cheap front sprocket or something, who knows .. but they are both parallel twins and it was the first parallel I had owned so maybe there is a connection .. So it might be worth checking the front sprocket and see how that looks ..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know if this is of any help, but years ago I had a TDM 900, it started making a clunking sound similar to what you've described .. The chain and rear sprocket looked fine to me .. I removed the front sprocket cover and the front sprocket was very badly worn .. I replaced all sprockets and chain and it fixed it .. I was surprised at the time as I'd never seen the front sprocket worn so much faster than the rear .. it may have been a previous owner had fitted a cheap front sprocket or something, who knows .. but they are both parallel twins and it was the first parallel I had owned so maybe there is a connection .. So it might be worth checking the front sprocket and see how that looks ..
Since starting the post, and being advised about the chain and sprocket wear, I gave the front sprocket a closer inspection.
It does indeed show signs of wear and I am a little concerned about the amount of play in the rubber mounting.
Consequently I have invested £13 in a new sprocket which should arrive tomorrow.
If it cures or improves the problem I will continue with the setup until the next service and change both sprockets and the chain though.

It does seem like It was the obvious thing to do but as my warranty was about to run out I was just checking if it was a more involved fault which would need claiming for. I think Mr Honda would draw the line at a worn chain.

Thanks for your responses folks I'll let you know how I get on if the sprocket appears in the morning.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Before I adjusted the chain I was getting a "swooshing" sound at the same rhythm like the the chain was intermittently rubbing the rubber guides.
I've seen chains catch and make little clunks from the front sprocket when they were too tight. May have been worn out, but not mine so I don't know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I fitted the new front sprocket that arrived today.
A short test ride proved the noise was cured.
So, as stated somewhere in another post, the front sprocket wears much faster than the rear.
Which also means my chain is wearing so I will change the chain and both sprockets at the next service. (Buying a full kit appears cheaper than just getting a chain and rear to suit my £13.45 front one).
Additionally I notice how quiet the chain was as I pushed the bike in and out of the garage.
I assume the “rumble” came on very gradually so I got used to hearing it. However it’s very noticeable when it suddenly disappears.
Once again thanks for the advice, and please forgive my naivety about chain problems as for the last 18yrs I’ve been riding an 1150 GS

·
Registered
178 Posts
My dealership advised me to change my chain at 20k miles..... According to the guide on the sway bar my chain was pretty stretched. I am pretty abusive to my twin admittedly, so maybe your chain is in better shape than mine. Hard telling without seeing it, but thats where I would start. Sprocket/Chain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts