Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At dealers yesterday I noted in their demo bike side bags a spare tube but also a small bottle of a product called "Ride-On Tire Protection System, Tire Balancer and Sealant". The instructions say it is suitable for both tubed and tubeless tires. Was not aware of this before, but am wondering if anyone has ever used it. My interest is more as a sealant that would eliminate, or at least delay puncture related air loss, but am sure the balancing would be beneficial as well.
Any users of this out there that can comment?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've wondered about this as well. A fellow rider recommended a product called "amerseal", but I'm not sure I want to mess around with goopy stuff without knowing definitively if it's worth it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have Ride-on in my rear tyre and Bike Seal in the front.Bike Seal claims to seal holes up to 15mm and is half the price of Ride-on.So far so good.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have put OKA in mine. 200ml in the front and 300ml in the rear. Balanced nicely without a hitch. It is not recommended for use with valve cap type TPS but I ran it for about 15 miles without caps to balance it out and spread it nicely around the tube. I then adjusted the pressures with my bicycle pump and checked and there was only a tiny trace of the sealant so put the TPS back on. All good so far and no issues with the Garmin TPS.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've used Ride-On for a few years on my tubeless tires. Works great, though a little expensive compared to other sealants. However, I don't use it for a tubed setup. It's not nearly as effective at sealing a puncture in a tube vs a tubeless tire. They even say so on their website. Plus, if the tube ruptures and spills the ride-on into the tire carcass, you've then got to clean that up.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The OKA sealant splashes I made here and there easily rinsed off with a bit of water. I am willing to give it a try as I will be running normal pressures on the road.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I always slime my tubed tires. Sometimes when changing a tire I find a green dot on the tube indicating a sealed puncture.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've used Ride-On in tubeless tires. Don't know if I'd use it in tubes. Maybe in the narrow front tire.

The balancing seems to work OK in the rear of my R1200R where I might not know the difference either way.

It forms a narrow band in the middle of the tread and the puncture repair is limited to that region. In the narrow front tire that might be good enough.

It's much different from Slime (which I've used in bicycle tubes), Fix-a-Flat, and so on.

Slime will seal small punctures anywhere. But when it gets old (2 years?) and stops sealing, it makes tubes very difficult to patch, since the slime prevents the patch glue from sticking. And I've read it doesn't work in the larger punctures we get from screws etc. It's great with thorns.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts