Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read all the posts on the tubless conversion route be it OUTEX or Alpina and everything in between... I would like to try the OUTEX route but dont trust myself to do it for myelf. I am Kent UK based does anyone have an idea as to where i could get this done .. mnay thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have read all the posts on the tubless conversion route be it OUTEX or Alpina and everything in between... I would like to try the OUTEX route but dont trust myself to do it for myelf. I am Kent UK based does anyone have an idea as to where i could get this done .. mnay thanks
Just try your normal Honda dealership if he's any good? I used to go to the Honda Kent Motorcycles on Dover road when I lived in Canterbury. Was always happy with their work on my Varadero.
But if you have the kit to take the wheels off the rims etc I would try to do it yourself, take your time and follow the steps. Taking a whole day to do it will likely make a better job than a mechanic rushing to finish in 2 hours.

I'm planning to go the 3M route with some mods and I'm going to leave myself a whole weekend to do it and make sure everything cures well before re-installing. Just need to get some tire irons and other kit first...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm amazed the dealer is willing to do the Outex kit for you in their shop. I figured liability would have them running for the hills.

I agree with VT. If you are semi equipped to do your own tires, the OUTEX, or 3M is not a stretch to do yourself.
If you are not, then farm it out.

I've covered all of it in my blog. Take your time. Cleaning prep is key! Warmth and a dry environment is important as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree with Greg....it is all down to the prep. I was lucky because I had new rims courtesy of warranty. Also I would set some sort of balancing wheel to rotate the wheel. Plenty of you tube footage out there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well I did it, 3M, and I failed. Or did I? Are the rims different for tube vs tubeless tires? I took mine to the local Honda shop to mount my (not very) old tires back on. They refused, then pushed me (30% off) over the edge to a set of Shinko 805s. Way better than stock. When I picked them up they had tubes. Said they leaked around the edges but I don’t think he checked the spokes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts