Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just replace for tubeless in our Africa Twin 2017 brand new !!! and it was simple , and awesome now to go out enduro style and adventure trip with tubeless , also we put Metzeler Karoo3 50/50.
You can follow IN Youtube KMX STORE TV and you can check some information about the Tubeless.
We are located in Santiago de Chile.
Regards to all

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Isn't there an issue with the edge of the rim being able to safely hold the bead of the tubeless tire? I think there were some other posts on this subject awhile back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Isn't there an issue with the edge of the rim being able to safely hold the bead of the tubeless tire? I think there were some other posts on this subject awhile back.
a potential issue, yes. what the exact probability (i think lower than higher) is i don't know. there is some science suggesting that due to centrifugal force and the like that a tubed rim can still hold a tubeless tire in place when a "flat" occurs. lots of variables of course, but that's what i've read, i think on the Outex site.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had flats on bikes from 1970 until now. Tubed or tubeless feels the same to me when it goes flat there appears to be no difference in speed of deflation it all depends on how big the hole is. Tube tyres did used to roll off the rims and give some exciting rides especially at speed where you had to bleed off speed quite gently to keep control. So far all my tubeless flats have been at relatively low speed but still resulted in exciting moments as all the punctures were just before corners.
I think any sudden flat is going to cause concern, the slow ones you should notice before it gets critical.
Ether way I'll try the tubeless conversion and see how it goes I have the kit just waiting until I wear out these horrible Dunlops.
Hopefully I can get Pirelli scorpion 2's. I ran Scorpions on my Ducati and they were amazing on the road, not much cop on the dirt though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
(agree on the Scorpion Trail 2....amazing big bike road tire)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can I air down the from rim ATAS 2018 with a tubeless conversion, the front one doesn't have the ridge on the rim like the back one does. Going to a off road course and they want us to air down.
thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,419 Posts
Can I air down the from rim ATAS 2018 with a tubeless conversion, the front one doesn't have the ridge on the rim like the back one does. Going to a off road course and they want us to air down.
thanks
Somebody mentioned somewhere in the Forum to not deflate pressure to less than 20 lbs (??) for tubeless wheels when going off road.

Can a Forum off-roader substantiate that info?

·
Registered
415 Posts
thanks
I run tubless (Outex) quite often at 22PSI (Outex say not to go below 20PSI as DT says above). The problem is not the tire coming off the rim for me its the beating the front rim gets, when you get big hits at speed the tire is OK (with a tube it would be a pinch flat) and it still holds air fine its just the rim gets very badly beaten up. If you are on sand only I would go lower but if there is any chance of something hard under the sand its going to bend a rim. The front rim not having a safaty bead is a bit of a interesting conversation, Honda didnt put one on the front (neither do most other brands) so are they saying you will never get a flat in the front tire? If you have a puncture in the front with a tube you are in exactly the same situation as you are tubeless, in either situation there is no safety bead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts