Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got Alpina tubeless wheels ready to be mounted on my AT. I want to go tubeless not just for convenience of being easier to deal with flats on the road, but also from safety perspective. We know tubeless tyres are far less prone to sudden pressure lost and this might be the difference between be dead or alive in some edge incidents.

Anyway, I think as I am mounting a new tyres and wheels it would be also a good idea to setup TPMS as further safety enhancement. I was researching the options and get to three so far:
  • Cheap Chinese DIY with valve caps and battery powered receiver - £25
I actually gave a try one of these. It didn't work as one of the caps was not able to seal, it had missing parts from the kit and the customer support was bottom line. I guess you get what you pay and I have not a lot of confidence as we are talking safety here.

• Garmin valve caps - £135
This system is using the Garmin GPS as receiver with non standard, proprietary wireless link tech. It is quite expensive for just two caps (I already use supported Garmin device) and I saw very mixed feedback, especially around reliability of the connection. The advantage is it already integrates to existing mounted device (less clutter) and is dead easy to fit.

• Mobiletron system with strap in internal transmitters: here - £105
This is using internal "strapped on" sensors. This system would require more effort to fit as tyres needs to be off, the receiver also required to be hard-wired. The receiver is also bulky, won't match the AT dashboard design well and I do not like the shape too much. It is also not clear if it is weather and vibration proof from the details in the website. I have sent inquiry for more details to Mobiletron UK but has not response so far. The good news though is the link is using standard frequency so maybe transmitters would work with other receiver of choice.

In general neither of these is ideal, but I tend to like the last option most. I think vent cap sensors is quite a bit of compromise as they adds centrifugal mass and risk to damage the valves (needs to be metal). Also becomes single point of potential failure and I have not much trust at Chinese no name kits. Mobiletron is the only internal system kit I found available in UK and although it looks best option, it still not without compromises.

Do anyone has experience to share with non OEM TPMS systems?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Triumph do tpms OEM sensors, the new 900 tiger has them on the new tubeless rims, if you could get a stand alone receiver and pair them (if that’s possible), that would be the best solution.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have experience with the Garmin caps on another motorcycle and found them reliable, but had to carry batteries and changed a bit more often than I had guessed. I wrecked that bike in another state and didn't get to keep them. I never had any issues with reading sensitivity.

The one issue I had was when I had installed a metal angled valve stem on the front wheel...the extra length of the sensor interfered with the brake rotor...and I got to learn the hard way that was a $60 mistake and had to wait another week for a replacement.

So, I have another set being delivered for new 2020 Adventure and should be here next week. I'll be carrying spare batteries too.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think you got unlucky on the cheap Chinese TPMS, mine has been working flawlessly for the last year & a half. I've bought spare batteries, but am currently running on the original ones. The display unit has needed a recharge a few times but the pressure/temperature sensor units have been untouched.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Michelin also do their own brand sensors, which I was tempted to try. From memory about £80 a set I think. They looked good to me and backed up by a reputable company.

·
Super Moderator
6,785 Posts
From an other forum the only problems I have come across are things like: i) Sensor button battery was a lemon, ii) Phone app was not the latest version / or the older version "worked better".

·
Registered
200 Posts
While I know very little about TMS systems, I would want to avoid anything that holds open the valve and relies on a screw cap arrangement for air pressure tightness. You want a solution rather than another problem.
Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
6,785 Posts
At the very least: Currently expect to replace batteries within 12 to 18 months, maybe less in cold weather riding.

One day they will use the wheel motion to power the device instead of using batteries.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all replies.

While I know very little about TMS systems, I would want to avoid anything that holds open the valve and relies on a screw cap arrangement for air pressure tightness. You want a solution rather than another problem.
Exactly my thinking! I'd imagine most people would have no issues but I feel as cap design is enhancing the safety by adding monitor system but at the same time creating another, different type of weakness and hazard.

Mobiletron got back to me with comprehensive answer. Their receiver is IPX6 rated and designed specifically for motorcycle use. Sensors have sealed design and rated for 3 years battery life, which is a bit strange as all of their other internal sensors are rated for 7 years. Replacement sensors can be purchased separately for £30 each. They also provides 1 year warranty.

·
Super Moderator
6,785 Posts
Thanks for all replies.

Exactly my thinking! I'd imagine most people would have no issues but I feel as cap design is enhancing the safety by adding monitor system but at the same time creating another, different type of weakness and hazard.

Mobiletron got back to me with comprehensive answer. Their receiver is IPX6 rated and designed specifically for motorcycle use. Sensors have sealed design and rated for 3 years battery life, which is a bit strange as all of their other internal sensors are rated for 7 years. Replacement sensors can be purchased separately for £30 each. They also provides 1 year warranty.
Three year battery life by today's standard sounds pretty good to me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would want to avoid anything that holds open the valve and relies on a screw cap arrangement for air pressure tightness. You want a solution rather than another problem.
Good luck!
Yes, it seems a bit risky. But I've had no issue with my bike for over a year and a half using a TPMS with sensors that hold the valve open. I like it so much that I bought a TPMS for the car, so I've got 6 valves held open without issue. The car is used daily and I've had to replace the battery in 2 of the sensors, it is very quick and easy once you have done it for the first time and the batteries don't cost much (I'm using Panasonic CR1632).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After a bit further examination I realized Mobiletron internal sensors won't fit after all as the front rim is too narrow. I am giving up TPMS for now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts